The active speakers club

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I think NOT AVAILIBLE AT THE MOMENT is probably closer to the truth.

If there is perceived demand I think DM5s will get another run.
AVI HiFi11 February ·
DM5s are all sold and it is unlikely that we'll make more. Unless we can sell batches of fifty fairly quickly, it's not worth the effort.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Heres a general question... why are most near field montors two way designs? Is it that for the task of pro-monitoring, it is not so essential to dig deep into instrument textures and other midrange detail?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
In order to fool your ears and your brain into the illusion of a soundstage, the sound produced by different drivers must integrate seamlessly. The closer you seat to the speakers, and the more drivers the speakers have, the more difficult it is to achieve this.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Theo said:

Have you had a chance to audition these ATC Actives? Not a lot of reviews out there yet.

Hi Theo, I take it you refer to the SCM40s? I heard them just yesterday, with a Chord Hugo as DAC/preamp. They are rather impressive: very clear, dynamic, excellent transients, tuneful bass (though the SMC50 and 100 deliver more and deeper bass still, my dealer told me), with precise soundstage, that is stable in a rather wide sweet-spot. They are revealing in a good way, natural -- not attention grabbing at first listen, but they grow on you (rather easily and quickly).

They are not too monolithic -- they look smaller than the specs would have you think, due to their curved cheeks, no doubt. And they can be used pretty close to the room boundaries too.

In short: excellent VFM, if you ask me. (I haven't heard the passive 40s though, so can't comment on the active vs. passive difference.)

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

What do the AVI Neutron 5's sound like in comparison with the newer DM5's then.

The Neutrons include a DAC and Preamp too.

Seems like a fair comparison between two similar brand models. Has the evolution been a success, and how?

Steve, can you provide a detailed answer?

SteveR750

Theo said:

Have you had a chance to audition these ATC Actives? Not a lot of reviews out there yet.

No, not yet. As good as they might be, I'd make a bigger jump up the ATC range if i was going active, though Doc/g's comments apply to the passive versions too; they don't jump down your throat unless you ask them to with your choice of music and sound pressure level. If it gets fatiguing, it's because the band you are listening to is boring, not the presentation of the boxes.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pkerai said:
Hi,

What do the AVI Neutron 5's sound like in comparison with the newer DM5's then.

The Neutrons include a DAC and Preamp too.

Seems like a fair comparison between two similar brand models. Has the evolution been a success, and how?

Steve, can you provide a detailed answer?

They both have a fairly similar AVI family sound but the DM5's are definitely better than the Neutron 5's in every respect. It's also worth bearing in mind that the DM5's are active speakers with built in amplifiers where the N5's are just regular passive speakers without any amplification built in.

Compared to the N5's the DM5 tweeter is only a little bit clearer but more importantly it's much smoother and nicer sounding with it. The improvement in the treble is the biggest difference between the two IMO. With the N5's I prefered to listen with the treble turned down by 1dB but with the DM5 I don't feel the need to do this anymore. The mid-range on the DM5 is a little bit clearer too and they image better with a sharper and more open '3D picture' of the music laid out in front of you.

The bass from the N5's is quite similar to the DM5's. The DM5's have slightly tighter and better defined bass but it's only when I started using the DM5's with the AVI subwoofer that I really noticed the improvement here (I also used the N5's with an AVI subwoofer too).

Neither the DM5's or N5's include a DAC in the speakers. It's only the ADM9 and DM10 that has a DAC. However with the N5's you can use them with the matching Neutron 5 subwoofer which has a DAC and 300 watts of amplification built in (100 watts for the sub and 2 x 100 watt for the speakers) and this makes for a very neat 'all in one' 2.1 system when partnered with the Neutron 5 speakers.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Theo said:

No, not yet. As good as they might be, I'd make a bigger jump up the ATC range if i was going active, though Doc/g's comments apply to the passive versions too; they don't jump down your throat unless you ask them to with your choice of music and sound pressure level. If it gets fatiguing, it's because the band you are listening to is boring, not the presentation of the boxes.

What are these like at late night listening levels? Does the sound remain a good balance of lows to highs or does the bass just disappear?

I spotted a pair of SCM 100 actives for around 6 grand, used obviously, in black laquer. I really don't like the look of the older ATC's but in black they looked alright. I'd be concerned about bass levels from a speaker like that due to neighbours above and to the side.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For the (ex) guitar players amongst us: the Gibson Les Paul! £800 each, with a 8" carbon woofer and 1" carbon-coated titanium tweeter; front-ported; bass- and treble-shelving. Don't know what they sound like, but the looks are to die for (IMO).

LP8CB_front-800x600.png

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
For the (ex) guitar players amongst us: the Gibson Les Paul! £800 each, with a 8" carbon woofer and 1" carbon-coated titanium tweeter; front-ported; bass- and treble-shelving. Don't know what they sound like, but the looks are to die for (IMO).

I love the effect on the wood and the curves but think they could do a bit better with the rest of it.

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Theo said:
SteveR750 said:

What are these like at late night listening levels?  Does the sound remain a good balance of lows to highs or does the bass just disappear?

I spotted a pair of SCM 100 actives for around 6 grand, used obviously, in black laquer. I really don't like the look of the older ATC's but in black they looked alright.  I'd be concerned about bass levels from a speaker like that due to neighbours above and to the side.

I find them fine, but your ears are going to be the problem at quiet levels. I'm lucky to live in a large detached house with deaf neighbours, so quiet is a relative term of course. The tonal response of the speakers doesn't change with volume.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as the Zensor 1 gets a bit of love on the forums I thought it interesting that they've come up with an active version the Zensor 1ax

52015dali.jpg

"Rated at 53 Hz to 26.5 kHz, the 1AX are configured as a master slave so just one speaker contains the 50W amp along with an internal 24/96-capable DAC (1x Toslink input). The A1X also offers a 3.5mm analog input and employs aptX Bluetooth for easy wireless streaming. " http://www.audiostream.com/content/dali-zensor-1ax

Claims active, but not sure how that works with master-slave configuration if there's just one 50W amp in one speaker. Maybe the traditional assumption that any speaker with the amp inside is an active speaker. Possibly just a powered speaker.

daveh75

ID. said:
Claims active,  but not sure how that works with master-slave configuration if there's just one 50W amp in one speaker. Maybe the traditional assumption that any speaker with the amp inside is an active speaker. Possibly just a powered speaker.

They're not active, just powered passives...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
ID. said:
Claims active, but not sure how that works with master-slave configuration if there's just one 50W amp in one speaker. Maybe the traditional assumption that any speaker with the amp inside is an active speaker. Possibly just a powered speaker.

They're not active, just powered passives...
That's a shame.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Funky. I'd still prefer white. Not that even white was available here. Wonder how much of a premium these command compared to the standard grey?

TRENDING THREADS