Cables will make a difference

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
This is interesting for more than the obvous reason.

Some additional context here and here

You cannot imagine that anything this candid appearing on a Roksan/Naim/Arcam facebook page anytime soon, let alone the really big boys.

Hmmn.

Only watched the first one. He may have been dumbing it down for his audience, but his description of the impact of jitter is completely incorrect. It is not the amplitude of the samples that is in error, it is their positioning in time that causes the problem. The ring buffer / reclock solution to input jitter is widely used, I don't know why he regards that as being a unique solution. Compensating for cable effects by a loading network on the S/PDIF coax input is transmission line theory 1.01, and has been a technique used since the telephone was invented.

One point he didn't cover was if the ring buffer / reclock jitter solution worked as advertised, why is he bothering about cleaning up the S/PDIF clock with his fancy loading network.

A better description than usual, but I would still only give it a B+.

SteveR750

Which is interesting Andy, as the usual response sonically is A++

I haven't heard them yet, but next week will be comparing one of their amps to the ATC 150 integrated, which I think sounds fantastic.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why not be straightforward and just say we use an industry standard re-timing anti-jitter circuit, and our gear is focused on luxury build for audiophiles with nice cases and functionality.

Stop selling me a 1$ AJCs, that exists for 30 years, as a novelty exotica FFS. Talk about the pretty box.

[ranting at the Hegel guy, not you Steve]

TrevC

davidvann said:
what i dont understand is if cables dosent make a diffrence why is it i cant see people's signature speaker cable' bell wire',why on one hand some people post cables dont make a diffrence tell us not to buy hifi bling cos its a waste of money but then told tobuy a thick cable with thicker strands from maplin or b@q surely if its all in are heads, bell wire is all we will need surely as dose the same job as the thicker cable.

bombs away .

david

Bell wire isn't suitable because it has too high resistance. It's important that speaker wire is low resistance because of the low impedances involved. Your audio signal will be dissipated as heat in the wire otherwise.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davidvann said:
what i dont understand is if cables dosent make a diffrence why is it i cant see people's signature speaker cable' bell wire',why on one hand some people post cables dont make a diffrence tell us not to buy hifi bling cos its a waste of money but then told tobuy a thick cable with thicker strands from maplin or b@q surely if its all in are heads, bell wire is all we will need surely as dose the same job as the thicker cable.

bombs away .

david

David,

I think if you read the thread carefully, no one is saying cables don't make a difference - of course they do.

What is being said is that one perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable will sound exactly the same as any other perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Which is interesting Andy, as the usual response sonically is A++

I haven't heard them yet, but next week will be comparing one of their amps to the ATC 150 integrated, which I think sounds fantastic.

They may well make great sounding gear, but Anders doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to jitter, and their 'unique' approach is used by many other manufacturers.

Lets agree to give them the benefit of the doubt and say Anders is in the marketing department.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
[/quote] What is being said is that one perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable will sound exactly the same as any other perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable.[/quote]

if you can't notice the difference, you can't notice the difference.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
What is being said is that one perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable will sound exactly the same as any other perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable.[/quote]

[/quote]

I often hear differences - that on closer investigation are due to a bias of some form on my part.

You?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
What is being said is that one perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable will sound exactly the same as any other perfectly good, adequately thick, properly specified cable.

[/quote]

I often hear differences - that on closer investigation are due to a bias of some form on my part.

You?

[/quote]

This is the single biggest miss-understanding by cable 'advocates'.

They actually think that cable 'sceptics' dont hear a difference......*ROFL*

Hearing the difference is the easy part, the difficult bit is working out what is actually causing the difference that we do hear.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
[/quote] This is the single biggest miss-understanding by cable 'advocates'. They actually think that cable 'sceptics' dont hear a difference......*ROFL* [/quote]

If they hear a difference, they hear a difference.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
This is the single biggest miss-understanding by cable 'advocates'. They actually think that cable 'sceptics' dont hear a difference......*ROFL* [/quote]

[/quote]

How can you know if you are hearing a difference or perceiving a difference? What you think you 'hear' is a result of your brain processing multiple sensory inputs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
This is the single biggest miss-understanding by cable 'advocates'. They actually think that cable 'sceptics' dont hear a difference......*ROFL*

[/quote]

How can you know if you are hearing a difference or perceiving a difference? What you think you 'hear' is a result of your brain processing multiple sensory inputs.

[/quote]

Shhhhushhhhh. You can't say things like that, you must "Trust your ears".

Oh, wait a minute...............*ROFL*

SteveR750

This is the single biggest miss-understanding by cable 'advocates'. They actually think that cable 'sceptics' dont hear a difference......*ROFL* [/quote]

[/quote]

There are probably two types of cable sceptics - those that are absolutely sure they cannot ergo there is no difference, and the other group that might possibly hear a tiny difference, but that could just be my mind playing tricks difference. They might accept that there is a scientifically measurable difference too, but frankly the utterly ridiculous p*** taking prices make it a totally pointless option.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
What amazes on here is that the 'non-believers' feel the need to hammer out their opinions again, again and ... yaeeee ... again :)

The same thing can be said for both sides.

But yes I do agree it is silly. I'm not even sure why I still read these threads?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
There are probably two types of cable sceptics - those that are absolutely sure they cannot ergo there is no difference, and the other group that might possibly hear a tiny difference, but that could just be my mind playing tricks difference. They might accept that there is a scientifically measurable difference too, but frankly the utterly ridiculous p*** taking prices make it a totally pointless option.

The second option is sufficient for the cable cottage industry to thrive. Maybe is good enough for snake oil to sell.

Selling an 'audio cable' or 'audio capacitor' are all taking a p*** at any price. Low resistance cable and low ESR capacitors are preferable for any application in electronics.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
FFNQ851GVZPH2WO.MEDIUM.jpg

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
What amazes on here is that the 'non-believers' feel the need to hammer out their opinions again, again and ... yaeeee ... again :)

The same thing can be said for both sides.

But yes I do agree it is silly. I'm not even sure why I still read these threads?

Nope. I disagree. Yes, for the people who have seen it time and time again, these threads are annoying possibly and boring possibly.

But there are new people coming into it all the time.

And speaking personally, I like to make sure that whenever a cable recommendation is made, that they be aware that there is scientific evidence against most of the claims that the cable makers make.

It "is" possible that 2 slightly different cables will have an effect on the sound of a system, but those differences are so minute that they can't be picked out in any blind testing (unless someone has a link to share). All the blind tests on cables that I have seen have produced non-conclusive results.

Once you get a well made, low resistance copper stranded cable, that is it. There is NEVER any need to swap it. Not unless you happen to like the colour of the sleeve or like to show off your Hi-fi bling to your mates (assuming you have any)

And yes, I can and do hear differences. Just not when I don't know which is which...That's how the brain works...You can "see" a difference, the brain assumes there is, when in reality, the only change is perception.

All a huge con.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh,.... @ Reijer....respect.

But be aware regardless of your results and efforts it will not change the opinions of some.

But yeah, I tip my hat to you Sir, for trying.

Now wouldn't it be interesting if the skeptics made such an effort!

Its so easy to type 'wrong' 'meaningless' etc.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

But be aware regardless of your results and efforts it will not change the opinions of some.

The sceptics have made the effort and run the tests already, thats why they are sceptical.

I and other 'sceptics' have linked to multiple studies, tests and analysis that have shown that two similar cables will sound the same when tests are performed in a way to remove suggestion bias.

What about a link to a study that shows the opposite?

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Yes props to Reijer for doing this. However, I think no one of us skeptics will claim that the differences between analog audio cables are unmeasurable, in fact they are easily measured. The claim is that the differences are so tiny that they are not audible. Closing your curtains (if you have them) will have a far greater impact on in-room response than different speaker cables.

What we all have done, is a blind test with speaker cables, and we found the differences disappeared between cables. Now wouldn't it be interesting if the believers would make this effort, and report their results. Yes, it is not easy to set-up and takes some time, but worth it!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Er..... Don't think that's true Andy, few on here would actually do a or should I say attempt to do a 'proper scientifical' test to prove anything.

I confess I would not. Just grabbing links off the internet does not count

Someone linked to a Hegal video - an amp maker trying to achieve 'total transparency' I think, apparently - the guy in the video actual mentioned cables in relation to this goal, it made me chuckle.

andyjm said:
Thompsonuxb said:

The sceptics have made the effort and run the tests already, thats why they are sceptical.

I and other 'sceptics' have linked to multiple studies, tests and analysis that have shown that two similar cables will sound the same when tests are performed in a way to remove suggestion bias.

What about a link to a study that shows the opposite?

?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Thing is Laurens_B that's what this is all about, those small seemingly insignificant differences.

One cable allows ambiance around a singers voice another does not, one rolls off the lowest bass notes the other does not - really small differences that make all the difference to ones listening pleasure.

No one is suggesting a cable will make a guitar sound like a banjo or anything like that.

Just the nuances that put the hifi into...er...hifi.

And everyone as done the simple tests, that's one of my party games.

Laurens_B said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Yes props to Reijer for doing this. However, I think no one of us skeptics will claim that the differences between analog audio cables are unmeasurable, in fact they are easily measured. The claim is that the differences are so tiny that they are not audible. Closing your curtains (if you have them) will have a far greater impact on in-room response than different speaker cables.?

What we all have done, is a blind test with speaker cables, and we found the differences disappeared between cables. Now wouldn't it be interesting if the believers would make this effort, and report their results. Yes, it is not easy to set-up and takes some time, but worth it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts