Qality power cables - do they make a difference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my system but it has been suggested I buy quality mains cables before looking at upgrading. I am currently using Arcam 8 CD/Tag McLaren DAC 20 with AudioLab 8000S/P (now 10+ years old) combo with System Audio speakers (just changed speakers from Mission 752 Freedom).

If mains cables do make a significant difference, how much should one spend on them £50-100-150-200?

Choices of upgrade include:

new CD player - Cyrus CD8SE/Power Combo or Primare CD31

Move to new Audiolab Monoblocks and use 8000S in pre-amp mode.

I listen to most types of music particularly the likes of Clapton, Elton John, Rod Stewart, instrumental, etc...

My first post, so comments greatly appreciated.

JNP

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if you are sceptical try buying a tacima mains block not tried myself - next level up merlin tarrantula mains block (i do own), you will notice a big improvement in stereo imaging and clarity - i find you can then turn up that little bit higher - if you don't then don't buy individual cables - if it does then buy one for each component

what speaker cable do you have?

A

Anonymous

Speaker cable - Nordost flat bi-wire. Thanks for your feedback. You have articulated what I'm trying to achieve - improvement in stereo imaging and clarity.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Agreed Tacima CS929 should be your first buy, then try clearer audio copper line mains (£35) or Russ Andrews Powerkord both companies do money back gaurantee so get both and see which you prefer. Will definately be an improvement if you are just using equipment supplied leads.

A

Anonymous

Again, thanks for your replies. I'll move forward with the cables first and try to maximise current system. I did notice quite a bit of mains noise from one of the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Just the one? This seems rather unlikely... although I'm quite happy for someone to set me straight on this.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i currently have a hum on just one channel but think that might be down to the speaker cable being coiled its 5m long and only 1.5 from the amp - going to try and sort when i remove a power amp and wire in the sub sometime this week

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts