Rega Elex-R Amplifier, First Audition

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Hey Valdmir,

I know the transformer is not shielded and there is not even a heatsink to use as a barrier, but I really hear no hum at all. Maybe some people will? I guess the sides of the case are used. for the heatsinks. Or maybe there is another layer of metal on the sides for it, hard to tell.

I do not know what size the transformer is. Do you know? I am not sure if that would fit into a Brio-R's case or not. Maybe I need to open it up and take a look.

Don't open it up, don't bother about transformers, enjoy its purpose.

Did you test it with other speakers than the ProAcs?

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably open it up. I do that with all of my amps. I'm too curious and like to see the inside first hand. Never know there might be a mouse inside of it.

The Proacs are my only speakers right now. So the Proacs and the Vandersteen 2CE Signature's from the demo are the only ones so far.

matthewpiano

Vladimir said:
Happy_Listner said:
Hey Valdmir,

I know the transformer is not shielded and there is not even a heatsink to use as a barrier, but I really hear no hum at all. Maybe some people will? I guess the sides of the case are used. for the heatsinks. Or maybe there is another layer of metal on the sides for it, hard to tell.

I do not know what size the transformer is. Do you know? I am not sure if that would fit into a Brio-R's case or not. Maybe I need to open it up and take a look.

One of the best things I've seen you write Vladimir and good advice. :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Vladimir said:
Happy_Listner said:
Hey Valdmir,

One of the best things I've seen you write Vladimir and good advice. :)

Happy_Listner said:
I'll probably open it up. I do that with all of my amps. I'm too curious and like to see the inside first hand. Never know there might be a mouse inside of it.

The Proacs are my only speakers right now. So the Proacs and the Vandersteen 2CE Signature's from the demo are the only ones so far.

I can't stop a tinkering mind, it appears. Icarus bravely flying towards the burning sun of knowledge, with a Philips screwdriver in his hand, to get his audiophile wax and feather wings melted off.

"Oh no! General purpose 1 cent Samwha caps, unshielded power supply and cheap opamps as preamp and phono! And I paid $1800 for this! "

If he only opened a brochure instead of the machine. Falling down to the rational abyss, never to experience the beauty of audiophile flight again.

tissue2.gif

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha :)

I'll be fine Vlad. I'm not that proficient in the detection of parts quality anyways. I am sure there are some cheap parts in there. You know more about that than I do. You should have seen my Creek 4330 volume pot I had replaced. That original one must cost them about 1 Euro. At the end of the day it's all about sound quality anyways right? I know there are some amps out there using cheap parts but still sound good.

Besides, I have an Ace up my sleeve in the form of a 30 day money back guarantee on the Rega. So feel free to lay it on thick with any knowledge you might have about the Elex-R's parts. Live and learn is how I like to roll.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
OK. *biggrin*

Those same cheap parts go in Meridian, Naim, Rega, Roksan, nothing to loose sleep over. What is interesting about the Elex-R is the amp topology, which is a 60 year old tube amp, the Mullard EL84. I am really currious how this modern SS recreation sounds/amplifies. Particullary how it reproduces instrument timbre and the lower frequency time domain (how it interacts with the woofer). Is a cello raspy and crisp or deep and full? Can you hear a difference between a fretless and fretted bass guitar? Can you differentiate different drum kit tuning for rock, jazz and metal etc. If those don't mush together sounding the same, that is a bloody good amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
What is interesting about the Elex-R is the amp topology, which is a 60 year old tube amp, the Mullard EL84. I am really currious how this modern SS recreation sounds/amplifies.

I would guess the circuit is based 'very loosely' on an old Mullard (the EL84 is the tube)

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
OK. *biggrin*

Those same cheap parts go in Meridian, Naim, Rega, Roksan, nothing to loose sleep over. What is interesting about the Elex-R is the amp topology, which is a 60 year old tube amp, the Mullard EL84. I am really currious how this modern SS recreation sounds/amplifies. Particullary how it reproduces instrument timbre and the lower frequency time domain (how it interacts with the woofer). Is a cello raspy and crisp or deep and full? Can you hear a difference between a fretless and fretted bass guitar? Can you differentiate different drum kit tuning for rock, jazz and metal etc. If those don't mush together sounding the same, that is a bloody good amp.

Terry Bateman used the EL84 as the basis for design on the Brio R & Elicit R too.

I owned an Elicit R for some months, its a very transparent, clean amp which showed up poor recordings for what they were and displayed beautifully how well some music is mastered. To me this is how an amp should sound - not coloured.

Have not heard the Elex R, but would imagine its a lovely sounding amp - dont worry about the innards - just bloody enjoy the thing!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Vladimir said:
OK. *biggrin*

Terry Bateman used the Mullard (which used EL84s obviously) as the basis for design on the Brio R & Elicit R too. The reasoning behind was to get it sounding clean with no colouration as much as possible.

I owned an Elicit R for some months, its a very transparent, clean amp which showed up poor recordings for what they were and displayed beautifully how well some music is mastered. To me this is how an amp should sound - not coloured.

Have not heard the Elex R, but would imagine its a lovely sounding amp - dont worry about the innards - just bloody enjoy the thing!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It has a story and British hi-fi pedigree built into it because of the Mullard. Considering it's based on the same topology as the Elicit-R, it means it is heavily biased Class AB, closer towards Class A. Good for music and coffee mugs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It has a story and British hi-fi pedigree built into it because of the Mullard. Considering it's based on the same topology as the Elicit-R, it means it is heavily biased Class AB, closer towards Class A. Good for music and coffee mugs.

How did you know my coffee mug was valve driven?

15483887196_4a447557c2_o.jpg

Scanned from the old Bush DAC.10 Valve tabletop radio.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:

How did you know my coffee mug was valve driven?

Scanned from the old Bush DAC.10 Valve tabletop radio.

Now that is cool.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Did you I thought you had 3 or 4 for a few weeks.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

Steve is on a very special Rega thoughtcrime diet, enforced by Paul Darwin himself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

For God's sake, let us not sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of amplifiers.

(Apologies to W. Shakespeare who was mulling on regicide not Regacide.)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

I did but the 1st one lasted 4 months - the following 3 lasted weeks - shame loved that amp

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

I did but the 1st one lasted 4 months - the following 3 lasted weeks - shame loved that amp

I see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts