The active speakers club

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Then it lacks RCA inputs and volume control, so it isn't suitable for HiFi unless you buy a preamp. Unless the inputs and volume controls are hiding somewhere? AV, yes, but they look a bit small.

daveh75

altruistic.lemon said:
Then it lacks RCA inputs and volume control, so it isn't suitable for HiFi unless you buy a preamp.
Given that actives aimed for home use, manufacturers often make the assumption that they're either gonna be hooked to a PC, or a couple of sources at best.

Its the right way to do it as far as i'm concerned. Its saves on the cost of the speakers, and makes them more flexible (you buy the pre that has the connections you need)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, but the time you add in the cost of the pre, you've often doubled the price. Surely the Nubert/Quad approach of having a stack of inputs including USB, remote volume and, in the case of Nubert, DSP is a better approach.

daveh75

No.

I don't consider an box of electronics strapped to the bottom of the speaker, or display and control buttons cluttering up the front (both with limited connectivity) a better approach.

A pre can be hidden away with the sources, if necessary. The Quads, and Nuberts will always be fugly.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Quads look fine and the simplicity is more geared toward home users. I always thought the main advantage with actives was to cut down on number of boxes and take away the need to system match. So having a variety of inputs and a volume control seems preferable.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
AlmaataKZ said:
250gbp each which keeps it is the sane territory

agree re dsp vs lack of digital inputs. A straight simple monitor in domestically acceptable finish.
Where did you find the price, incidentally? Nowhere seems to be stocking them yet.

I spoke with the dealer at the show. They are not shipping yet and listening was not allowed.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Maybe, but the time you add in the cost of the pre, you've often doubled the price. Surely the Nubert/Quad approach of having a stack of inputs including USB, remote volume and, in the case of Nubert, DSP is a better approach.

two different but perfectly valid approaches.

daveh75

AlmaataKZ said:
daveh75 said:
AlmaataKZ said:
250gbp each which keeps it is the sane territory

agree re dsp vs lack of digital inputs. A straight simple monitor in domestically acceptable finish.
Where did you find the price, incidentally? Nowhere seems to be stocking them yet.

I spoke with the dealer at the show. They are not shipping yet and listening was not allowed.

OK, ta.

Just noticed Computers Unlimited are the distributors for Canton, so maybe Clare has info on when they're shipping etc

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No news yet: we didn't expect Canton to bring them - if we had we would have demoed them!

We are bringing the show pair back from Bristol: am keen to have a play :)

i'll report back on any firm UK plans....

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

I like the look of those Elac bass drivers. 8) I wonder what advantages/disadvantages that shape has?

12703381325_ab552eedca_zps55225a95.jpg

12703545213_18ba337d7b_o_zps54f1098e.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Then it lacks RCA inputs and volume control, so it isn't suitable for HiFi unless you buy a preamp. Unless the inputs and volume controls are hiding somewhere? AV, yes, but they look a bit small.

Like with most active speakers you just use cables with the correct connectors and plug them into any of the thousands of hifi products which have a pre-amp built in. It's not complicated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I think the Cantons look pretty and useful - would work well with the Stream Magic as a preamp via XLR if digital inputs were all you needed. More attractive than the Quads anyway...

we're looking forward to seeing how the Cantons work as possible desktop companions to our A&K players (new AK240 has balanced output...)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
ATC is about to release the new version of 20ASL Pro (small active).

https://www.facebook.com/205039919540608/photos/a.266509536726979.70610.205039919540608/728074283903833/?type=1&theater

Mind, in ATC terms, "about to release" can mean a year. Or two.

iancass

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread! Is there a go to pair of Actives for home use for less than a 1000gbp which has built in Dac? I have dabbled in this before and spoke to manufacturer who sells online but would like to listen to some products before hand but don't of many outlets in the north west that I know of.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Balderdash said:
Anybody know about these?

Regards.

studiospares.gif

Product Code: 249210
Studiospare SN10A Active Monitors
An active version of our highly popular SN10 monitors, inspired by the legendary Yamaha NS-10's...

£182.50 + VAT

(Euro-€226.30)
icon_multibuy.gif

If these speakers are really based on the NS10, then avoid. They were one of the original studio 'grotboxes' and are truly awful in all respects.

Far better proper active options available, Studiospares have a fair few.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
iancass said:
Interesting thread! Is there a go to pair of Actives for home use for less than a 1000gbp which has built in Dac? I have dabbled in this before and spoke to manufacturer who sells online but would like to listen to some products before hand but don't of many outlets in the north west that I know of.

Quad 9AS

Out soon ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
iancass said:

For practical reasons, very few studio active monitors at this level include a dac, it's not the price particularly, just the way they are used.

One of the best I have tried is the Adam Artist5, though it is not cheap when compared to the A7x which are only a little more expensive. If you can bear to use an external dac the choice of monitor at this price is extremely wide.

Similarly there are few hi-fi companies that offer a serious speaker in this price range, the new Quad is still not available and many of the other manufactures products have a distinctly 'lifestyle' feel about them.

Of course you could pay a little more (£1250) and get a pair of ADMs, but I should not be telling you this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts