Floorstanders around £3,000 - a tale of two speakers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Pedro said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
I think the ATC is bit of a bargain. but for pure engineering

Hi nopiano

+1 x2 Have you seen the drive units in the flesh?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Not outside the cabinet...but you have some great pics in your Facebook page which I've studied! They look superb.

There was a possibility that I might be able to collect mine from the factory, and have a tour at the same time. I'd jump at the chance!

Hi nopiano

Thanks.

We have most of ATC's drive units here around the store and they look even better in the flesh. Its only then when you can truly appreciate their massive engineering. Even after ten years here ATC's drive units still continue to get the wow reaction from most clients and trade visitors. And the ATC driver that impresses the most is the Super Soft Dome mid range unit. Worth a visit although don't mess with the ATC chickens *biggrin*

Btw, let me know when you've got a few weeks with your 40's and i'll pm you details of a disc which will really test your new monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Last weekend when I bought my SCM11s the dealer showed my a driver from a SCM19, the thing weighed some 10kg. Pretty impressive build, for sure :D

Hi Pedro

Absolutely
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, let me know when you've got a few weeks with your 40's and i'll pm you details of a disc which will really test your new monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thank you, Rick, that's very thoughtful. I got a call yesterday as they were ready within two weeks, and I collected them this afternoon. Will probably unbox them in the morning, as I need to co-opt a strong neighbour to help me in with them!

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thank you, Rick, that's very thoughtful. I got a call yesterday as they were ready within two weeks, and I collected them this afternoon. Will probably unbox them in the morning, as I need to co-opt a strong neighbour to help me in with them!

I know a good forklift driver. :)

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Congrats nopiano!

Then again perhaps congratulations are in order only after the forklift guy arrives...:)

Kubs said:
Hey nopiano,

Have you set your speakers up yet?
Hi kubs, yes on Sunday. Very carefully!

Not had much listening time but I'm pleased to say I could hear no 'we need breaking in' characteristics. I guess they might get better still, but the clarity, focus and lack of clutter was immediately obvious. And I'd been enjoying my old speakers during the wait, almost to the point where I'd begun to wonder if I'd been rash. But now I've heard them again I know it was the right decision! I'd liken it to going to HD TV after SD - the same picture, but everything in much sharper focus.

I was amused to see the guarantee card was signed in 18th May. The dealer rang me on 19th, I collected them on 20th, and they were playing on 21st! I expect Rick will have delivered some the day they were made, but maybe this is a record?

I will write more another time, but I need some serious/fun listening first!

PS. Have been listening to demo playlist of Qobuz Sublime +, the new hires streaming service. Very impressed so far. Not sure if this link will work for others, but here goes:- http://player.qobuz.com/#!/playlist/1452463

Romulus said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the engineers at ATC believe in the concept of 'burning in'.
I don't know what they think, but I do know that the user manual is silent on this. Certain users on their forum, and here, suggest lengthy periods are required - tens or hundreds of hours. Others say not.

Have you any experience one way or t'other?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Romulus said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the engineers at ATC believe in the concept of 'burning in'.
I don't know what they think, but I do know that the user manual is silent on this.  Certain users on their forum, and here, suggest lengthy periods are required - tens or hundreds of hours.  Others say not.  

Hi hope you enjoying your brand new 40s?

Regards burn in of atc speakers

Im someone who does not believe in amps running in/warm up, fancy snake oil cables, conditioners and such things.

I also never believed greatly in speaker run in, however

When i first got my atc, I was involved in a bake off between my atcscm11s and avi dm10s. The atcs were practically brand new.

Now before i go into detail, ill say that i nor anyone else will not notice a change in sound from new to a few hundred hours but.

On the 1st bake off the avi dm10s were clearer by a long way with the atcs sounding thick and congested in comparison.

Move forward a few months and the same bake off all the differences to me had vanished.

Also a chap at wilmslow audio who deals with genuine atc drivers told me he was told iver 400 hours to run in.

Either way i dont think you will notice a change in sound or a run in period unless you do direct ab comparisons between another speaker.

I woulf not worry about it and just enjoy them as they sound awesome straight out the box.

nopiano said:
Romulus said:
I don't know what they think, but I do know that the user manual is silent on this. Certain users on their forum, and here, suggest lengthy periods are required - tens or hundreds of hours. Others say not.

I don't foresee huge burn in times making a vast difference but then again never owned ATC s.

Let me know when you have run them for a while and I will attempt to get over for a listen..... ;-)

P.S.: Did you sell your other speakers?

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thank you, Rick, that's very thoughtful.

Hi nopiano

You're welcome.

The recordings will even wake up ATC's drive units *biggrin* And this is no mean feat
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I know a good forklift driver. :)

Hi Al ears

I double up as a forklift *biggrin* Lots of experience in unboxing and moving ATC monitors
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

nopiano said:
Romulus said:

Hi nopiano

If you haven't seen it then there is an interesting post from Brad.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Romulus said:

I don't foresee huge burn in times making a vast difference but then again never owned ATC s.

Let me know when you have run them for a while and I will attempt to get over for a listen..... ;-)

P.S.: Did you sell your other speakers?
Will do, Al. Still have the old ones, and may put them on eBay some time. Just need to find the original manual and invoice.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
SUCH AN EVIL PRICE

and for what, speakers, good grief !

This adds to the bad/evil/wrong-pricing/and downright wickedness in The World Today..... you CAN AFFORD SUCH A PRICE ....

.............................. for speakers ?

THREE GRAND......... for speakers ???????????????????

Away for a week.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
SUCH AN EVIL PRICE

and for what, speakers, good grief !

This adds to the bad/evil/wrong-pricing/and downright wickedness in The World Today..... you CAN AFFORD SUCH A PRICE ....

.............................. for speakers ?

Depends what perspective you are looking at, there I cam imagine a marked amount of people who go out to the pub each day and drink at least three pints of beer a day; lets say a pint is approx £3.30, so in a year that would be £3,326.40 - and for what, alcohol, good grief ! *smile*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's noone's business other than the individual making the purchase. As long as they didn't rob a Bank to pay for them. It's their money and I'm sure they've worked hard to earn it.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Pedro2 said:
There are lots of evil things in this world but the price of ATC speakers isn't one of them!
Agreed, and mine are some of the cheapest. They are in the 'entry level' range.

A takeaway latte coffee every working day would run though the same cost over five years. My last speakers were acquired in 1997, so I'm not a regular box-swapper!

TRENDING THREADS