Do HDMI cables make a difference?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
relocated - I had been preparing a reply over the past 15 minutes, but was thwarted by a freeze moment. All is lost.

All I'm going to say instead is that your post is a typical post displaying that people will read what they want from a post.

For the record, I haven't compared any ethernet or USB cables.

You should be a politician David, lots of words - never an answer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
You should be a politician David, lots of words - never an answer.

There was a lot more in the lost post.

And I'd love to be a politician, as I'd do far more for people than the current muppets do, who are in it for themselves. Although, doing what I feel is right would probably lose me the job.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Do you also manage to train your mind to overcome 'trickery' like image retention when multiple still images are flashed in quick succession to give the impression of movement?

Can you overcome the subjective impression of three dimensional sound soming from two stereo speakers when it's not really there?

Do you actually sit there - listening or watching - knowing it's all trickery and refusing to believe - on a scientific level - what you are seeing or hearing?

no - that's my point though. Although I know that those lines aren't sloped, there's not really anything I can do stop seeing them as sloped. There's some things, that no matter how hard we try, our brain is always going to do what it wants.

I can listen to things in ignorant bliss, however, when it comes to parting with my hard earned cash, I want to make sure that what I'm spending my money on is actually worthwhile *to me*.....because I'm tight :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Maybe because room treatment is a more visual thing? A cable is needed either way. With more buyer's not being allowed by their other half to buy the speakers they want, I would guess that some room treatments would be a step too far towards being single :)

that's a good point actually, hadn't thought of that. Guess from being the in the studio a fair bit and suchlike, It kind of pains to see me when people are in what could be best described as an echo chamber for a room with an expensive stereo and then asking what cables they can use to recify sound issues, when it's the room that needs treating not the equipment. That's just a personal grrrr though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe because room treatment is a more visual thing? A cable is needed either way. With more buyers not being allowed by their other half to buy the speakers they want, I would guess that some room treatments would be a step too far towards being single :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Maybe because room treatment is a more visual thing? A cable is needed either way. With more buyer's not being allowed by their other half to buy the speakers they want, I would guess that some room treatments would be a step too far towards being single :)

that's a good point actually, hadn't thought of that. Guess from being the in the studio a fair bit and suchlike, It kind of pains to see me when people are in what could be best described as an echo chamber for a room with an expensive stereo and then asking what cables they can use to recify sound issues, when it's the room that needs treating not the equipment. That's just a personal grrrr though.

My current personal "grrrr" is auto correct - I don't know what Apple have done to it, but it's not working for me like it used to.

I agree. There are some things that will sort out problems and some that just won't, no matter how much you plough into it. I sort of disagree with room EQ as well, as you're altering the signal that is fed to the speaker in order to combat issues that have nothing to do with the speaker. I'm guessing studios don't use room EQ when they're monitoring/mastering - that would be a crazy idea. Or maybe that's why a lot of things sound pants nowadays, because some studios are!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
My current personal "grrrr" is auto correct - I don't know what Apple have done to it, but it's not working for me like it used to.

:0 so true :)

David@FrankHarvey said:
I agree. There are some things that will sort out problems and some that just won't, no matter how much you plough into it. I sort of disagree with room EQ as well, as you're altering the signal that is fed to the speaker in order to combat issues that have nothing to do with the speaker. I'm guessing studios don't use room EQ when they're monitoring/mastering - that would be a crazy idea. Or maybe that's why a lot of things sound pants nowadays, because some studios are!

Room eq has it's places though. Live gigs would be a nightmare without eq'ing for a room. But generally, no, a studio creates the room to be a flat response.

As for things sounding pants, loudness wars aside, sometimes it's just a generation thing and what people are used to. Things get mixed differently for different generations. Sometimes...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts