Hard of hearing issue

Alangr

Jul 10, 2023
Visit site
When I plug a 1/4inch jack into the headphones socket of my amplifier, the room sound is silenced as the output signal goes to the headphones. All very sensible.

However, I have a hearing problem that means I need special hearing aids. These have a Bluetooth connection to a device I plug into my PC sound output socket so that I can hear very well. However, when I use my device with my amplifier it works well but, of course, blanks the room sound.

I wonder how to take the output signal from the amplifier to my device (a Phonak TV connect) without dropping the room sound. Is this possible? if so can it be done simply or not?

Any comments would be welcome.

Alangr

Jul 10, 2023
Visit site
I have a Marantz SR4300 amp and yes it does appear to have some audio out connectors. From the User Guide...

"...4 audio outputs (2 of which are linked to video outputs). The audio jacks are nominally labelled for cassette tape decks, compact disc players, DVD players, and etc.... The audio....outputs require RCA-type connectors."

So all looks good, I hope,. But would just connecting my device to the relevant outputibe likely to cause any issues of compatibility. I guess not but thought I would ask before trying!

Your comments/help is much appreciated, thanks.

Vincent Kars

In general RCA has no compatibility issues.
REC out in general is not affected by volume control, tone control, etc. It requires your Phonac to have volume control (but is probably have).
Monitor out, pre-amp out in general honor settings like volume, tone control, etc.

Looks like the SR4300 and the Phonak also support Toslink (optical). A dirt cheap and very reliable connection.

Alangr

Jul 10, 2023
Visit site
In general RCA has no compatibility issues.
REC out in general is not affected by volume control, tone control, etc. It requires your Phonac to have volume control (but is probably have).
Monitor out, pre-amp out in general honor settings like volume, tone control, etc.

Looks like the SR4300 and the Phonak also support Toslink (optical). A dirt cheap and very reliable connection.
As you will probably be aware the 4300 is a good few years old and I have not rally done other than 'set it up and use it for some time'. So I am now needing to explore somewhat.

As you suggest it seems as though the optical output from the 4300 shooud feed the Phonak device and we should get what I want. I guess it is unlikely that this would mute the room sound.

Thank you for your patience and insight!

Regards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts