Cables will make a difference

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Reijer said:
Vladimir said:
BTW what sound did you use for the test?

Chris Jones with No Sanctuary Here (first minute) and Wouter Hamel with Skimming The Skies (complete song) or is that not what you mean?

Can you also try with just 1kHz signal? Also record the same cable twice so we eliminate the speakers as source of variations. Transducers never perform exactly the same twice.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Reijer said:

Reijer,

This is good stuff.

If you search the web, you should be able to find a WAV file for a frequency sweep. This will allow you to 'exercise' the system in a consistent manner. As Vlad points out, real world measurements are always a challenge as transducers are never 100% repeatable, and a good approach is to average a number of sweeps. Most spectrum analyser software will allow this - I usually aim to average at least 10 sweeps.

Another feature most analysers will have is a 'difference' function - so do 10 sweeps with cable A, average and store it, do 10 sweeps with cable B, average them then do a 'difference' with the stored average for A. The resuting display will be the display of the changes (if any).

Unless you are doing this in a controlled space, be aware that where you stand, moving stuff on the bench, equipment placement may all impact the results. You could consider ditching the mic and just measure the voltage at the speaker terminals, while this isn't quite 'end to end', even the most ardent cable believer will find it hard to argue that if two cables have the same voltage profile, that the sound will be different.

Depending on the cables, you should expect some difference. Cables that have different resistance will measure differently, so if one cable is thick and one thin, then don't be surprised to find a difference.

Finally, have a look at 'audiodiffmaker', it is a free to download software package that allows you to compare two audio components (leads, amps etc). It is probably easier to use than fiddling around with spectrum analysers and sweeps. It uses a real world audio track, and compares before and after a change is made. It won't tell what is different, but it will indicate if a difference exists.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
All the money I have spend on cables and supports etc. over the years could probably get me a decent system in Richer Sounds! Cables are a good buy ONLY when you already have a "good" system. If you don't have a good system then you really wouldn't hear the difference ......

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
mond said:
All the money I have spend on cables and supports etc. over the years could probably get me a decent system in Richer Sounds! Cables are a good buy ONLY when you already have a "good" system. If you don't have a good system then you really wouldn't hear the difference ......

But what is a good system? It's all too relative. Only absolute way to define sound quality is to have the wife hear it accidentally as she enters the listening session to bring you snacks.

TrevC

Vladimir said:
mond said:

But what is a good system? It's all too relative. Only absolute way to define sound quality is to have the wife hear it accidentally as she enters the listening session to bring you snacks.

Also it's no good actually listening. To experience the 'night and day' differences between interconnects and power cables you have to believe!

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Snacks or drinks, ever notice how the system always improves after a couple of glasses of whatever is your favourite tipple, maybe we should start reviewing wines as they can also improve SQ
regular_smile.gif

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I notice how my appetite for this forum diminishes by the day, especially after reading these type of threads.

You could be watching Celebrity Big Brother *dash1*

THE HORROR

THE HORROR

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
3 most important things in Hi-Fi.

1) Never join or read hi-fi forums.
2) Have a good relationship with your B&M Hi-Fi dealer.
3) Never run out of money.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iMark said:
4. Never listen to anything that is said about highres music by half deaf rock musicians like Neil Young.

As long as you don't join a hi-fi forum to read iMark throwing poo at Neil Young, you are fine. Rule #1 is epic stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts