Rega Elex-R, Elicit-R or what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Last BH weekend I had the Rega Elicit-R on home demo. Following on from the Elex-R home demo a couple of weeks previous, my initial impression was that it was nowhere near the same step up from the Elex-R, in comparison to the step up from my Rega Brio 2000 (38W) to the Elex-R. But one of the things I have learnt is you need to have a few days to play a good range of music at various volume levels and at various times of the day (moods) to get a proper feel for something.

The jump from the Elex-R's 72 watts to the Elicit-R's 105 watts (@8ohms) was not immediately obvious with bassy tracks, but once I played a few classical tracks the extra power became evident and on one track in particular (on a Saint Saens cd) the sudden power and scale of the lift in the music volume really stood out and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And similar to the Elex-R, the Elicit-R did not seem to go very loud quickly. but I think this was just that it was loud but much clearer than I am used to. Although I did manage to play one bassy track very loud where I could physical feel the volume of air bouncing off the walls.

The more music I played, the more I realised how much clearer the Elicit-R was and on quite a few occasions I was hearing sounds on tracks that I either had not noticed before or that sounded different/more pronounced than before. But, I also felt that the sound was very slightly on the bright side. On the plus side however, the soundstage was wider than the Elex-R. My speakers are 2.3m apart and the Elicit-R seemed to fill the space much more than the Elex-R did.

Prior to the weekend I had been away for a few days and driven 600+ miles, so on reflection the combination of being a little tired, a busy weekend, and playing much of the music louder than I would normally, probably contributed to the bright sound. However, once I was rested, and started relaxing more and playing music at lower volumes and at night, the brightness subsided. I use my hifi most later in the evenings to relax to. I spent several hours listening to albums I play regularly without any fatigue whatsoever. It was at these lower levels that I really started to enjoy the Elicit-R. In comparison to the Elex-R, the Elicit-R gave a more defined, fuller and clearer sound for those quieter night-time listening sessions.

I still have an open mind on which direction to go - the amp choice will form the basis of upgrading my complete system so there are lots of options, and I intend to arrange further demos to help me decide.

jonathanRD said:
I still have an open mind on which direction to go - the amp choice will form the basis of upgrading my complete system so there are lots of options, and I intend to arrange further demos to help me decide.

Hi jonathanRD

You should also try an hear Hegel's H80
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
jonathanRD said:

Hi jonathanRD

You should also try an hear Hegel's H80

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick, I've heard Hegel based systems twice both at the Bristol Show. In 2015 I heard the H160 driving a pair of Kef LS50's which sounded amazing, although this year they had some Kef Reference speakers that sounded a bit too 'digital' to me - although I had just spent the previous 20 minutes listening to some 'vinyl & valves'.

I want to home demo amps, and as I am in S.Wales I have no dealer anywhere near me.

burbster

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Very intresting listening to your comments, particularly the differences between the Elex and Elicit not being as great as the difference between the Elex and Brio, I guess thats the law of diminshing returns. As some one who just bought and Elex, and someone who also tried the DAC R, in my opinion, (as you said you were thinking about the DAC R) I don't think its is a good enough bit of kit to get the best out of the Elex. I opted for the Saturn R because the difference in quality both from CD (apollo) and other direct digital sources was significant.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
burbster said:
Very intresting listening to your comments, particularly the differences between the Elex and Elicit not being as great as the difference between the Elex and Brio, I guess thats the law of diminshing returns. As some one who just bought and Elex, and someone who also tried the DAC R, in my opinion, (as you said you were thinking about the DAC R) I don't think its is a good enough bit of kit to get the best out of the Elex. I opted for the Saturn R because the difference in quality both from CD (apollo) and other direct digital sources was significant.

The new Brio-R is 50wpc (I have the older 38wpc Brio) so maybe there is less of a difference between the current Brio-R and Elex-R, but I agree that the differences will be less obvious as you move up the ladder. My speakers might also be less able to show the differences too. If I was starting out from scratch I would be happy to have the Elex-R and Saturn-R as a combination.

The general consensus of those that have compared the Apollo-R/Dac-R with the Saturn-R is that the Saturn-R is significantly better. I understand that the Dac-R and Saturn-R have the same dac, so there is clearly other stuff going on in terms of the transport etc, that makes a difference. Another alternative suggested to me is to pair the Apollo with a Chord 2cute. So many options! *scratch_one-s_head*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Earlier this week the Exposure 3010S2D was kindly delivered to my house for a home demo. So after obviously noticing a difference immediately with the jump from my current amp to the Rega Elex-R and then to the Elicit-R, I am now demoing an amp in the same price range as the Elicit-R and there was no immediate difference or jump. The bass seemed less pronounced but the more I listened, the more I realised that the Exposure did not seem so forward as the Elicit-R.

To my ears at least, the Exposure just seemed to do everything well with no obvious weaknesses and no particular character. It just seems to be in balance and just gets on with reproducing the music without adding anything. The soundstage is very good, I can pick out instruments much more accurately and there appears to be some height to the soundstage as well. This amp works well with my Rega speakers and together they produce a wide open and clear sound. I also like the minimalist look of the amp. At the moment, if it was just down to how the amp makes me feel, I would choose the Exposure - I just feel more comfortable with it. I have to return it on Monday, so I still have the weekend to try it with a larger range of music.

I'm enjoying this demoing lark, it takes a few days to get a proper feel for the characteristics of each amp. I think I might try a few more *smile* - I said this would be a slow burner.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Earlier this week the Exposure 3010S2D was kindly delivered to my house for a home demo. So after obviously noticing a difference immediately with the jump from my current amp to the Rega Elex-R and then to the Elicit-R, I am now demoing an amp in the same price range as the Elicit-R and there was no immediate difference or jump. The bass seemed less pronounced but the more I listened, the more I realised that the Exposure did not seem so forward as the Elicit-R.

To my ears at least, the Exposure just seemed to do everything well with no obvious weaknesses and no particular character. It just seems to be in balance and just gets on with reproducing the music without adding anything. The soundstage is very good, I can pick out instruments much more accurately and there appears to be some height to the soundstage as well. This amp works well with my Rega speakers and together they produce a wide open and clear sound. I also like the minimalist look of the amp. At the moment, if it was just down to how the amp makes me feel, I would choose the Exposure - I just feel more comfortable with it. I have to return it on Monday, so I still have the weekend to try it with a larger range of music.

I'm enjoying this demoing lark, it takes a few days to get a proper feel for the characteristics of each amp. I think I might try a few more *smile* - I said this would be a slow burner.

Getting the amps from the same dealer?

Its good you have realized that a quick demo.in a shop tells you nothing about the sound.

I find that in quick shop demos the ones that immediately impress are not that good unless you are conditioned as to what to listen for

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Getting the amps from the same dealer?

Its good you have realized that a quick demo.in a shop tells you nothing about the sound.

I find that in quick shop demos the ones that immediately impress are not that good unless you are conditioned as to what to listen for

The Exposure amp was from a different dealer to the Rega amps. The Rega dealer also has Arcam and Naim so I could demo their equivalents in price to the Elicit-R (I originally demoed the A29 and Nait 5si),

Any other demos now would have to be a new dealer and involve a long drive or arranging for an amp to be couriered to me. There is a danger that the more I try the more confused I will become, but on the otherhand at least I will have tried a good range of amps and should be reasonably content that I bought the one that suited me best.

I am trying to concentrate on which one sounds the best without worrying about dacs, phono stages and cdps. Thinking about an amp's feature set and what to pair it with is for another day.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I did say that this thread would be a slow burner. Been really busy in work leading a project that is going to run for two years, which has curtailed my intended travels to demo more amps.

I wanted to listen to the Creek 100A, especially as I like the look of the Creek components and they are a little less expensive than some of their rivals. I eventually tracked down a dealer who stocked the Creek 100A and Exposure 3010S2D. When I contacted them, they agreed to demo both amps but suggested they add the Naim Nait XS2 to the 'bake off'. I won't mention the dealer by name, but basically he said that the Naim had PRaT, the Creek was sweet, and the Exposure had grunt.

It just needed me to find a day off work to make the hour long drive to get a listen to these 3 amps through a pair of floorstanders of the dealer's choice as long as they were circa £1500 to £2000.

Just my luck recently when I planned my day off, that when I called the dealer, the Creek had gone back, and they had sold the Naim. But the dealer, who did like to chat for England, still favoured the Exposure, which was quite reassuring as so far I had liked the Exposure best too. With no likelihood of the Creek or Naim coming back any time soon, I said that I would get back to them about a demo.

So what next? I would like to hear the AVI DM10's and I would like to get to hear Colin's Nord amps plus the IPL speakers. They say variety is the spice of life!

In the meantime, I saw some refurbished Creek Destiny's on ebay for £700 but they are all in silver rather than my preferred black. If they had a black one (they don't as I've checked) I would have got one at that price.

So no more days off for a while, and in the meantime I'll keep looking out for a bargain, *smile*

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
so.. I'm not going to recommend Vincent but they will send you a unit for home demo by courier. It's no good me recommending or outrightly saying that this is the amp you need and it'll do everything you want, but it will be another amp to audition, at home, with your setup, at your leisure - and that I can definitely recommend! Built like a tank for your long-term investment. Good luck in your quest.

www.vincentshop.co.uk

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This thread is clearly going nowhere quickly (!) but I'll add that cyrus imho embodies the best traits of the other main stream products such as Exposure, Naim, Rega and Arcam.

Fast, detail, PRAT and body to the sound.

You don't need to go far up the range. Stick to the 8 series for musicality. Any more and you get a more 'hifi' sound. Looks good in rooms too.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
paulkebab said:
so.. I'm not going to recommend Vincent but they will send you a unit for home demo by courier. It's no good me recommending or outrightly saying that this is the amp you need and it'll do everything you want, but it will be another amp to audition, at home, with your setup, at your leisure - and that I can definitely recommend! Built like a tank for your long-term investment. Good luck in your quest.

www.vincentshop.co.uk

Thanks Paul, never heard of Vincent before, might have given them a try, but alas I have found my bargain!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
This thread is clearly going nowhere quickly (!) but I'll add that cyrus imho embodies the best traits of the other main stream products such as Exposure, Naim, Rega and Arcam.

Fast, detail, PRAT and body to the sound.

You don't need to go far up the range. Stick to the 8 series for musicality. Any more and you get a more 'hifi' sound. Looks good in rooms too.

I'm sorry DM, shall I speed up a bit? *smile*

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally I would not go for any Rega electronics.

After 3 faulty Elicit Rs I just lost faith - gone over to Primare best decision I ever made - no nagging doubts now.

QC at Rega is left to customers now - can't fault the aftersales, but 3 bloody amps, 2nd amp they said they checked it but the LH channel of phono stage was faulty - when I challenged my dealer to challenge Rega they said they just tested the Line outputs 2,3,4,5 - surely anybody buying an Elicit R will more than likely want the phono stage.

I know the stuff sounds good, but that's all.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Personally I would not go for any Rega electronics.

After 3 faulty Elicit Rs I just lost faith - gone over to Primare best decision I ever made - no nagging doubts now.

QC at Rega is left to customers now - can't fault the aftersales, but 3 bloody amps, 2nd amp they said they checked it but the LH channel of phono stage was faulty - when I challenged my dealer to challenge Rega they said they just tested the Line outputs 2,3,4,5 - surely anybody buying an Elicit R will more than likely want the phono stage.

I know the stuff sounds good, but that's all.

haha! I bet your'e banned in Southend on Sea, you'd be run off the end of the pier if they ever caught you there*biggrin*

Didn't you have the Brio-r before your triple wammy?

I've always been very satisfied with all my Rega gear, and when I started to consider upgrading, Rega was an obvious place to start. It would have been easy not so look any further, 5 star reviews, my local dealer saying how popular Rega is, 'selling like hotcakes' apparently. If you had not had so many problems with successive Elicits, would you still have one now?

S

SemiChronic

Hi, i know this might go against the grain, and im probably only reccomending it because ive got one. The Cambridge 851A. Paired with good speakers and a good source i thini youd be impressed. Just a suggestion if youre struggling to audition, richers usually have the better Roksans available too.

Had this amp about a year now and love it, so much so i even upgraded my streamer to 851N and feel my hifi is pretty much complete, unless i get into 20/30k territory.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes without a doubt, I must say I have been very unlucky!

Rega were superb in all this - after the 3rd faulty I knocked the box while packing off the table and the corner went straight through my speaker mid woofer - Rega replaced it and gave me a Couple I/C too.

Im afraid to say you read too many stories about Rega QC issues now - I also bought a Rega RP8 recently - the plinth was warped so after numerous Twitter DMs to Rega they sent me a new outer plinth - guess what this is slightly warped too - the feet are not flush with the top shelf of my rack ! £1598 for that is poor IMO - however the deck sounds nice, but the fact the feet are not flush annoys me...so no more Rega for me - albeit Rega gear sounds great for the price.

I just have a Rega DAC now - saving up for the media streaming board for my Primare amp then its goodbye Rega altother.

I would always recommend Rega on a budget - but now I have gone up a level in my my gear - the equivalent Rega offerings do not cut it IMO.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading these forums teaches you a few things, especially home demos and if you are patient, you don't always have to pay full price for gear.

So I've heard a few amps I like, and one I liked best. I did try to listen to others, but work committments have made things difficult. There was more gear I wanted to listen to, and I have the patience to bide my time. And I was staring at a few hour long drives for further demos.

Then last night I saw an offer too good to ignore, and my wife said stop messing about and go for it. Once the deal is concluded I will reveal my acquisition *dance4*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have purchased the Exposure 3010S2D Pre-amplifier plus the DAC module, and 2 x 3010S2 Mono Power amplifiers.

This was not on my radar at all, but a deal too good to miss suddenly presented itself. They are being delivered by the seller personally tomorrow. All brand new, full dealer and manufacture warranties.

I'll post more info when I get a chance, need to spend some time re-arranging my AV stand to accomodate the power amplifiers. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts