The active speakers club

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
The S7A Mk2 are insane, they are huge and max spl for a pair 133db (talk about dynamic headroom)

In that case, here's a "slightly less insane" home setup:

GiJCA2D.jpg

By the way, max SPL at 1m for a pair of S7A Mk2 is over 138db.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
That's not monitors that's pa speakers :rockout:

I perfectly understand what you are saying but please watch the following video when you have some free time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXqyNtkQJ4

At 4:00:

"This is not PA because, it plays loud yes, but it cannot play as loud as a PA speaker does.

The goal, the aim, is accurate, natural reproduction, it's not SPL in itself"

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Genelec has added G Five to the G range. the range now has 5 models.

This range is great IMO - can be used as stereo or multichannel, with or without one of the two F subs or with bigger subs. Signal sensing power makes power on/off very convenient. Plenty of dedicated mounting accessories (pod and basic wall brackets + signal cables included in pirce). Response trims for positioning. Very reasonable prices.

IMG_3500ss.jpg

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Really enjoying my Neumann KH120 A's , soundstaging, detail & bass are quite phenomenal for a speaker of this size.

You know what ultimately made me ditch passive speakers ? That time I bought a brand new pair of ATC SCM 11's and the first thing that I see when opening the box, is an ATC booklet praising the benefits of an active speaker design over a passive one. Such a great way to make your customer feel sattisfied about their newly purchased passive speakers ...... Not such great marketing by ATC because most ATC actives are out of reach for most of us regular mortals' wallets.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This might not be a succesor in true sense, but B&O launched a new pair of active speakers, Beloab 20. They look very similar to the Beolab 9 but are different if you look close enough. (All Class D amps in 20 vs Class AB amps fot mid & high on 9s and different frequency response range, dual voice coils on bass drivers etc)

beolab20-techspec_544x503.png

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/loudspeakers/beolab-20

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
WishTree said:
This might not be a succesor in true sense, but B&O launched a new pair of active speakers, Beloab 20. They look very similar to the Beolab 9 but are different if you look close enough. (All Class D amps in 20 vs Class AB amps fot mid & high on 9s and different frequency response range, dual voice coils on bass drivers etc)

Interesting! At first, I thought it would be the Lab9's little brother, but apparently the 20 is actually taller than the 9. I wonder how the ICE-amp deals with high frequencies...

BTW, still happy with your Lab9s, Wishtree? I just spotted a pair in mint condition for €3000. But you know what they say: "if it looks to good to be true, etc.". Dropped the guy a mail, anyway!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Interesting! At first, I thought it would be the Lab9's little brother, but apparently the 20 is actually taller than the 9. I wonder how the ICE-amp deals with high frequencies...

BTW, still happy with your Lab9s, Wishtree? I just spotted a pair in mint condition for €3000. But you know what they say: "if it looks to good to be true, etc.". Dropped the guy a mail, anyway!

I wonder too :)

Yes, still very happy with my Lab9s! They sound their best after about 10 min warm up time. It looks like the prices / deals are not always openly discussed in HiFi community (which I think should be the other way, so collectively we all can benefit / learn). I paid about 3800 Euros for mine. They are single owner, bought in June 2010 and the dealer gave me one year warrany from his side with 30 day return. There are no original boxes and the condition is truly 'as new'. If you get a pair for 3000 Euros with verifiable history then it is a very good price. But if it is through a private person, there is no harm in getting them even a bit lower depending on the age. There might be other deals available too as some dealers might want to off load the ex-demo stock.

In case you consider to go for them, there are few things to consider. Age of the speakers (especially the active ones) is very important though the 9s are built like a tank. Original packaging comes in one box for both speakers. Sound a bit silly but that is the way it is. Also you need to have the right cables if you match with non B&O system which are priced really reasonable in the audiophile world of cables. These are very powerful speakers especially when some one like me who was used to at best an 8" powered sub woofer. Each has a 10" woofer with about 500W per woofer dedicated power. This was overwhelming in the beginning but now, when I hear other speakers else where, I immediately feel the reduced scale in other smaller speakers compared to the 9s. Lastly, source is very important. I drove the 9s directly from Mac Mini analog output for few days and the sound was very good. But after pairing with Oppo 105D, it went to a different level on all parameters.

Keep us posted how it goes!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
mpapo said:
Really enjoying my Neumann KH120 A's , soundstaging, detail & bass are quite phenomenal for a speaker of this size.

You know what ultimately made me ditch passive speakers ? That time I bought a brand new pair of ATC SCM 11's and the first thing that I see when opening the box, is an ATC booklet praising the benefits of an active speaker design over a passive one. Such a great way to make your customer feel sattisfied about their newly purchased passive speakers ...... Not such great marketing by ATC because most ATC actives are out of reach for most of us regular mortals' wallets.

Second hand active ATCs are a very good, although pretty rare, option - the waranty is long, ATC are excellent re long-term support, owners usually look after them well so they are often in 'as new' condition and the prices can be half-price.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I used to think 'style over substance' of B&O - not any more, now that I know more about them!

They are top-class, high-performance speakers! With style added to that.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why people always think that bang-olufsen are just style over substance. They take audio very seriously and I actually think that they are pioneers in that field. There speakers are unbelievably powerful and sound amazing.

im actually getting either a pair of beolab 17s or the beolab 14 2.1 speakers. The low end from the beolab 17s put many speakers to shame. Each speaker is 320 watts bass response goes down to 31hz when i heard them I was just in awe of the sound quality, detail definition and clarity were a major highlight.

plus they have an adaptive bass via a switch on the speaker which adapts the bass output when placed in either a corner near a wall or free space. One of the major things which I think was a good thing for b&0 was to include the line input on there newer speakers which enables you to use the speakers with pre-amps etc, etc.

last but not least the beolab 20s are in one word sublime I got the chance to hear them last week and they are an improvement on the already amazing beolab 9s take everything that the lab 9s have and double it, there that good.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
markiedee said:
I don't know why people always think that bang-olufsen are just style over substance.

That's hearsay for most! It lasts until you hear their speakers for yourself.

markiedee said:
Each speaker is 320 watts bass response goes down to 31hz.

To be fair: they give their bass extension spec at -10 dB...

markiedee said:
last but not least the beolab 20s are in one word sublime I got the chance to hear them last week and they are an improvement on the already amazing beolab 9s they take everything that the lab 9s have and double it, there that good.

Does that include the price too? (I hope not...)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Does that include the price too? (I hope not...)

If I remember it right, the list prcing of Lab9 is 3900 Euro per piece vs Lab20s at 4500 per piece. To be fair, Lab20 seems to have digital Toslink input along with wireless WISA compliance which seems to justify the price increase (not to mention the inflation)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Is that a new Acoustic Energy active I spot here in post 234?

http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?7827-2014年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show/page24

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone looking for a big, punchy sound on a budget......?

Neusonic are clearing out some models, currently Thomann are selling the NE 08 for just €95 each.

Fully biamped, 70 + 70 watts, 8 inch bass driver, ideal for anyone looking for a big sound with a powerful punchy bass. Just add a computer or a dac, anything with a decent quality analogue out. Less than £160pr.

neusonik-ne08.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/neusonik_ne08.htm

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
DocG said:
markiedee said:
I don't know why people always think that bang-olufsen are just style over substance.

That's hearsay for most! It lasts until you hear their speakers for yourself.

I've never heard them but they look well engineered to me.

From all the many years I've been involved in HiFi, I'd argue that you'd be really struggling to find a speaker with a better pedigree in terms of engineering, (both electrical and acoustical) R&D, finish, aesthetics, quality, and of course performance.

It's also worth mentioning that B&O go to great pains re design and engineering, in terms of how their speakers integrate into a room acoustically - something few manufactures either consider, or have the background research into acoustics to accomplish.

The cabinet shape and and materials as an example, are chosen for acoustic reasons - not just looks.

That is also why you won't find square or cuboid MDF boxes featuring amongst their product portfolio.

It's more expensive to build using materials such as aluminium, but then the upside is that the shipping cost, especially overseas, will be a lot less because of much reduced weight.

Kind regards

JMac. :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts