Once you listen to Adam, you're always an Adam!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I just brought these today!!! Oh man all those positive reviews of the Adam A7V's on YouTube has got me broke!

It was my intention to purchase the A7X (pair), as it was the preceding model and many online stores were selling these off cheaply. Andersons had the last stock, I blinked and they were gone. I then tried my luck on eBay. There were quite a few being auctioned. So I played the roulette wheel on eBay, came close but got outbid by someone more nutty than me. I wasn't prepared to pay £700 or close to it for 2nd hand monitors.

I thought ah WTF, in for a penny in for a pound, after looking around for non-Adam alternatives, I was tempted by the Focal EVO 65 active speakers, as these matched my Focal Sub One, the sound would be more uniform, it made sense, was I prepared to sacrifice the expansion and clarity of the Adams? The Focal's were more HiFi than Adams A7X, more rounded, not as detailed in the top frequencies but some noted fatigue in the treble. I even had in my shopping basket the Eve SC207 but in the end, I opted for the Adam A7V.

I got the Adam A7Vs (pair) from Scan at a good price, everyone else was selling close to its original retail price £600 per speaker and Scan has PayPal, this allows you to pay by 4 instalments.

I was listening to that guy and many others, particularly, Simon Price from 13th Note, I won't provide the link, I believe or I may be wrong but he's been barred from WHF so I don't wish to stir the wraith of the modulators but do check out the YouTube review. He's an audio HiFi enthusiast not a studio monitoring pro, but it was interesting to hear his take on the Adams, and he's come to the conclusion, after the Eversolo DMP-A6 that these were the most significant discovery he's made. This guy hates cables, so you have to give him some credit or maybe not :ROFLMAO: .

I've always said, Adam near field monitors are also mighty fine HiFi Speakers. I'm expecting these baby's to arrive this week along with my desktop Gorilla speaker stands and if I haven't already given you all, nausea, I might give my feedback, in case any of you were thinking of purchasing the A7V's.
There's something about AMT tweeters, the high end is much better on your ears but no design is perfect and does have it's flaws but I do wish more manufacturers adopt it. Wharfedale has AMT tweeters on their top of the range, it's a start.

I do believe the way forward is active speakers with each unit having its own amplification, it makes sense to cut out the middleman and route your DAC directly into the speakers.

The A7V's are superior by far but they don't have volume or power button at the front, it's a shame but I was swayed by the digital DSP and if you have ethernet connection, you can download the Sonarworks software from Adams site, so you can acoustically tune these to your room settings which is really neat. The woofer is made from crushed granite, glass and fibre and it is claimed to offer excellent damping and rigidity, I was intrigued, oh I'm such a S*ut!

I really wanted the old version A7X with the knobs on the front because I'm too lazy to fiddle with the dials at the back, and I was even considering moving over to Adam's other German rival Eve (Adam and Eve, get it!), no seriously, Eve is relatively new, it was set up in the 90's and it's no spare rib, they also make mighty fine products, which are generally cheaper than the Adams, so I was really tempted with the Eve SC07 studio monitors and most importantly, they have the volume controls at the front, much cheaper than even the A7X's and everyone is raving about them.

I was on the Box Music website, I actually placed the SC07 in my shopping cart but I thought I do the due diligence and check the customer reviews, gone through them, great, great yep, great, yep yep great, good and I came across 1 star, everybody else consistently gave 5 stars and some 4s. I was concerned. It was some French guy Cyril, Why? Why Froggies have to spoil it all?
I had Google translator....poor components, poor reliability, rubbish this rubbish that....that was it One Bad Apple ruins the cart (no pun intended), so I aborted.

Anyway I coughed out a lot for the A7Vs, these will most likely be the last speakers I ever owe because when I eventually hit retirement age, I'm going to be much poorer. May I have more bowl of soup Sir, MORE, MORE. So yes enjoy while you're able to :)

Oh by the way, I'm putting the T5V's on eBay, dirt cheap if anyone is interested?
1698940283735.png
1698940366348.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

I just brought these today!!! Oh man all those positive reviews on the Tube of the A7V's has got me broke!
I did intend to purchase the A7X (pair) predecessor on eBay, got outbid on auction, I wasn't prepared to pay £700 or close to it for 2nd hand monitors.
I got the Adam T7Vs (pair) from Scan at a good price, everyone else was selling close to its original retail price £600 per speaker and Scan has PayPal, this allows you to pay by 4 instalments.

