The active speakers club

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
How cool is this one? Not that much info on the Devialet website yet, but I'm sure I'll have a demo as soon as my dealer has one in!

imagejpeg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
How cool is this one? Not that much info on the Devialet website yet, but I'm sure I'll have a demo as soon as my dealer has one in!

The photo doesn't show... I'm REALLY getting fed up by this site again...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:

20141210_demo1_1000w.jpg

Soundstage Global has a great article on the new Devialet Phantom.

4 drivers and 8 mono amps (bridged to be 4 amps).

Able to hit 20hz!

Supposed to be a real breakthrough product in term of technology.

Price is 1700 Euros/ 2000 USD for 750 watt version and

2000 Euros / 2300 USD for the 3000 watt version.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
They look fascinating and have some impressive sounding tech to back up those futuristic looks.

Indeed. Glad to see real innovation. According to the Telegraph they get down to 16 Hz which is insane.

Expensive for a lifestyle single speaker mind! :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
steve_1979 said:
They look fascinating and have some impressive sounding tech to back up those futuristic looks.

Indeed. Glad to see real innovation. According to the Telegraph they get down to 16 Hz which is insane.

Expensive for a lifestyle single speaker mind! :)

Just buy a 2nd one and stereo link them ;)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
DocG said:

Soundstage Global has a great article on the new Devialet Phantom.

4 drivers and 8 mono amps (bridged to be 4 amps).

Able to hit 20hz!

Supposed to be a real breakthrough product in term of technology.

Price is 1700 Euros/ 2000 USD for 750 watt version and

2000 Euros / 2300 USD for the 3000 watt version.

Had to quote myself because I'm just awesome like that...

Ummm... I mean to update the technical specs on the phantom:
16Hz to 25kHz bandwidth, ± 2dB 20Hz to 20kHz bandwidth, ± 0.5dB 105dB maximum SPL (Silver Phantom - 99 for regular Phantom). Those specs are insane, considering the enclosure is only 6 litres...

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thats actually quite impressive specification but as always, it depends what it sounds like. But surely it cant be long before they make a pair of stereo speakers.

Just read that they can be stereo linked, this is extremely interesting.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
20Hz to 20kHz bandwidth, ± 0.5dB

105dB maximum SPL.

Those specs are insane, considering the enclosure is only 6 litres...

I've read the white paper on the Phantom and it seems to have had some very impressive work put into its development. Devialet really seem to be trying something new here to push the envelope for what's possible with speaker technology and I won't be at all suprised if this turns out to be something very very special indeed (and I really want one.. erm I mean two :) ).

However, going virtually flat down to 20Hz with 105dB of volume from a small 6 litre enclosure with what looks like a pair of 6.5" woofers! Really? This bit has got my bells ringing somewhat.

Yes it's a sealed enclosure. Yes it has very special drivers. And yes it has 3000 watts. But there's nothing in the white paper that shows how they've managed to get it to go that deep and at that volume level.

I don't doubt that it will go very deep and loud for such a small enclosure but I'm very sceptical of this particular claim. I hope I'm proved wrong and I'll happily eat my words if I am. But I just can't see it somehow.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

105dB maximum SPL.

I've read the white paper on the Phantom and it seems to have had some very impressive work put into its development. Devialet really seem to be trying something new here to push the envelope for what's possible with speaker technology and I won't be at all suprised if this turns out to be something very very special indeed (and I really want one.. erm I mean two :) ).

However, going virtually flat down to 20Hz with 105dB of volume from a small 6 litre enclosure with what looks like a pair of 6.5" woofers! Really? This bit has got my bells ringing somewhat.

Yes it's a sealed enclosure. Yes it has very special drivers. And yes it has 3000 watts. But there's nothing in the white paper that shows how they've managed to get it to go that deep and at that volume level.

I don't doubt that it will go very deep and loud for such a small enclosure but I'm very sceptical of this particular claim. I hope I'm proved wrong and I'll happily eat my words if I am. But I just can't see it somehow.

Yep, the claims seems outrageous, but that's what makes the product so exciting... If they really have managed to do what they claim then this is truly a revolutionary HiFi product.

I find myself getting so bored of seeing mild evolutions of the same old stuff in HiFi, that the thought of a manufacturer committing the time and resources to do something truly different is really exciting.

Even more interesting than the specs is the price... Way below what I'd expect for such an ambitous product... If it is anywhere near as good as they claim, I could see the Phantom in my living room...

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Have they released any images of the stands yet? I'm really intersted to see how this would work in traditional 2.0 placed in front of the listener arrangement. With the tweeter seemingly angled to fire upwards it would suggest that they've been designed with a low positioning in mind e.g. sitting on a sideboard, work top or desk.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

105dB maximum SPL.

I'm very much inclined to believe the claims, when I hear what my SAMmed LS50s are capable of, driven by a mere 75 W into 8 Ohm. So when Devialet can start from a blank sheet, use all their new developments and customize everything to optimally work together, I can only imagine how great that could sound. (But I need to hear it with my own ears, that goes without saying).

No doubt the lion share of the 3000W will go into bass extension. My major concern is positioning, the general rule being: the deeper the bass, the more room interaction. So I wonder if they foresee a room correction filter of some sort.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried to post a thread on the Phantom, this morning, but they seem to disappeared in the ether, so I thought I would try to hang it on the end of this Deviaet thread and lo and behold ... you guys already did it.

Shame that WHF seems to be behing the curve on reporting these things ... even the Daily Telegraph beat them to it :eek:!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
For those interested in small actives with built in remote control reamp and dac - AVI have opened preorders for their new DM10. Limited run of 250 pairs shipping abt April.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
I tried to post a thread on the Phantom, this morning, but they seem to disappeared in the ether, so I thought I would try to hang it on the end of this Deviaet thread and lo and behold ... you guys already did it.

Shame that WHF seems to be behing the curve on reporting these things ... even the Daily Telegraph beat them to it :eek:!

They do look very impressive if the quoted specs are correct, meaning they are only down 2db at 16hz *shok*

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/22/devialet-phantom/

They obviously have very very long throw bass drivers and eq allowing them to hit 16hz.
Now, if they just made one 2 or 3 times the size capable of 120db *biggrin*

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Well after a couple of years of dreaming about it I’ve just placed an order for a pair of Event Opals, really excited to get them but I’ve got a little wait.

Anyone else use a valve pre-amp to actives? I do actually have some KRKs in the same configuration but wondering if things will change with more revealing monitors, might be worth some decent DAC / pre options too.

daveh75

A new contender from Dynaudio to add to the list.

dynaudioexcitex14a.jpg

Dynaudio Excite X14A, 50W amp for tweeters, and 50W for mid/bass, DSP, RCA and XLR inputs £1350 a pair.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudio-reveals-excite-x14a-active-speakers

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/excite/excite_x14a.php

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone had a comparative demo of these.

All seem to have great reviews and be excellent buys at their price points.

But a direct comparison would be excellent.

There is an excellent review of the Focal CMS50 on Andrew Evarard's website. Not least because his reviews in general are detailed, thorough and he has lots of experience too.

Much appreciated.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pkerai said:
Hi,

has anyone had a comparative demo of these.

All seem to have great reviews and be excellent buys at their price points.

But a direct comparison would be excellent.

There is an excellent review of the Focal CMS50 on Andrew Evarard's website. Not least because his reviews in general are detailed, thorough and he has lots of experience too.

Much appreciated.

Surely size and power wise the AVI DM10 would be a more appropriate comparison than the dinky DM5's?

I haven't heard the Focal's but I have heard the DM5's and the Opal's. They're two quite different speakers.

The Opal's are big, loud and very powerful speakers. Their bass goes very deep and hits hard like a big subwoofer but it's also well controlled too. They're very good all round speakers with excellent clarity throughout the whole frequency range and have a good stereo image. The treble is very good by regular passive hifi speaker standards but it still isn't quite as good as the very best active speakers that I've heard. If you can live with their unique looks I highly recommend them. Very nice sounding clear speakers that can go loud and do proper bass.

The DM5's on the other hand are a very different speaker. They're much smaller and less powerful so they won't go anywhere near as loud or as deep as the Opal's but in every other respect they're the better speaker. The clarity is a step up from the Opal's and combines detail and smoothness in a way that is rare and is very impressive. The treble and stereo image in particular are the best that I've ever heard from any speaker ever irrespective of the price. While they won't play at party levels with sub bass that physically punches you hard they do still have plenty of bass and go pretty loud for such a compact speaker. They also sound much clearer at high volume levels than most other 5" bookshelf speakers tend to be. When partnered with a good subwoofer they're the most enjoyable and easy to listen to speakers that I've ever come across, even when compared to speakers costing ten times as much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts