Cables will make a difference

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

Trev C.. I have'nt read te whole post.. If your close or near Wales. you're more than welcome mate to come.. we will try AB/x speaker cable (But with my choice of cables) hows that? You wont be able to see me here IF i fail.

TrevC

iceman16 said:
Trev C.. I have'nt read te whole post.. If your close or near Wales. you're more than welcome mate to come.. we will try AB/x speaker cable (But with my choice of cables) hows that? You wont be able to see me here IF i fail.

If you look back I have already said that speaker cables will sound different because of their series resistance / impedance.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago, I thought I would give the clearer audio copper line alpha one mains cable a try.I first swapped out my dac standard cable.placebo or not bass seemed tighter and cleaner. Then swapped it for amp mains cable there seemed to be a boost in instrument seperation but the tight cleaner bass had gone. Now £60 lighter £30 a piece.Placebo or not I don't regret spending it. I did get a
Supra. 2.0 usb cable about 9 months back,total waste of £30. Not a jot of difference.still 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Cockroach said:
People are not coming on here always to debate do's and donts - they want ideas of new things to try, but there never is any as people dont get a chance or dont bother.

I come on here for good advice. I used to buy hifi magazines and believed the rubbish they wrote until I wasted £50 on an HDMI cable that was no better than the free ones I already had.I then start reading about the subject and found that the evidence backed up my own findings and tellng people an HDMI cable could produce deeper blacks was simply stupid. I am glad that people are told the truth by knowledgeable people ( people who know about science, a subject you seem not to be keen on) and hopefully at least some inexperienced readers won't waste their money on con artists and their shiny rubbish.

TrevC

damonster said:
A couple of weeks ago, I thought I would give the clearer audio copper line alpha one mains cable a try.I first swapped out my dac standard cable.placebo or not bass seemed tighter and cleaner. Then swapped it for amp mains cable there seemed to be a boost in instrument seperation but the tight cleaner bass had gone. Now £60 lighter £30 a piece.Placebo or not I don't regret spending it. I did get a Supra. 2.0 usb cable about 9 months back,total waste of £30. Not a jot of difference.still 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

It isn't possible for a mains lead to influence sound quality.

TrevC

hammill said:
ellisdj said:
Cockroach said:
People are not coming on here always to debate do's and donts - they want ideas of new things to try, but there never is any as people dont get a chance or dont bother.

I come on here for good advice. I used to buy hifi magazines and believed the rubbish they wrote until I wasted £50 on an HDMI cable that was no better than the free ones I already had.I then start reading about the subject and found that the evidence backed up my own findings and tellng people an HDMI cable could produce deeper blacks was simply stupid. I am glad that people are told the truth by knowledgeable people ( people who know about science, a subject you seem not to be keen on) and hopefully at least some inexperienced readers won't waste their money on con artists and their shiny rubbish.

Unfortunately the reviews section on here is full of nonsense like mains lead reviews that makes one doubt the validity of the other reviews. One day......

iMark

hammill said:

So do I. And in the analogue video age upgrading a standard scart lead to a very good one made quite a noticable difference, at least with my first DVD player and Sony 100 Hz CRT, which I bought in 2000. Many of us are conditioned to the idea that cables should make a difference, because it always did with our analogue stuff. It is quite obvious now that under normal circomstances buying more expensive cables for digital transfers (HDMI, USB, optical, coaxial) is ludicrous and that some cable producers are peddling rubbish and should be boycotted off the market.

Then there is the myth about power leads. It is mindboggling that people believe that a metre of cable can make a difference for electricity that has travelled for possibly hundreds of kilometres and has been subjected to all sort of influences and transformers. At best these leads make no difference, at worst they provide a fire hazard because the cables were not tested by the manufacturer of your kit.

I'm not so sure about the non-effectiveness of mains cleaners, but I'm pretty sure that 'dirty mains' is also a bit of myth or at worst has very limited influences on the sound quality.

One thing with the electrics here in NL made a bit of difference. Since we use German Schuko power sockets, it is impossible to determine the polartity of a plug. A couple of years ago I bought a polarity detector in Germany and after unplugging everything and testing every device connected to the amp for the right polarity even my other half asked what had happened to the sound system because it seemed a touch more detailed.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
Then there is the myth about power leads...At best these leads make no difference...I'm not so sure about the non-effectiveness of mains cleaners, but I'm pretty sure that 'dirty mains' is also a bit of myth or at worst has very limited influences on the sound quality.

Have you tried out different leads, power purifiers, a dedicated power line? No difference?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
antskip said:
iMark said:
Then there is the myth about power leads...At best these leads make no difference...I'm not so sure about the non-effectiveness of mains cleaners, but I'm pretty sure that 'dirty mains' is also a bit of myth or at worst has very limited influences on the sound quality.

Have you tried out different leads, power purifiers, a dedicated power line? No difference?

Have you tried placing your speakers on bowls of custard? If not, and there is just about as much scientific basis for expecting it to have an effect as changing mains leads, then why haven't you tried it?

Chris

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Have you tried placing your speakers on bowls of custard? If not, and there is just about as much scientific basis for expecting it to have an effect as changing mains leads, then why haven't you tried it?

Chris

Chris .... there are people who believe that mains/electrics play a big part in sound quality ...

they spend big money on audio equipment .... they have the money to buy the best

watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Have you tried placing your speakers on bowls of custard? If not, and there is just about as much scientific basis for expecting it to have an effect as changing mains leads...
Good to know you have first hand experience of what you are talking about (smile).

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

Chris .... there are people who believe that mains/electrics play a big part in sound quality ...

they spend big money on audio equipment .... they have the money to buy the best

watch this video:

Having a lot of money is no guarantee of good sense. Or perhaps you are suggesting that wealthy people have better hearing?

Chris

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

Having a lot of money is no guarantee of good sense. Or perhaps you are suggesting that wealthy people have better hearing?

Chris

so tell me ... can you hear a difference between spotify premium and spotify free?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
antskip said:
Covenanter said:
Have you tried placing your speakers on bowls of custard? If not, and there is just about as much scientific basis for expecting it to have an effect as changing mains leads...
Good to know you have first hand experience of what you are talking about (smile).

You miss the point! You don't need to try everything to see if it works. There is no reason to believe that mains products work so why should anybody try them? Indeed there is much more reason to believe that they don't work. So I won't be trying bowls of custard, well not for hifi anyway, and nor will I be trying most mains products.

Of course if you have a mains supply that carries some interference that might affect your hifi then it is worth filtering that out. Nobody would deny that. Pretty much anything else in the mains department is pure woofle dust.

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

The good old bubbles, do they still exist? Still have money?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

Chris

so tell me ... can you hear a difference between spotify premium and spotify free?

Yes one has adverts, lol.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

depends where you sit on the food chain

if your are on benefits and eat beans on toast and smash with worcestireshire sauce every night expensive cables etc won't workor be in your budget ...and the obvious comments are that you don't need them as they are foo ...

but if you are buy a system of £200K, would you buy £10 cables and interconnects?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
BigH said:
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

if your are on benefits and eat beans on toast and smash with worcestireshire sauce every night expensive cables etc won't workor be in your budget ...and the obvious comments are that you don't need them as they are foo ...

but if you are buy a system of £200K, would you buy £10 cables and interconnects?

You don't understand.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
dim_span said:
BigH said:
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
antskip said:
iMark said:

Chris

watch this video:

but if you were to buy a system of £200K, would you buy £10 cables and interconnects?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts