Question Apollo or Saturn R ?

RoelDK

Apr 3, 2023
Visit site
I have a Rega Elicit R for which I am looking for a CD player. I am hesitating between an almost new Apollo (demo model) or a second-hand Saturn R in perfect condition but already several years old (2015) for about the same price. What would you guys do ?

RoelDK

Apr 3, 2023
Visit site
Providing you can be certain of it's condition and, that everything is working correctly, I would go with the Saturn R, it should sound better. Are you able to listen to them?
There is indeed the possibility of listening to the Saturn at the seller's house. It is 8 years old by now, but as a toploader, there is at least one less wearing mechanism. I just wonder if there is indeed a big sound difference with the Apollo and I cannot compare.

There is indeed the possibility of listening to the Saturn at the seller's house. It is 8 years old by now, but as a toploader, there is at least one less wearing mechanism. I just wonder if there is indeed a big sound difference with the Apollo and I cannot compare.
The Saturn-R if it's working fine. The biggest issues with CD players in general is the transport mechanism, but as Rega CDPs are top loading, assuming you can accommodate the top loader, it should be a no brainer.

Reactions: WayneKerr

RoelDK

Apr 3, 2023
Visit site
The Apollo is discontinued, while the Saturn is Mk3 version now.

I‘d also choose the full-width Saturn.

I can still obtain an Apollo demo model under full warranty. The new Saturn is said to differ from the previous Saturn R only on the outside while the latter visually matches my Elicit R more nicely.

I can still obtain an Apollo demo model under full warranty. The new Saturn is said to differ from the previous Saturn R only on the outside while the latter visually matches my Elicit R more nicely.
Glad you’re aware, as didn’t want you finding out later. Yes, negligible change on latest Saturn v3 I believe, except price increase!

Saturn r will hold its value, especially if you can get it at the same price as an ex dem Apollo.
I had the Apollo 2000 model, sounded very nice but I believe the Saturn is a better sounding player. If they still did them in silver…… 😊

matthewpianist

The Apollo-R and most recent Apollo are strange beasts. They get so much right and have a good sense of rhythm, but I've also found them slightly dark sounding. I think there are better all-rounders out there.

Stanthecat

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Glad you’re aware, as didn’t want you finding out later. Yes, negligible change on latest Saturn v3 I believe, except price increase!

I just upgraded to the Saturn. Pleased.
I now have a virtually new (yo) Apollo boxed and in a closet. They are bargains now since being discontinued.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts