The active speakers club

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This made me chuckle; I have absolutely nothing against the brand, quite the opposite but someone over there (HDI forum, I still like to visit from time to time) just bought the small fridge sized behemot of an AVI subwoofer to pair with the pint sized DM5's :)

I would have thought you'd buy speakers that small for a reason ...

regards

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
This made me chuckle; I have absolutely nothing against the brand, quite the opposite but someone over there (HDI forum, I still like to visit from time to time) just bought the small fridge sized behemot of an AVI subwoofer to pair with the pint sized DM5's :)

regards

Not the smallest I grant you but smaller than a BK XXLS 400 and only a little bit bigger than the 200......*unknw*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:

regards

Morning honeybun. :)

Yes visually they do look a bit out of proportion but only slightly IMO. The ADM sub isn't that much bigger than the Neutron sub.

Acoustically they integrate and work well together (the beauty of a subwoofer is that it's infinitely adjustable) with the DM5's running full range and the sub set to 80Hz with the volume set so that it's only just audiable. Just enough so that it adds more 'weight' to the sound rather than more noise.

If I close my eyes it feels like listening to a set of huge floorstanding speakers but with better mid/treble clarity and a better stereo image than any floorstander that I've ever heard. I'm very pleased with the results.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have experience of both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR configurations in similar set ups? I've little experienced of balanced gear and heard many conflicting reports, some claim XLR is far superior, others claim it is identical partially over shorter lengths and is only used in professional set-ups because it works better over lengths particularly keeping out unwanted noise. Given I'm using 2.4 meter lengths of RCA cables is looking to go balanced worth it given I'd need to change my pre-amp?

I'm not really considering this now for the KRKs as I doubt they'd show much improvement but intend to go for some higher end actives down the line. Currently using a Croft 25 which I'm very happy with but looking at similar priced valve pres that are balanced leads me to the pro-ject, wondering if the fact it is balanced would yield worthy improvements? Also considering some higher end balanced DAC /pres such as the Benchmark 2 either with or without separate balanced pre.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Does anyone have experience of both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR configurations in similar set ups? I've little experienced of balanced gear and heard many conflicting reports, some claim XLR is far superior, others claim it is identical partially over shorter lengths and is only used in professional set-ups because it works better over lengths particularly keeping out unwanted noise. Given I'm using 2.4 meter lengths of RCA cables is looking to go balanced worth it given I'd need to change my pre-amp?

I'm not really considering this now for the KRKs as I doubt they'd show much improvement but intend to go for some higher end actives down the line. Currently using a Croft 25 which I'm very happy with but looking at similar priced valve pres that are balanced leads me to the pro-ject, wondering if the fact it is balanced would yield worthy improvements? Also considering some higher end balanced DAC /pres such as the Benchmark 2 either with or without separate balanced pre.

XLR connectors are safer, better shielded and more robust than phonos, none of which really matters at line level in a hi-fi system. Running balanced cables is no big thing either.

The only time I would use balanced cables in a hi-fi system would be in a fully balanced system, by that I mean fully balanced components not just balanced connections. Such systems tend to be fearsomely expensive, though there are some dac/pre-amps that implement balanced topology correctly at prices that are more approachable, again Benchmark is a good examble.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bluedroog said:

When I had a Benchmark dac and Event Opals my 1st cables were some cheap rca to trs cables (the Opals don't have an rca input, the 1/4 inch trs looks just like a massive rca), they were 15m long and cost about £7 from a dj supplies shop - I bought these because they were all I could get locally. Next was some xlr cables, 5 metres long and probably less than a tenner from Amazon. The xlr's had really flimsy connectors and one of them started cutting out, so I ordered some with custom lengths, in an unobtrusive colour and with decent connectors, from Mark Grant, think they cost about £60. Absolutely no difference in sound between any of them - it suprised even me (a cable sceptic) because the 15m rca to trs cable was the cruddiest looking thing I've ever seen and there was about 13 metres each side, coiled up all over the power cables at the back of the tv rack. A pair of Opals could well lead you to look at similarly priced hifi amps and speakers... and start laughing. :)

Amyc97

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide which pair of speakers to go with since my head is spinning from all the research! The choice is bewteen:

Audioengine 5+

Yamaha HS5

Ruark Audio MR1 Bluetooth Active

I'm going to put it in my smallish room with my turntable and musical fidelity v90 lps phono preamp. My turntable is quite cheap but I want to build up a good foundation before I buy an expensive turntable. Any advice would be highly appreciated, thanks.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
The Yamahas would be by far the best choice.

True, but functionally more complex.

Both the other models can take a fixed line level and allow easy volume adjustment and remote control. The HS5s have rear mounted level matching controls only, not ideal.

An extra component offering a minimum of easy volume control would be needed.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Fostex are bringing out the PX-5HS

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/fostex-introduces-px-5hs-active-speaker-system/

Looks like they've just put a bit of wood veneer around the sides of their PX-5 active monitors, http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PX-5.shtml#content-3-tab-tab which I've seen in stores but haven't had a listen to. I'm all for anything can can make a studio monitor a bit more living room friendly. Some grills would be nice too.

Interesting though they quote $999 pair.

A bit different from the £300 that it costs to pick up the standard 'pro' versions, still it's 'hi-fi', I suppose.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
'm sure the quoted price for the pro PX-5 was probably closer to 400 pounds and that these won't retail for $999. I haven't seen the specs or anything, but I'm just going to assume you pay extra just for making it look prettier. Still, seems like ampretty hefty premium.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
'm sure the quoted price for the pro PX-5 was probably closer to 400 pounds and that these won't retail for $999. I haven't seen the specs or anything, but I'm just going to assume you pay extra just for making it look prettier. Still, seems like ampretty hefty premium.

That's what I thought.

Just a bit of a sideswipe at the difference in material value for money between the 'pro' audio and hi-fi marketplace.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Why is it a Club and how much does it cost to join?

It is a club because you need one to beat off regular enthusiasts when you tell them how much better your active set up is compared to their expensive multi box extravaganza.

The cost to join is the price of buying your prefered Active loudspeaker. Starts at a shade over £100.

Oh, nearly forgot, you will also be expected to give a concise explanation of the difference between 'active' and 'powered' speakers.....

Then you are in, you get a badge and everything.....*dirol*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Happy_Listner said:

The cost to join is the price of buying your prefered Active loudspeaker. Starts at a shade over £100.

From the reaction talk of actives receives from some parts of the forum I always believed that the price of joining was one's soul.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
davedotco said:
Happy_Listner said:

From the reaction talk of actives receives from some parts of the forum I always believed that the price of joining was one's soul.

Only if you buy from the Prince of Darkness. Currently located somewhere in Gloucestershire.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Yay. More living room friendly actives.

+1 This is good to see.

Dynaudio make some very nice sounding actives IME. Their actives have a similar 'house sound' to their passive speakers but tend to be a little bit clearer and go a bit louder before distorting.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ID. said:
Yay. More living room friendly actives.

+1 This is good to see.

Dynaudio make some very nice sounding actives IME. Their actives have a similar 'house sound' to their passive speakers but tend to be a little bit clearer and go a bit louder before distorting.

Nice feature set, onboard dacs, eq etc.

Not cheap though, expect them to be the best part of £2k for even the smallest model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts