Floorstanders around £3,000 - a tale of two speakers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the tip PP - duly noted. The nearest ATC dealer is Oranges and Lemon hi fi based in clapham which is 20mins on the train. I'll checkout Igloo when I have a free weekend ... Cheers,

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Macspur said:
A really enjoyable read, but I was hoping you might have had Harbeth in your list.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Dear Mac, I did, in the sense that I'd heard them a couple of times at the Bristol show, and was mightily taken with their naturalness. The Super HL5+ specifically that is. I also followed some exchanges on their forum, and enjoyed Alan Shaw's unique and very rigorous take on most things audio. However, two things got in the way:-

1. The traditional look and need for stands. Not very appealing after my Sonus fabers.

2. The nearest dealers being Essex and Sussex, when we are in South East Wales. Though willing to travel, that was stretching it a bit, especially if I wanted a home dem.

Aside from loving the ATC's sound, I have a lot of respect for their engineering pedigree and studio relevance. The fact that we used to live in Kemble, just a few miles from the factory near Stroud was the icing on the cake! It's a long time since I had a British speakers. My Celestion SL600s were stolen in 1997!

And, ironically I'd gone to Paul Green because he had Sonus faber and MartinLogan. But he clearly loves ATC too!

Ah I see, fair enough.

It's just that I don't have very good memories of ATC SCM40, the prev model that is, but my system was totally different then and it would be interesting now, to hear the new version with my current amp. and source.

I look forward to your thoughts once the new speakers have settled in.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Hi nopiano

As posted elsewhere we had our original pair of curved SCM40 passive monitors for over three years (first production pair from December 2013 - February 2017) and I didn't hear a change in their presentation.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Kubs said:
Thanks for the tip PP - duly noted. The nearest ATC dealer is Oranges and Lemon hi fi based in clapham which is 20mins on the train. I'll checkout Igloo when I have a free weekend ... Cheers,

You must be mighty close-by to me then...

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Next time I'm drop by to hear your very high end system :)

Yes - I've seen you post in another thread that you are in Balham? I'm out towards Sutton.

How are the 40s sounding now, nopiano?

insider9

Kubs said:
Kubs, my dealings with Igloo though only exchanging emails and ordering online are all positive. Not going as far as saying that I recommend them but I'd definitely wouldn't have problems dealing with them again as it's been a pleasure.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
No way - what a small world. I'm 5 mins from Carshalton Beeches station.

O&L is a great dealer, very friendly ... I believe they started stocking ATC around 2 years ago.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nopiano,

Thanks for the excellent review of your findings - I've been on a similar quest. My nearest ATC dealer is over 2 hours away, which sadly eliminated that option due to dodgy back. I had extensive dems with the PMC25/24 and Spendor D7, both with the Marantz 14SE duo. Spendor won that one, and easily beat some B&Ws & MAs to my ears. However, I returned to the Opticons at home and felt they were competitive on many fronts at 1/3 the price. Based on this, I have the Rubicon 6s on trial which have all the resolution and musicality of the Spendors with a slightly more forgiving top end to my ears. Bass is superb. Still running in, but am confident that they will be keepers and probably my last ever HiFi purchase other than a streamer when the MQA dust has settled. Trickle down benefits see the Opticons move to front AV and the Ikons to the rear. Job done.

Last post from me as upgrading all done and the forum in decline. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts and happy listening to all.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@Kubs:

Been into Oranges and Lemons in Webbs Road years ago to hear a pair of Neat Momentum 3s. Can't remember seeing any ATCs, unless it's a fairly recent addition.

BTW, I was born and lived in Carshalton. 
Yes it is recent addition. I had a listen to the Atc's late last year, sadly not to my taste, but can understand why people would like them.

emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Nopiano,

Thanks for the excellent review of your findings - I've been on a similar quest. My nearest ATC dealer is over 2 hours away, which sadly eliminated that option due to dodgy back. I had extensive dems with the PMC25/24 and Spendor D7, both with the Marantz 14SE duo. Spendor won that one, and easily beat some B&Ws & MAs to my ears. However, I returned to the Opticons at home and felt they were competitive on many fronts at 1/3 the price. Based on this, I have the Rubicon 6s on trial which have all the resolution and musicality of the Spendors with a slightly more forgiving top end to my ears. Bass is superb. Still running in, but am confident that they will be keepers and probably my last ever HiFi purchase other than a streamer when the MQA dust has settled. Trickle down benefits see the Opticons move to front AV and the Ikons to the rear. Job done.

Last post from me as upgrading all done and the forum in decline. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts and happy listening to all.
Hi ENC, and thanks for your update too. I've not heard this generation of Dali, yet as you saw above I was keen to try something with ribbons. They certainly look stunning in the pics I've seen.

My cousin is a musician and has older Dalis. I'm sure they'll be great, but there's no substitute for listening at home, is there?

Don't give up on the forum, though. Maybe you just need a break?

Best wishes.

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi nopiano

Nice one

Btw, what finish have you chosen for your curved SCM40's please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
The cherry wood, Rick. I reckoned it is "the" ATC look, and it makes a nice change for us too! Are they your best sellers?

Hi nopiano

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Cherry is our best selling finish although the relatively new Satin Black finish is starting to sell through well. As we were going to be taking on Esoteric we decided that this time would have our demo/display curved SCM40 passive monitors in Satin Black as this finish contrasts perfectly with Silver finish of Esoteric electronics
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
I think the ATC is bit of a bargain. but for pure engineering

Hi nopiano

+1 x2 Have you seen the drive units in the flesh?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Not outside the cabinet...but you have some great pics in your Facebook page which I've studied! They look superb.

There was a possibility that I might be able to collect mine from the factory, and have a tour at the same time. I'd jump at the chance!

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Not outside the cabinet...but you have some great pics in your Facebook page which I've studied! They look superb.

There was a possibility that I might be able to collect mine from the factory, and have a tour at the same time. I'd jump at the chance!

Hi nopiano

Thanks.

We have most of ATC's drive units here around the store and they look even better in the flesh. Its only then when you can truly appreciate their massive engineering. Even after ten years here ATC's drive units still continue to get the wow reaction from most clients and trade visitors. And the ATC driver that impresses the most is the Super Soft Dome mid range unit. Worth a visit although don't mess with the ATC chickens *biggrin*

Btw, let me know when you've got a few weeks with your 40's and i'll pm you details of a disc which will really test your new monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi nopiano

Thanks.

We have most of ATC's drive units here around the store and they look even better in the flesh. Its only then when you can truly appreciate their massive engineering. Even after ten years here ATC's drive units still continue to get the wow reaction from most clients and trade visitors. And the ATC driver that impresses the most is the Super Soft Dome mid range unit. Worth a visit although don't mess with the ATC chickens *biggrin*

Btw, let me know when you've got a few weeks with your 40's and i'll pm you details of a disc which will really test your new monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Last weekend when I bought my SCM11s the dealer showed my a driver from a SCM19, the thing weighed some 10kg. Pretty impressive build, for sure :D

TRENDING THREADS