I was listening to that guy and many others, particularly, Simon Price from 13th Note, I won't provide the link, I believe or I may be wrong but he's been barred from WHF so I don't wish to stir the wraith of the modulators but do check out the YouTube review. He's an audio HiFi enthusiast not a studio monitoring pro, but it was interesting to hear his take on the Adams, and he's come to the conclusion, after the Eversolo DMP-A6 that these were the most significant discovery he's made. This guy hates cables, so you have to give him some credit or maybe not :ROFLMAO: .

I've always said, Adam near field monitors are also mighty fine HiFi Speakers. I'm expecting these baby's to arrive this week along with my desktop Gorilla speaker stands and if I haven't already given you all, nausea, I might give my feedback, in case any of you were thinking of purchasing the A7V's.
There's something about AMT tweeters, the high end is much better on your ears but no design is perfect and does have it's flaws but I do wish more manufacturers adopt it. Wharfedale has AMT tweeters on their top of the range, it's a start.

I do believe the way forward is active speakers with each unit having its own amplification, it makes sense to cut out the middleman and route your DAC directly into the speakers.

The A7V's are superior by far by but they don't have volume or power button at the front, it's a shame but I was swayed by the digital DSP and if you have ethernet connection, you can download the Sonic-Works software from Adams site, so you can acoustically tune these to your room settings which is really neat. The woofer is made from crushed granite, glass and fibre and it is claimed to offer excellent damping and rigidity, I was intrigued, oh I'm such a S*ut!

I really wanted the old version A7X with the knobs on the front because I'm too lazy to fiddle with the dials at the back, and I was even considering moving over to Adam's other German rival Eve (Adam and Eve, get it!), no seriously, Eve is relatively new, it was set up in the 90's and it's no spare rib, they also make mighty fine products, which are generally cheaper than the Adams, so I was really tempted with the Eve SC07 studio monitors and most importantly, they have the volume controls at the front, much cheaper than even the A7X's and everyone is raving about them.

I was on the Box Music website, I actually placed the SC07 in my shopping cart but I thought I do the due diligence and check the customer reviews, gone through them, great, great yep, great, yep yep great, good and I came across 1 star, everybody else consistently gave 5 stars and some 4s. I was concerned. It was some French guy Cyril, Why? Why Froggies have to spoil it all?
I had Google translator....poor components, poor reliability, rubbish this rubbish that....that was it One Bad Apple ruins the cart (no pun intended), so I aborted.

Anyway I coughed out a lot for the A7Vs, these will most likely be the last speakers I ever owe because when I eventually hit retirement age, I'm going to be much poorer. May I have more bowl of soup Sir, MORE, MORE. So yes enjoy while you're able to :)

Oh by the way, I'm putting the T5V's on eBay, dirt cheap if anyone is interested?
View attachment 5435
View attachment 5436
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Z9NMPKu5M

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Did you heed the advice from Simon in the video, regarding cables, and use some from a pro music store and not the "total horse ****" hi-fi brand products he previously recommended ?!
Simon has a view like many people on this forum.
Listening to both pro and anti cable camp, kind of makes you question more and that's not a bad thing.
I believe a good quality cable can make a difference but I don't buy the myth that super expensive cables have special components that magically transform the sound. Its about balance.
Simon is an interesting reviewer and he's honest.
I know it's never possible to listen to HiFi in showroom and the sound is never the same if you listen to the same kit in your own room. The acoustics are never the same.
I take a more pragmatic approach, I think! I read the reviews on different hifi magazines, I then listen to various YouTube reviews and my final sanity checks, before making the final purchase, I listen to customers who have purchased the product for their honest opinion.
Nothing is ever bomb proof, despite all the raves, when you finally set it up, it may leave you underwhelmed.
Ah that's really part of the fun! 😊

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
On the theme of speakers with AMT tweeters, have you seen those from Unity Audio?

The Unity Rock MK II is the love child of Adam and Monitor Audio, love the granite slate looking surface.

1699008507067.png

The newer model MKIII is absolutely mesmerising ......... Look at that woofer, oh wow, what is it made from?
1699008375554.png

matthewpianist

I had a curry with someone from Focusrite a couple of weeks ago, and he was genuinely enthusiastic about Adam, not simply because they're part of the Focusrite stable but based on his own assessment of the sound.

Enjoy your new speakers.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I had a curry with someone from Focusrite a couple of weeks ago, and he was genuinely enthusiastic about Adam, not simply because they're part of the Focusrite stable but based on his own assessment of the sound.

Enjoy your new speakers.
Thanks Matthew, they should be arriving today.
I just realised I need another ethernet switch for the Adams, all the sockets bar one are used up, why is it when you purchase something, you end up purchasing other things!

Reactions: matthewpianist
I really cannot say, Adams come from the studio professional domain, but the hifi community are now starting to take notice.
A little true story:-

About 14 years ago, a pal with a high-end Linn system invited me to see his dealer's place as he'd left an item there for upgrade. He drove me there in his Porsche Boxster. As we pulled up on the drive, I realised that they operated out of a beautiful multi-bedroomed house in the Cotswolds, each room packed with luxury hifi.

That was the first time I saw and heard Adam speakers. I'd not come across even the name before, but they were very exciting, and loud. The owner obviously rated them as an alternative to other high end brands. So some folk recognised them a while back, but they obviously don't seek to be anything other than a studio marque.

The dealer recently retired and the business no longer exists. They were known as UHES, standing for something like Ultra Home Entertainment Systems.

AJM1981

I really cannot say, Adams come from the studio professional domain, but the hifi community are now starting to take notice.
Probably because it is a “new home era” of active speaker systems and Amt and Ribbons are getting their exposure in media and from consumers.

As hi-fi is more and more promoted as being “monitors” for being precise and clean; it is logical that consumers also begin to explore the real monitor market. Here they’ll find that their hi-fi counterparts are dead cheap. So a smart move for people who want no nonsense studio sound.

but the main point. I produce and I am a consumer. I like AMT tweeters for my hi-fi setup, my Evo 4.2s have them. They are directional. When sitting in the field between the speakers in position with my ears ik line they sound brilliant but when not being in the field the treble is not that present as with conventional tweeters. Same goes for ribbons.

I like that because when I am in the kitchen and not in particular listening, it gives a nice fill without being too present. But when sitting down, suddenly everything is there. Bit of a theatrical effect.

For mixing I don’t like that so much. Because for monitors as a producer, mixer, mastering engineer, one kind of prefers the average of speakers as a reference and not that much of a ‘beam effect’. But that is a personal point.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Oh I'm happy as a slapped a**e, well pleased. Thank you for allowing me to share.
The Focal SW works magically with the A7Vs.
I'm now istening to it through the digital transport, definitely cleaner sounding than the PC.
The gain is higher than the old T5Vs I had to reduce the decibels on the EverSolo.

Attachments

• IMG_20231103_175403.jpg
    IMG_20231103_175403.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231103_180529.jpg
    IMG_20231103_180529.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231103_181154.jpg
    IMG_20231103_181154.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just brought these today!!! Oh man all those positive reviews of the Adam A7V's on YouTube has got me broke!

It was my intention to purchase the A7X (pair), as it was the preceding model and many online stores were selling these off cheaply. Andersons had the last stock, I blinked and they were gone. I then tried my luck on eBay. There were quite a few being auctioned. So I played the roulette wheel on eBay, came close but got outbid by someone more nutty than me. I wasn't prepared to pay £700 or close to it for 2nd hand monitors.

I thought ah WTF, in for a penny in for a pound, after looking around for non-Adam alternatives, I was tempted by the Focal EVO 65 active speakers, as these matched my Focal Sub One, the sound would be more uniform, it made sense, was I prepared to sacrifice the expansion and clarity of the Adams? The Focal's were more HiFi than Adams A7X, more rounded, not as detailed in the top frequencies but some noted fatigue in the treble. I even had in my shopping basket the Eve SC207 but in the end, I opted for the Adam A7V.

I got the Adam T7Vs (pair) from Scan at a good price, everyone else was selling close to its original retail price £600 per speaker and Scan has PayPal, this allows you to pay by 4 instalments.

The A7V's are superior by far but they don't have volume or power button at the front, it's a shame but I was swayed by the digital DSP and if you have ethernet connection, you can download the Sonarworks software from Adams site, so you can acoustically tune these to your room settings which is really neat. The woofer is made from crushed granite, glass and fibre and it is claimed to offer excellent damping and rigidity, I was intrigued, oh I'm such a S*ut!

View attachment 5435
View attachment 5436
Bax Music should be avoided - fine if your purchase goes ok, but a nightmare if not. Check out Bax Music Rip Off on facebook - they really are horrendous when things go wrong. Good to hear that you’re enjoying the Adams - I’ve used actives for several years and love the sound (currently own Elac Navis).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts