Floorstanders around £3,000 - a tale of two speakers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Pedro2 said:
There are lots of evil things in this world but the price of ATC speakers isn't one of them!
Agreed, and mine are some of the cheapest.  They are in the 'entry level' range.  

A takeaway latte coffee every working day would run though the same cost over five years. My last speakers were acquired in 1997, so I'm not a regular box-swapper! 

Hindsight is good but if you spent £4000 on ebay you could have had a mint pair of pro50s asl
Just add quality preamp

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Macspur said:
At the end of the day, it's noone's business other than the individual making the purchase. As long as they didn't rob a Bank to pay for them. It's their money and I'm sure they've worked hard to earn it.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
It was an insurance policy as it happens, Mac - but I had been saving there for thirty

Even better!

What price pleasure? life's too short, just enjoy

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Pedro2 said:
There are lots of evil things in this world but the price of ATC speakers isn't one of them!
Agreed, and mine are some of the cheapest. They are in the 'entry level' range.

A takeaway latte coffee every working day would run though the same cost over five years. My last speakers were acquired in 1997, so I'm not a regular box-swapper!

Hindsight is good but if you spent £4000 on ebay you could have had a mint pair of pro50s asl Just add quality preamp
Fair point, and just last week there was an ATC preamp on eBay for just two grand which lasted less than 48 hours. Also, while mine were being made there were a pair of SCM40 (in black ash, mind) on sale from a trader I know for about £2k, and less than a year old. However, I've managed to buy the amp and CD player this year with each about £6-700 off list, so I know there are bargains to be had!

The opportunity to try the ATCs at home, and return the electrostatics I didn't like, was invaluable for me. So I'm happy it was a wise investment.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Pedro2 said:
Agreed, and mine are some of the cheapest.  They are in the 'entry level' range.  

Hindsight is good but if you spent £4000 on ebay you could have had a mint pair of pro50s asl Just add quality preamp
Fair point, and just last week there was an ATC preamp on eBay for just two grand which lasted less than 48 hours.  Also, while mine were being made there were a pair of SCM40 (in black ash, mind) on sale from a trader I know for about £2k, and less than a year old.  However, I've managed to buy the amp and CD player this year with each about £6-700 off list, so I know there are bargains to be had! 

The opportunity to try the ATCs at home, and return the electrostatics I didn't like, was invaluable for me.  So I'm happy it was a wise investment.  

Any atc is investment imo enjoy

lpv said:
a pair of under year old scm40 sold for about £2000, that's quite high depreciation and poor investment
I agree it is steep depreciation if you were the original owner. The context is relevant I think.

The seller buys hifi for a living and asked £2200 for a few days, then reduced the price and they went almost at once. They would've been adversely affected by the lack of boxes. (I understand these things get in the way if you've no loft or garage, but they are worth a lot if you try to sell). He is a pretty canny seller I reckon. I've been following him since I sold him my early Linn Valhalla to him about four years ago.

I can only guess he offered the owner about £1,500! He has seller fees and tax to pay from his sale. With boxes I reckon a private sale would achieve at least £2,000 and maybe reach £2,500.

One hardly ever knows why nearly new gear is sold off - sometimes it's a house move, but maybe it was a bad choice for that listener...

I think mine are keepers. I can't afford a divorce!

Thanks. Interesting read, Nopiano.

The PMCs are fabulous but no doubt a better quality speaker should, in theory improve things overall.

I'll probably shortlist (if and when the time comes) the ATCs, along with Totem Manis and Sonus Faber..

Sorry to hijack your thread.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Kubs said:
Hi nopiano,

You've had your ATC s for over a week now ... How are you getting on with them ?

I'd imagine he's still getting over positioning the damn things.... ;-)

By the time you are wise enough to appreciate them....you're too old to lift them! *scratch_one-s_head*

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Kubs said:
Hi nopiano,

You've had your ATC s for over a week now ... How are you getting on with them ?

I'd imagine he's still getting over positioning the damn things.... ;-)

By the time you are wise enough to appreciate them....you're too old to lift them! *scratch_one-s_head*
Not had as much listening time as I'd hoped, but the main things that stand out apart from the generally excellent, clean sound and understated looks are:-

1. Definitely work well at higher levels, and no obvious compression. Would need an enormous amp to strain them, I imagine. Different at lower levels to the old ones, maybe less rich, but still quite revealing.

2. Not spent much time aligning etc as I pretty much worked that out with the demo pair.

3. Sound scarcely changes around the room, so you almost feel you can walk up to the musicians.

4. Do reveal scrappy recordings for what they are, but not so much as to impair enjoyment.

5. Work better than I hoped with LPs/vinyl, not highlighting surface noise or rumble (which I infer is due to excellent tweeter design and sealed box enclosure respectively)

Hard to put into words, but they seem like a long-term companion, and would get better still if I had the money for more sophisticated electronics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts