The active speakers club

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
http://rivers-tone.com/

This compact two-way amplifier and speaker system will set you back a cool £4 million. Their website says "Bi-amplification technology for tweeter and woofer" and looking at the four speaker terminal arrangement on both the amplifier and speakers it really is a proper active system.

Anyone tempted?

3Qtr-with-Top-0776-Left-big.jpg

daveh75

Just noticed Monkey Banana have a new model expected late summer 2016.

The Baboon 6. Similar in looks to the Turbo range, but with an 'Air Motion Transformer' tweeter

Detailbild_Baboon6_2-250x250.jpg

woofer: 6 1/2-inch Kevlar cone

Tweeter: 4750mm² Air Motion Transformer (AMT)

Frequency response: 50 Hz-30 kHz RF Level: 6dB ~ +6 dB adjustable at 10kHz LF Level: 6dB ~ +6 dB adjustable at 100Hz Crossover frequency: 3kHz

LF - amplifier power: 50W

HF - Amplifier Power: 30W

Level HF / LF: 90dB / 95dB THD + N at rated power HF / LF: 00:02% / 0.05%

inputs: XLR / jack - Neutrik combo jacks, RCA, S / PDIF - RCA input for digital signals...

http://www.monkey-banana.de/project/baboon-6-aktiver-studiomonitor/

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
http://rivers-tone.com/

This compact two-way amplifier and speaker system will set you back a cool £4 million. Their website says "Bi-amplification technology for tweeter and woofer" and looking at the four speaker terminal arrangement on both the amplifier and speakers it really is a proper active system.

Anyone tempted?

Looks like it is made for the oil rich markets....vile!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Funilly enough I owned one of those many years ago, not totally sold on the concept of adding channels to an existing stereo amp but it is a fine bit of kit. I recall it having a slighly forward sound edging towards bright but without being harsh. It is a very able communicator.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Funilly enough I owned one of those many years ago, not totally sold on the concept of adding channels to an existing stereo amp but it is a fine bit of kit. I recall it having a slighly forward sound edging towards bright but without being harsh. It is a very able communicator.

I can't comment on the sound of the power amplifier section as it's never been used.

The DAC and pre-amp section has no sound at all though and is identical to both the AVI DAC/pre and my NJC DAC/pre.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:
The DAC/pre in the Yamaha sounds the same as the NJC DAC/pre and my old O2 DAC/pre.

Which may just prove all old DACs are equally bad.

I think not. If they were bad they would still sound 'different' to each other.

Each indivdual NJC DAC and amp are measured and a print out of the results included in the box. They have extremely low destortion. Much lower that what's audible.

The O2 is also well know for having ultra low destortion measurments that are on a par with the Benchmark DAC.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:
The DAC/pre in the Yamaha sounds the same as the NJC DAC/pre and my old O2 DAC/pre.

Each indivdual NJC DAC and amp are measured and a print out of the results included in the box. They have extremely low destortion. Much lower that what's audible.

The O2 is also well know for having ultra low destortion measurments that are on a par with the Benchmark DAC.

Do they print any distortion measurements at power levels through the DAC that would be the equivalent of 35 dbs at 1 metre in front of your speakers?

Do they print any distortion measurements at power levels through the DAC that would be the equivalent of 35 dbs at 1 metre in front of my main speakers?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
steve_1979 said:
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:

Do they print any distortion measurements at power levels through the DAC that would be the equivalent of 35 dbs at 1 metre in front of your speakers?

Do they print any distortion measurements at power levels through the DAC that would be the equivalent of 35 dbs at 1 metre in front of my main speakers?

I'm not sure. I'd post a photo of them for you to see but they're packed away in cardboard boxes in the loft now.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
What do you guys use as pre-amps for your actives? Anyone use passives pres with good results?

I tried several before settling on a Yamaha DSP-E800. It's not 'passive' but it functions as a DAC and pre-amp. Sound quality wise the signal from 'pre-outs' is audibly transparent.

Unlike regular DAC/pre-amps it allows me easy remote controlled adjustment of the subwoofer volume and has a dynamic range compressor function which is useful to keep the excessive volume swings in check when watching action films.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
What do you guys use as pre-amps for your actives? Anyone use passives pres with good results?

Never used a passive preamp. Just the U-05 and HDP in my signature.

Ive also used a headphone amp's headphone out as a pre and for a while I just used a DAC into actives in my living room fed by an Apple TV and used the remote App or the volume control on Apple Music on my phone to control the volume. Not ideal but it worked well enough and kept things neat

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2013/11/15/bo-tech-whats-so-great-about-active-loudspeakers/

Being a thread about active speakers, I thought some might be interested in B&O's reasons for active operation - an interesting post by Dr. Geoff Martin from his blog on B&O tech.

Cheers

John..

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Comedy gold – you're a marketing person's dream.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Comedy gold – you're a marketing person's dream.

If you want to follow me around the forum trolling at every opportunity that's fine. I really couldn't care less.

But by continuing your behaviour here, in this thread, you're being disrespectful to AlmaataKZ and the other members who post in it. Have a little respect for others and read the posts on the first page before replying.

Four years ago the thread starter AlmaataKZ politely requested that it should be kept it civil and constructive. Over those four years it's become a useful resource and interesting read for anyone interested in active speakers. It has also stayed friendly and civil throughout that time.

Don't spoil it now with with your petty snide comments.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
If you want to follow me around the forum trolling at every opportunity that's fine.

No-one's either following or trolling you, just disagreeing with you. If you can't hack being disagreed with, don't post. And please don't give me that 'noble edifice founded in the interests of humanity' BS: it's a thread on a hi-fi forum, ffs. Get over it.

daveh75

Mackie announced a new model a couple of weeks ago.

The XR Series.

xr624_model_lineup_1.png

The XR624 has a 1" tweeter and 6.5" woofer, the XR824 has 1" tweeter and 8.5" woofer. Both models have 60W of HF & 100W of LF Class-D amplification.

More Details

Thomman have them listed on their site as expected 14/10/16 and priced at £372 & £455 each, respectively.

TRENDING THREADS