Nice mains cables

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol..... Didn't want to get involved, but.....

Pretty long post that, but the originator trys to explain his case.

So many different technologies go in to the various cables.....why?

Everyone designed to do the samething.

Does anyone of you try to address what's said?

No......

Only conclusion if you have a spare 50quid in your pocket try an 'upgrade' see how you fair and let your findings be known.

You fair? Sounds like fun.

It doesn't matter what a mains cable is made of, as long as it has a low resistance and connects the mains properly.

Again with the 'ifs'

Either they sound the same or they don't.

If it sounds better or worse is neither here nor there.

Make up your mind.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

No surprise, you never do.

Simple really no ifs no buts or maybes. All wire either sound the same or they don't.

If they are the same then no benefit can be gained from them good or bad.

If for what ever reason they are not the same and differ in any way- then your argument is dead.

You decide.

They all sound the same. Completely silent. As you should be.

We are talking in use as conductors and you know it......what, still struggling to understand?

Yes you is.

Talking yourself into a corner again?

Yes, you win. Mains leads can be made to turn a cheap mini system into a high end marvel.

Bingo!

I looked at your card. Figure 8 was never announced.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
For me a life entirely dependent on empirical data and pure science would be quite dull.

I think that the flippant dismissal of psychoacoustics in the context of the cable argument as "our ears playing tricks on us" is a mistake. It is denying the importance of sensory perception in how we "hear" our music. It is denying half of the whole. If a mains cable is shiny and beautiful and that effects our perception enough to make us decode the sound as "better" then that cable has definately made a difference.

?

I tell you Gazzip I put my hand in my pocket and tried an 'upgrade' mains cable.

The difference was audible everybody here would have heard it.....it was not for the better either.

50quid experiment.

They make a difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
stop-fighting-cat.jpg

20130915-190532.jpg

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
Gazzip said:
For me a life entirely dependent on empirical data and pure science would be quite dull.

I think that the flippant dismissal of psychoacoustics in the context of the cable argument as "our ears playing tricks on us" is a mistake. It is denying the importance of sensory perception in how we "hear" our music. It is denying half of the whole. If a mains cable is shiny and beautiful and that effects our perception enough to make us decode the sound as "better" then that cable has definately made a difference.

I tell you Gazzip I put my hand in my pocket and tried an 'upgrade' mains cable.

The difference was audible everybody here would have heard it.....it was not for the better either.

50quid experiment.

They make a difference.

Well done. You can hear differences that aren't there.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Gazzip said:

I think that the flippant dismissal of psychoacoustics in the context of the cable argument as "our ears playing tricks on us" is a mistake. It is denying the importance of sensory perception in how we "hear" our music. It is denying half of the whole. If a mains cable is shiny and beautiful and that effects our perception enough to make us decode the sound as "better" then that cable has definately made a difference.

?

?

50quid experiment.

They make a difference.

Well done. You can hear differences that aren't there. 

You are not qualified to say one way or the other. Again talking out of the side of your head ( if you don't understand.....it's not a problem)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
"I refuse to prove that my cables will make your system sound better", says the snake oil vendor, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, you will hear nothing."

Why would a snake oil salesman tell you about his cables? Odd sales tactic? He should stick to telling you how good his snake oil is.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Now I am not a cable skeptic. I am more agnostic than atheist.

However I have read that Caelin Gabriel interview before and at the risk of actually agreeing with TrevC I have to say it appears to be complete and utter nonsense. If your mains lead is too short it may not provide enough of a buffer???! What?! Cables don't buffer.

Also note that the tone of the interview is all about disproving urban myths, not about proving the science of his products. Large pinch of salt required I think.

Yep absolute pseudo-scientific nonsense. I am a sceptic and this type of stuff reinforces my scepticism.

Chris

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all, i'm no scientist, a few have called me stupid on here for my mains purchases,in my time i have tried nordost i've even had a full loom of the shunyata mains cable ,and no i'm not bragging either i have found that mains cables and i/c have sometimes made small or some quite large differences to the sound ,i've been able to do direct comparisons between cables,trying them in different components and found for example when putting a silver cable in my dac, instead of the copper cable, my system sounds very shouty and i experienced the same for my amp,as i've said in my earlier post when i had my arcam dvd fmj 139 i wasn't expecting such an improvement in the sound ,i do think that cables work better on some componets than others or, work better or worse in some areas ,one of my friends had a vallhala cable which i tried in my mains block and we both agreed that we could not hear a difference over a £150 cable, but then tried the nordost in the cd player and there was big improvement in musicality ,i think too much goes into science of trying to understand how they work, not that there is anything wrong with that, but when we buy our hifi , we buy because we like the way that it sounds not how many times the cd's spin in our cd players ,as an enthusiast my goal is to get as close to music as possiable and make my enjoyment of listening to music even greater.david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its also nothing to do with snake oil sales man which has come up a lot in this thread .

I have tried cables with no sales attached i.e borrowed them from friends and then gone on a hunt to get some, noone has sold that to me I have tried, listened, heard, liked a lot and then bought.

Who cares if it can or it cant - if it does to me then its worth my money. Yet to hear a system sound properly good on crap cable, best I have heard is ok on it

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If We were served a Nandos at the Fat Duck in Bray we would think it AMAZING!

If we were served Cava out of a Krug champagne bottle it would taste EXTRAORDINARY!

Put my daughter's paint daubing in to a fancy frame and hang it in Tate modern it would be VISIONARY!

This is just life! Presentation is everything in this business as much as it is in any. The trick is accepting the fact that we are being manipulated, embracing it, and moving on.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have just discovered some research which proves that mains cables make a difference. This study will put an end to cable arguments forever!

I don't really understand it all but it has lots of sciencey sounding stuff so it must be right.

We have derived quantum gravity bounds on the number of angels that can dance on the tip of a needle as a function of the mass of the angels. The maximal number of angels -- 8.6766*10exp49 -- is achieved near the critical mass mcrit>1/kD 3.8807*10-34 kg, corresponding to the transition from the information-limited to the mass-limited regime. It is interesting to note that this is of the same order of magnitude as the Schewe bound.

Angel physics has until now mainly employed theological methods, but as this paper shows, modern information physics, quantum gravity and relativity theory provide powerful tools for exploring the dynamics and statics of angels.

These bounds are only upper bounds, and do not take into account the effects of a finite number of available angels, degeneracy pressures if angels obey the Pauli exclusion principle as suggested by Aquinas, or the theo-psychology of the angels themselves. The exact dance dynamics also clearly play a major role. A full relativistic treatment of the dance appears as a promising avenue for further tightening of the bounds.
angels-7-3_zpseg60comk.jpg

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm

TRENDING THREADS