The active speakers club

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
The Quads are not to your liking - well that's your 'taste'. If that was meant as a cheap shot the AVIs are no lookers themselves.

This is a constructive thread about active speakers. Lets keep it that way please.

If anyone wants to argue about AVI do it in another thread rather than messing up this one. Thank you.

p.s. This isn't a dig at you manicm. I'm just trying to *** it in the bud before anything starts. :)

manicm

Well Fr0g's not a very mature poster is he? If no-one agrees with him he goes on the offensive - check his comment on WHF's review of the PS4 - 'full of nonsense' - because they didn't rate it too highly as a blu-ray player even if it actually may be quite decent. Those last speaker pics he posted are mine but of a different colour.

Can't some just grow up a little?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Well Fr0g's not a very mature poster is he? If no-one agrees with him he goes on the offensive - check his comment on WHF's review of the PS4 - 'full of nonsense' - because they didn't rate it too highly as a blu-ray player even if it actually may be quite decent. Those last speaker pics he posted are mine but of a different colour.

Can't some just grow up a little?

funny little man.:)

And no, The Avis are pretty non-descript. A bit less so than the shrill sounding MA speakers. The ones above with a volume display are modern and have a talking point in the display. The Quads are ugly.

It is only opinion, but don't slag off something for being nondesctipt when you own a piece of grey flannel.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Quads look great to me, and I'm potentially very interested in them. Just the right combination of spec and price to give me exactly what I need to move to an active set-up.

While I don't like the looks, I imagine they could be quite nice.Good connection options is a major plus.Pity (imo) about the fins

manicm

fr0g said:
funny little man.:)

And no, The Avis are pretty non-descript. A bit less so than the shrill sounding MA speakers. The ones above with a volume display are modern and have a talking point in the display. The Quads are ugly.

It is only opinion, but don't slag off something for being nondesctipt when you own a piece of grey flannel.

The shrill sounding MA speakers, I have them but you're talking from experience are you? Spoken like a true idiot.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Quads look great to me, and I'm potentially very interested in them. Just the right combination of spec and price to give me exactly what I need to move to an active set-up.

Wow thinking of upgrading already, I'm amazed that some people just can't keep a system for more than a year or so.

T

the record spot

manicm said:
The shrill sounding MA speakers, I have them but you're talking from experience are you? Spoken like a true idiot.

I see the desire to grow up lasted a while then!

Personally, I thought the Quads looked excellent and all the better that Peter Comeau took the time to drop in briefly as well. Some of the speakers he produced for World Designs a few years back were mouth watering.

I have to say that the last few years have seen some rather uninspiring looking speakers. Big boxy standmounts that do nothing for my personal tastes. I love the DC4 that I use currently. Both from a performance and image perspective. I saw the bigger DC6 however, which is the same design but maybe 2.5 times the physical size and found the appeal fell off a ledge. It sat beside another big box the brand of which I can't recall, and my thoughts were the same.

As for the many affordable actives in here of late, I think the choice is excellent. Happy with my current approach though. In fact, I might be interested in finding some speakers without a crossover built in and utilise the active one in the Onkyo. That might be fun.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
BigH said:
Wow thinking of upgrading already, I'm amazed that some people just can't keep a system for more than a year or so.

But that's why I think MatthewPiano's insights are so invaluable on these forums :) He's great :)

Yes I agree, not having a go, just a bit surprised that after he has found soem speakers he likes that he thinking of changing them already.

manicm

the record spot said:
manicm said:

I see the desire to grow up lasted a while then!

Personally, I thought the Quads looked excellent and all the better that Peter Comeau took the time to drop in briefly as well. Some of the speakers he produced for World Designs a few years back were mouth watering.

I have to say that the last few years have seen some rather uninspiring looking speakers. Big boxy standmounts that do nothing for my personal tastes. I love the DC4 that I use currently. Both from a performance and image perspective. I saw the bigger DC6 however, which is the same design but maybe 2.5 times the physical size and found the appeal fell off a ledge. It sat beside another big box the brand of which I can't recall, and my thoughts were the same.

As for the many affordable actives in here of late, I think the choice is excellent. Happy with my current approach though. In fact, I might be interested in finding some speakers without a crossover built in and utilise the active one in the Onkyo. That might be fun.

I'm willing to raise the white flag with fr0g, as long insult-hurling is stopped (it was not me who started).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:

That sounds like a fun project. If ever I get enough spare time and money I'd like to build a pair of active speakers using an AV receivers multiple amplifiers to power each driver.

There are so many options for DIY active crossovers too. You can buy adjustable active crossovers, you can hook it up to a computer and use software and some AV receivers such as your Onkyo even have active crossover functions built in.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
10SuULV.jpg

Got these on Friday, I might put up a review in a few days (I'm still waiting for my Matrix Mini-i Pro and SONOS Connect).

Honestly, most people wouldn't belive the sound that gets out of these tiny floorstanders (with or without subwoofer).

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
EvPa said:
10SuULV.jpg

Got these on Friday, I might put up a review in a few days (I'm still waiting for my Matrix Mini-i Pro and SONOS Connect).

Honestly, most people wouldn't belive the sound that gets out of these tiny floorstanders (with or without subwoofer).

Adam Audio Artist 6? Great speakers they are indeed!

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Adam Audio Artist 6? Great speakers they are indeed!

Yep, ADAM Audio ARTist 6 and Sub7 (exactly the same thing as the ARTist Sub but cheaper, without the fancy paint finishes).

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
http://www.elac.com/en/products/AIR_X/AIR_X_403/

Active Elacs with Kleer wireless option. First public demo will be at the Bristol show.

IMO there's no point in investing in Kleer powered systems now that Wisa has emerged. the main benefit of Wisa standard over Kleer is that it can handle up to 8 channels in 24/96. I'm hoping 2014 will see arrival of a few Wisa pwered systems to the market. wireless HT set-up anyone? so far we've only got B&O Beo 17,18,19.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
AlmaataKZ said:
http://www.elac.com/en/products/AIR_X/AIR_X_403/

Active Elacs with Kleer wireless option. First public demo will be at the Bristol show.

IMO there's no point in investing in Kleer powered systems now that Wisa has emerged. the main benefit of Wisa standard over Kleer is that it can handle up to 8 channels in 24/96. I'm hoping 2014 will see arrival of a few Wisa pwered systems to the market. wireless HT set-up anyone? so far we've only got B&O Beo 17,18,19.

Not heard of it before, but having read about it now, think it is very interesting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts