The active speakers club

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
For less than 1,000 you could have the Dali Kubik Free. Their passive speakers are well reviewed. Not sure what the active versions carry in terms of power though - I believe there are more powerful alternatives.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
For less than 1,000 you could have the Dali Kubik Free. Their passive speakers are well reviewed. Not sure what the active versions carry in terms of power though - I believe there are more powerful alternatives.

This is one of the better examples of active designs from a mainstream hi-fi manufacturer. It does however vere towards the 'lifestyle' end of the market with it's styling, onboard dac/preamp, Bluetooth connectivity etc.

If those features appeal to you and will be used, then the Kubik is a very good option, as a straightforward pair of active speakers for a conventional setup, there is better value to be had elsewhere

iancass

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I am going to listen to a few speakers recommended here, the Quad 9AS could be a good start.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/quad-9as-active-speakers-pair

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
In this case 'lifestyle' means they look better, have more connection options and only use one plug socket. Far more practical. If you want a DAC and pre-amp included there aren't so many options at below £1,000. Bluetooth is an addition you won't find in many alternatives either.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
http://andreweverard.com/2014/04/03/review-focal-cms-50-active-speakers/

focal_cms50_av_s_grille.jpg

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Very good speakers, also listen to the bigger cms65. I felt they had a different sound to say they're in the same range, but I did find them both very enjoyable.

Never got chance to listen to the Focal solo6 be, but they are supposed to be a bit special.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
John Duncan said:
I think the Cantons look pretty and useful - would work well with the Stream Magic as a preamp via XLR if digital inputs were all you needed. More attractive than the Quads anyway...

we're looking forward to seeing how the Cantons work as possible desktop companions to our A&K players (new AK240 has balanced output...)

any news on this front?

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Focal-JMlab have also recently launched the Alpha 50/65/80 range, it is a new "budget" line similar to ADAM Audio's F-Series and Genelec's M Series (which is not that cheap).

5LyFfGX.jpg

Having just got a second house I'm looking at a few options regarding speakers, completely different budgets but the following are currently being considered:

- ADAM Audio Classic Column Mk3

- ADAM Audio S3X (-H or -V)

- Event Opal

- Genelec 8260A SAM

- Nubert electronic nuPro A-300

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I totally discounted Genelec to have a listen to, but I've had my 8050's for a couple of months now and they're not harsh or bright as I'd heard in my research.

I would love to hear the 8260's, but they are crazy money.

I don't need a sub with the 8050's, I hope you don't have neighbours at the new pad, I imagine the 8260's will have an incredible output.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sanders Active electrostatic speakers incorporating an active transmission line sub .

You have a choice of analogue or digital active crossovers and amplifiers or you can use your own amps if you want .

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/electrostatic-speakers

I talked about these on another thread so I thought I would add them here .

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Genelec's new G range is interesting for home use -

- a good range of models, inlcuding subs and multichannel configuration, extensive mounting options

- signal sensing

- adjustable for position and gain

- looks are quite distinct so not suitable for everyone

Look at the quality of Genelec suport at their forum - very quick, detailed and to-the-point replies. http://www.community.genelec.com/forum/

gasolin

Have just got my Adam a5x (had the new krk rokit powered 5 g3) and they are good.

Can the hifi speakers with amplifer in one speaker and a cable from that speaker to a passiv one considered a real active speaker?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Have just got my Adam a5x (had the new krk rokit powered 5 g3) and they are good.

Can the hifi speakers with amplifer in one speaker and a cable from that speaker to a passiv one considered a real active speaker?

No, because it isn't.

The generally accepted requirement for a speaker to be deemed 'active' is to have an 'active' crossover at line level, before the power amplifiers which are directly connected to the drive units.

The physical location of the crossover and amplifiers is not important, it may be integrated in the enclosure, bolted on the back or outboard and completele separate.

The integrated approach is favoured at the more affordable end of the market as it saves a fortune on expensive casework for the electronics.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Those Kyron speakers, mentioned in the comments, look the business (dipole, DEQX-controlled)!

I take it the price must be as outlandish as the looks...

Australian price is roughly 110,000€/£90,000 per pair, if I remember correctly.

If you were to order the tweeters and midwoofers yourself, directly from Scan-Speak, you would already be looking at 1,200€/£1,000 per speaker; I don't know the unit cost of those 12'' woofers.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
EvPa said:
DocG said:
Those Kyron speakers, mentioned in the comments, look the business (dipole, DEQX-controlled)!

I take it the price must be as outlandish as the looks...

Australian price is roughly 110,000€/£90,000 per pair, if I remember correctly.

If you were to order the tweeters and midwoofers yourself, directly from Scan-Speak, you would already be looking at 1,200€/£1,000 per speaker; I don't know the unit cost of those 12'' woofers.

:eek:utcold:

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:

Ah, so we both have the A5X's right now :).

gasolin

Broner said:
gasolin said:

Yes. (mine are just new)

The a7x is much more expensive so i chose the a5x, which is perfect for my isoacoustisc 155 stand (desktop) and the only difference with the adam a7x is a few hz and a about 4db higher spl for about 320€,265€ extra.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamProAudio/photos/pb.465335556846675.-2207520000.1397214112./692786590768236/?type=3&theater

Clean,open, sound with lots of power

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
gasolin said:

My Q Acoustics BT3 also have the amplifier in the right speaker, and a rather flimsy, thin and unimpressive cable to the left one that connects that to the left one.

I've thought about changing the cable for at least a better looking one. It is the only analogue cable that I can change since I connect the audio to the right speaker with an optical one. And I'm not a big believer in cables… But now I think, what if I change THE cable and now both speakers sound different?!?

gasolin

unsleepable said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:

My Q Acoustics BT3 also have the amplifier in the right speaker, and a rather flimsy, thin and unimpressive cable to the left one that connects that to the left one.

I've thought about changing the cable for at least a better looking one. It is the only analogue cable that I can change since I connect the audio to the right speaker with an optical one. And I'm not a big believer in cables… But now I think, what if I change THE cable and now both speakers sound different?!?

I hate that, one speaker with amplifier and mabye a different weight and inner volume , then a cable to the other speakers (1-1.5 meters long before the sound gets to the other speaker. Some kind of sound delay?).

Is it the same with passive speaker and a amplifer, does the speaker have different weight,inner volume? no

Mabye theres 1-1.5 meters of cable between the passive and active speaker(time delay?), if the cable isn't the same as the cable inside of the speaker with amp, mabye the sound will change from the passive speaker.

Try the thin power cords and compare it to cheap hifi speaker cable, theres a difference(sound), that is something i think would make a difference if you only want to change cable because of looks and the cable have a different sound then the original cable

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:

Yes. (mine are just new)

The a7x is much more expensive so i chose the a5x, which is perfect for my isoacoustisc 155 stand (desktop) and the only difference with the adam a7x is a few hz and a about 4db higher spl for about 320€,265€ extra.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamProAudio/photos/pb.465335556846675.-2207520000.1397214112./692786590768236/?type=3&theater

Clean,open, sound with lots of power

No.

The A7x produces music on an altogether different scale to the A5x.

Tonally they are pretty similar but the dynamics, the shear punch of the A7x makes it a better speaker and worth the price difference.

Nothing wrong with the A5x of course but if it was as good, the A7x would not be the most popular, biggest selling model in the range.

gasolin

I know the A7X is the most popular on af the Adam AX series, but for the few extra hz and db it's not worth spending the extra money, unless the difference is like the krk rokit vs the krk vxt, then it might be worth the extra money.

I personally would buy the A5X with stands instead of A7X without stands (which is cheaper), but on the other hand if i had a big room i would want the A7X or jbl lsr 308, i dont have a big room so for me the A5X is very good

Heard the adam A8x and the jbl lsr 308, both sounded very good and the jbl's cost less for a pair then 1 adam A8X did (more or less the same price for the jbl's at the yamah hs8), if you are looking for a big active speaker and think the adam A7X,A8X are to expensive, try to listen to the jbl 308, great bang for the buck

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
I personally would buy the A5X with stands instead of A7X without stands (which is cheaper), but on the other hand if i had a big room i would want the A7X

Nah, if you had a big room you would want a pair of S7A Mk2.

gasolin

EvPa said:
gasolin said:
I personally would buy the A5X with stands instead of A7X without stands (which is cheaper), but on the other hand if i had a big room i would want the A7X

Nah, if you had a big room you would want a pair of S7A Mk2.

Nope A77X :rockout:

The S7A Mk2 are insane, they are huge and max spl for a pair 133db (talk about dynamic headroom)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts