Hifi or hearing

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
My current hifi consists of a pair of white Audio Pro A38 and an old Galaxy A7 mobile phone, which uses Google Home to talk to the A38s, with a 200Gb micro SD card.

The SD holds 8500 tracks, ripped from my own CDs (I still have the CDs) and a few LPs, played through PowerAmp. Streaming is from Qobuz., BBC Sounds, Swiss Jazz or other streaming I fancy.

Visually the current setup looks better and my wife is happy that there are no longer, mainly large and black, boxes and cables all over the place.

This has replaced 30 year old Mission 753 speakers driven, at least for the last few years,by an Onkyo TX-8270 receiver. For the last year or so that I used that setup the A7 phone was my main source. My Rega Planar 3 has long been relegated to the loft and only fired when I need an LP rip, similarly my Yamaha KX8800 cassette player. A DVD player, again now in the loft, was connected to the Onkyo as was a DAB aerial. Various other amps/cd players/tuners have been connected to the Missions over the years.

For headphones I have Sennheiser TR180 setup, again driven by the phone.

One day on a GP visit, for a non audio matter, my doctor referred me for an NHS audio test. This revealed what I already guessed. My hearing was not good with only the mid frequencies working. So I was entitled to free NHS aids. What a revelation, my hearing became alive and especially music. I went to a live concert soon after acquiring the aids and for the first time for many years heard the double bases; mind you I also heard the constant feet shuffling of some other listeners in the quiet passages.

I also heard that one of the Mission speakers had a fault, a rattle in the mid/lower base region; Mission would not repair - too old I ask you.

So replacement. First what budget. My wife has hearing aids and spent a lot on her private ones; I liked the extra facilities on hers, compared to my NHS aids.

In the end I paid over twice the price for her model of aids, compared to the cost of the A38s. The audio difference between the NHS aids and the private ones is inaudible to me; after all no hearing will fully make for natural hearing so maybe y poor real hearing means I can't hear the subtle differences.

So I spent most of my budget on the aids instead of the hifi. But I am glad I did. Note that the cost of live music has now gone up as I am going to more concerts, and London venues are not cheap.

So I would,d say if you are middle aged or older e.g. like me older than the official term for old these days, get your hearing tested before considering different hifi.

PS following my experience several of my friends have had their hearing tested and are now sporting hearing aids.

Gray

Glad you're now hearing some of what you've been missing 👍

You could investigate the rattling Mission cabinet yourself - might just be something obvious.....more likely not, but nothing to lose by checking.
(Plenty of drivers to swap around as part of the investigation.....hours of fun 😉).

matthewpianist

Thanks, this is an interesting post, and certainly something we should all be aware of. Even if hearing is still good, we should all be using some sort of hearing protection at the loudest gigs. There's in-ear protection available which cuts sound by 10 decibels without impinging on enjoyment.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
My current hifi consists of a pair of white Audio Pro A38 and an old Galaxy A7 mobile phone, which uses Google Home to talk to the A38s, with a 200Gb micro SD card.

The SD holds 8500 tracks, ripped from my own CDs (I still have the CDs) and a few LPs, played through PowerAmp. Streaming is from Qobuz., BBC Sounds, Swiss Jazz or other streaming I fancy.

Visually the current setup looks better and my wife is happy that there are no longer, mainly large and black, boxes and cables all over the place.

This has replaced 30 year old Mission 753 speakers driven, at least for the last few years,by an Onkyo TX-8270 receiver. For the last year or so that I used that setup the A7 phone was my main source. My Rega Planar 3 has long been relegated to the loft and only fired when I need an LP rip, similarly my Yamaha KX8800 cassette player. A DVD player, again now in the loft, was connected to the Onkyo as was a DAB aerial. Various other amps/cd players/tuners have been connected to the Missions over the years.

One day on a GP visit, for a non audio matter, my doctor referred me for an NHS audio test. This revealed what I already guessed. My hearing was not good with only the mid frequencies working. So I was entitled to free NHS aids. What a revelation, my hearing became alive and especially music. I went to a live concert soon after acquiring the aids and for the first time for many years heard the double bases; mind you I also heard the constant feet shuffling of some other listeners in the quiet passages.

I also heard that one of the Mission speakers had a fault, a rattle in the mid/lower base region; Mission would not repair - too old I ask you.

So replacement. First what budget. My wife has hearing aids and spent a lot on her private ones; I liked the extra facilities on hers, compared to my NHS aids.

In the end I paid over twice the price for her model of aids, compared to the cost of the A38s. The audio difference between the NHS aids and the private ones is inaudible to me; after all no hearing will fully make for natural hearing so maybe y poor real hearing means I can't hear the subtle differences.

So I spent most of my budget on the aids instead of the hifi. But I am glad I did. Note that the cost of live music has now gone up as I am going to more concerts, and London venues are not cheap.

So I would,d say if you are middle aged or older e.g. like me older than the official term for old these days, get your hearing tested before considering different hifi.

PS following my experience several of my friends have had their hearing tested and are now sporting hearing aids.
My wife has been wearing hearing aids (NHS) for 6 years. When she first had them fitted it was a revelation to her, driving home one section of road has large ancient trees over hanging the road and it had been raining, as water droplets fell from the leaves onto the roof of the car, a sound I take for granted and largely ignore, she said it was like bombs going off.

The trouble my wife has with her hearing is the main reason I don't listen to music as loud as I would like, (a subject in another thread) although she is hard of hearing certain frequencies hurt her ears. last year Rachel got an upgraded pair of NHS hearing aids as her hearing in the left ear plummeted virtually overnight. Unfortunately as well as her hearing loss there is something else going on, she has been suffering since last September with really bad vertigo, & menniers disease, she doesn't leave the house except for hospital appointments. She often wakes me in the middle of the night suffering an attack. She had a steroid injection in her left eardrum 2 months ago unfortunately that hasn't worked the consultant says they can do the procedure 2 more times in a year.

Rachel is often in tears because even with hearing aids she misses so much.
Things we take for granted until there is a problem with our bodies.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
My wife has been wearing hearing aids (NHS) for 6 years. When she first had them fitted it was a revelation to her, driving home one section of road has large ancient trees over hanging the road and it had been raining, as water droplets fell from the leaves onto the roof of the car, a sound I take for granted and largely ignore, she said it was like bombs going off.

The trouble my wife has with her hearing is the main reason I don't listen to music as loud as I would like, (a subject in another thread) although she is hard of hearing certain frequencies hurt her ears. last year Rachel got an upgraded pair of NHS hearing aids as her hearing in the left ear plummeted virtually overnight. Unfortunately as well as her hearing loss there is something else going on, she has been suffering since last September with really bad vertigo, & menniers disease, she doesn't leave the house except for hospital appointments. She often wakes me in the middle of the night suffering an attack. She had a steroid injection in her left eardrum 2 months ago unfortunately that hasn't worked the consultant says they can do the procedure 2 more times in a year.

Cricketbat70

I am sorry that your wife has such continuing problems.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your wife having hearing problems Cricketbat70 - I totally sympathise because I got hearing damage from a landmine in 1982 in the West Bank.
I never got it treated - stubbornness and vanity - now I just can`t be bothered _I`m dropping to bits - I can only see out of my right eye and I can only hear the phone with my left ear - basket case but heh ho - life goes on.
So headphones are useless and I need to use the balance knob.
Good mono even sounds okay to me so no need for multi-channel setups - got them for my girlfriend and kids.Gone now so...
I should flog the cinema amp, Pro amps and the American coffin sized horn sub...no need.

I don`t know how I was a Hi-Fi salesman thirty years ago - luck - powers of persuasion - memory of how a good stereo used to sound before I got exploded - haha!

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Really sorry to read of Rachel's problems - massive sympathy to her.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

I suppose differences in hearing is an equal problem as people have with sight. My hearing has changed since contracting shingles ten years ago. I went to a local school gig where a Blue Brothers tribute was staged. The noise was so intense I felt pain in one ear. I now have tinnitus and have been teetering on having an audio test.

I suppose differences in hearing is an equal problem as people have with sight. My hearing has changed since contracting shingles ten years ago. I went to a local school gig where a Blue Brothers tribute was staged. The noise was so intense I felt pain in one ear. I now have tinnitus and have been teetering on having an audio test.
Tinnitus seems to arise if your brain is having to use its tone controls. Well, that is the way I think of it, now my HF doesn’t reach beyond 10kHz. No harm getting tested, and they’ll check if you need any wax removed which can be another cause.

Gray

I`m dropping to bits - I can only see out of my right eye and I can only hear the phone with my left ear
Look on the bright side - at least you're not an animal - otherwise you'd be put down.

Seriously, sorry to hear your story - especially the landmine incident - through no fault of your own (unlike the self- inflicted hearing loss suffered by others).

Reactions: roaduck

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
As a hearing aid user the best advice I can give is that a pair of NHS hearing aids set up by an NHS audiologist will trounce any private ones. NHS aids might not have the fads and gadgets of private ones but NHS audiologists spend years being trained, That high street optician beginning with S (you know - the one you should've gone to) will snatch several thousand from you and put you in the hands of a young person who went on a week long course. I know who I'd trust with my hearing.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
As a hearing aid user the best advice I can give is that a pair of NHS hearing aids set up by an NHS audiologist will trounce any private ones. NHS aids might not have the fads and gadgets of private ones but NHS audiologists spend years being trained, That high street optician beginning with S (you know - the one you should've gone to) will snatch several thousand from you and put you in the hands of a young person who went on a week long course. I know who I'd trust with my hearing.
When we suspected Rachel needed hearing aids we went to that certain place as we go there for our specs. They did a hearing test on Rach, said she needed hearing aids but it was out of their league. Admitting they're not that qualified. Without actually saying it.

When we suspected Rachel needed hearing aids we went to that certain place as we go there for our specs. They did a hearing test on Rach, said she needed hearing aids but it was out of their league. Admitting they're not that qualified. Without actually saying it.
Crumbs, at least it’s honest. I went a year or so back for a hearing test. The chap said best get ears syringed first, and recommended a private place above his colleagues at another branch. In the end the recommendation was good and they did vacuum removal and a full test.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Look on the bright side - at least you're not an animal - otherwise you'd be put down.

Seriously, sorry to hear your story - especially the landmine incident - through no fault of your own (unlike the self- inflicted hearing loss suffered by others).
Thanks Gray I was working as a volunteer for Medicines Sans Frontiers in Ramallah,
I dug wells and dug up landlines - I was reckless then.
My buddy, Mehmet stepped on a mine and it killed him instantly.
I was lucky - I got blown in the air, got 4 broken ribs, fractured collarbone and some internal bleeding.
I was seventeen and was stood next to him at the time.
I still feel guilty surviving.

I`ve got AVN which is bone gangrene of the whole skeleton hence had to stop driving and retire early - you`re right they treat dogs more humanely...sad Gray

But we all have our crosses to bare and there is always somebody worse off than yourself.
My Grandad was Ukrainian and now I just despair at the mad World.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I was referred to NHS and got their hearing aids. I wanted some other gadgets that NHS does not supply e.g. Phone answer and Bluetooth streaming.

Went to Boots who did their hearing test and saw that it looked identical to the NHS test. Did spend the 1000s. Cannot tell the difference between the two; just appreciate the added functions, even if I don't like the Phonak app much.

Gray

Thanks Gray I was working as a volunteer for Medicines Sans Frontiers in Ramallah,
I dug wells and dug up landlines - I was reckless then.
My buddy, Mehmet stepped on a mine and it killed him instantly.
I was lucky - I got blown in the air, got 4 broken ribs, fractured collarbone and some internal bleeding.
I was seventeen and was stood next to him at the time.
I still feel guilty surviving.

I`ve got AVN which is bone gangrene of the whole skeleton hence had to stop driving and retire early - you`re right they treat dogs more humanely...sad Gray

But we all have our crosses to bare and there is always somebody worse off than yourself.
My Grandad was Ukrainian and now I just despair at the mad World.
Bloody hell, what an experience! - glad you're around to tell the story.
Remove all feelings of guilt from your mind 👍

Reactions: WayneKerr

gasolin

Nice to know you still can enjoy music with a hearing aid

You don't make mp3 files sound like losless flac with a hearing aid, you need to play losless and need to have a good system to enjoy music as much as possible

Even if it's flac (like radio paradise) it's no fun if the sytem sound like c...., then a good system playing high res mp3 would sound better (alot on youtube can sound impresseive even with a limit of 192kbs)

Reactions: Gray

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hearing loss with age is perfectly normal:

"Whereas a person in their twenties will be able to hear up to 17,000Hz or more, by their thirties this will have declined to about 16,000Hz. By the time an individual is in their 50s, their hearing range will usually have declined to around 12,000Hz."

This is often seen with the "cocktail party effect" when you can't hear conversations very well in a busy room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts