The active speakers club

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
AlmaataKZ said:
http://www.elac.com/en/products/AIR_X/AIR_X_403/

Active Elacs with Kleer wireless option. First public demo will be at the Bristol show.

IMO there's no point in investing in Kleer powered systems now that Wisa has emerged. the main benefit of Wisa standard over Kleer is that it can handle up to 8 channels in 24/96. I'm hoping 2014 will see arrival of a few Wisa pwered systems to the market. wireless HT set-up anyone? so far we've only got B&O Beo 17,18,19.

Not heard of it before, but having read about it now, think it is very interesting!

I think this standard may revolutionize what hi-fi and HT is at the moment. this might be the end of stacks of separates systems and passive speakers, provided people would prefer having their hi-fi reduced to a wireless transmiter (possibly with a DLNA renderer already on board or other digital inputs) and a few wireless active speakers.

for instance Sharp is soon to release its universal player/ streamer with WISA transmitter already on board. http://wisaassociation.tumblr.com/ all you need to add then is a set of WISA enabled speakers to have a true hi quality home theater. no HT processors, no metres of speaker cable lying around. B&O goes even a step further by implementing the transmiter and disc player into their TVs.

in all fairness Kleer could have been just that to 2 channel stereo if it was released some 15 years ago when few people even thought about hi-rez music.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
The new EPOS K Series seems really interesting (and affordable - at least in passive format, as pricing on the active module is TBD).

epos_0.jpg

K Series Tower 1250 USD per pair

K Series Monitor 795 USD per pair

The speakers use a modular design that lets you convert them to fully active products with USB and Bluetooth compatibility.

The crossover/input rear panel of the $1,250/pair tower speaker can be removed so that an amplifier/digital audio module can be installed. You just pluck the speaker wires out of the passive crossover, reconnect them to the active module, then screw the active module into the back of the speaker.

The module includes USB, coaxial digital, optical digital and analog audio inputs as well as Bluetooth capability. THus, the speaker can connect directly to your phone, tablet or computer without the need for an amp or preamp or digital-to-analog converter. You assign each speaker to the left or right channel.

Included in each module are three amps and an analog line-level crossover, so each of the speaker's three drivers gets its own amp and its own custom-tailored signal.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/epos-creates-phone-friendly-k-series-tower-speaker

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
One more K Series pic. This time the K-1 Monitor

011314-Epos-600.jpg

And a price correction. Though the other article lists the price of the K2 tower as 1250 USD, Stereophile has it listed as 1750 USD (which I believe is the correct price). Based on the pricing, I'm assuming these passive/actives will replace the Epic series.

daveh75

Missed these when they were announced last summer and dont think they've been mentioned yet,

M3_6_web_hero_new.jpg

Active 3 ways from M-Audio in two sizes

M3-6 - 3 class A/B amps totalling 160W, 6" bass, 5" mid and 1" tweeter (concentric) drivers (couldn't find price/availability)

M3-8 - 3 class A/B amps totalling 220W, 8" bass, 5" mid and 1" tweeter (concentric) drivers around £500 a pair

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
These have been mentioned elsewhere and are, well, a bit German.

nupro_a-100.jpg

These are the new Nubert A-100, bottom of a range of three models starting at just €285 each.

Fully active, even the smallest model has 60+60 watts, they all have onboard DSP taking care of the crossover and EQ, multiple digital (usb, SPDIF RCA and Toslink) and analogue inputs.

Also remote control and rather nice gloss black or white finish. if they sound as good as they look............

Available direct, http://www.nubert.de/nupro-serie-neu/420/

I really like the look of those. If I'm not mistaken they are 'direct digital' (like some NAD, WADIA and Nuforce amps) which makes them even more interesting.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This modular active dsp hifi and av system looks interesting although they are not available until August .

There is more info if you click on each unit .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/dg/

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
This modular active dsp hifi and av system looks interesting although they are not available until August .

There is more info if you click on each unit .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/dg/

Do they present the #4 with BeoLab3s (Electro's link)? So the system is compatible with other actives?

imagejpeg

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Canton has a new small active, the AM5. I posted some info and pics in the Bristol show thread. Very good price.

I wonder if larger models will be released too, as Canton is a big player.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Canton has a new small active, the AM5. I posted some info and pics in the Bristol show thread. Very good price.

Which is........?

The Germans seem way ahead of the game when it comes to active speakers, very competitive.

The AM5 looks to have every thing you need apart from digital ins, for a system that has DSP that is odd......... :?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No, in terms of connectivity and amplification it has nothing you need. Look at the Nuberts and new Quads, much better specs, cutting edge stuff. These are bog standard studio monitors. I bet thet don't even have a remote. Only the newish DM5s have poorer specs.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
AlmaataKZ said:

Which is........?

The Germans seem way ahead of the game when it comes to active speakers, very competitive.

The AM5 looks to have every thing you need apart from digital ins, for a system that has DSP that is odd......... :?

250gbp each which keeps it is the sane territory

agree re dsp vs lack of digital inputs. A straight simple monitor in domestically acceptable finish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts