Recommendations for mains cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
unsleepable said:
CnoEvil said:
I have a variety of Clearer Audio cables and would recommend Copper Line / Alpha + / Alpha.

I have found it better to put a more expensive cable on the Amp. Give Darren a call and see what he says (I have found him fair and reasonable, without any hard sell).....you can always return them within 60 days if not happy.

Thanks for the feedback. The only Clearer Audio cable that I have found with Schuko plugs is the Copper-line Alpha. Would you recommend this one for an amp?

I have always phoned Darren and found him most helpful, so I suspect he will make up whatever you want.....but if you go bespoke, make sure the 60 day option still applies.

FWIW. The Alpha should be fine.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried to hold myself back, but it was no good. So much for my new year resolutions.

The average power consumption of an amplifier is very low unless you have class A room heater. A mains cable supplies the average power, not peak (that is the power supply's job).

So, unless you are in the professional PA business or plan to arc weld with the output, then a basic kettle lead is fine to cover the input power requirements of your amp.

Now, if you want the lead to look good, then that is another matter - but please don't assume that a fancy cable will change the quality of the output of your equipment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
I tried to hold myself back, but it was no good. So much for my new year resolutions.

The average power consumption of an amplifier is very low unless you have class A room heater. A mains cable supplies the average power, not peak (that is the power supply's job).

So, unless you are in the professional PA business or plan to arc weld with the output, then a basic kettle lead is fine to cover the input power requirements of your amp.

Now, if you want the lead to look good, then that is another matter - but please don't assume that a fancy cable will change the quality of the output of your equipment.

I don't think the OP is expecting any improvement, sound wise.

I think he has a plan, buy some relatively expensive bespoke cables now so that he can make a few extra pennies selling on his equipment complete with the original (kettle) leads.

Makes perfect sense to me. You also get some 'bling' that you can appreciate every time you look down the back of your equipment rack......*good*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Dave,

I got it that the OP didn't have any expectation of 'blacker blacks', but then as always the thread wandered off into 'what was best for an amplifier' territory.

Best to *** these things in the bud, if at all possible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:

Actually it's best to make up one's own mind, if at all possible...especially when the item can be tried and sent back for a refund, if necessary.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
andyjm said:

Actually it's best to make up one's own mind, if at all possible...especially when the item can be tried and sent back for a refund, if necessary.

***....!

Quite right.

I'm all for censorship and a more fascist forum. Let the more knowledgeable amoungst us write the Gospel and we shall bow to their superior knowledge. Freedom of thought and expression are nothing but trouble, and certainly not for the ignorant, who can't handle the truth! *blum3*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
giphy.gif

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
andyjm said:

***....!

Quite right.

I'm all for censorship and a more fascist forum. Let the more knowledgeable amoungst us write the Gospel and we shall bow to their superior knowledge. Freedom of thought and expression are nothing but trouble, and certainly not for the ignorant, who can't handle the truth! *blum3*

You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. It's a fact that mains leads can have no effect on sound quality. That said, why on earth do you want to look at your mains leads anyway? Hide them away! :O)

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

I think he has a plan, buy some relatively expensive bespoke cables now so that he can make a few extra pennies selling on his equipment complete with the original (kettle) leads.

Makes perfect sense to me. You also get some 'bling' that you can appreciate every time you look down the back of your equipment rack......*good*

I am glad to see that you have been able to grasp the way I've wrapped my mind around the financials of the matter and convinced myself that I need beautiful cables. I trust that a bit of fetichism is not really frowned upon in a hi-fi forum, right?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
Dave,

I got it that the OP didn't have any expectation of 'blacker blacks', but then as always the thread wandered off into 'what was best for an amplifier' territory.

You just sounded there like the "cable police", or the "cable inquisition", or something.

It's nothing short of irony that here the fundamentalists are the skeptics, rather than the believers.

TrevC

unsleepable said:
andyjm said:
Dave,

[/quote

You just sounded there like the "cable police", or the "cable inquisition", or something.

It's nothing short of irony that here the fundamentalists are the skeptics, rather than the believers.

If a mathematician insists that 2+2=4 is that being a fundamentalist, or simply being correct?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
If a mathematician insists that 2+2=4 is that being a fundamentalist, or simply being correct?

Fundamentalism is not necessarily about with being right or wrong. Please, look up the word in the dictionary, and then try again to come up with a witty comment.

TrevC

unsleepable said:
TrevC said:

Fundamentalism is not necessarily about with being right or wrong. Please, look up the word in the dictionary, and then try again to come up with a witty comment.

It's a religious thing, so not really applilcable. :O)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
unsleepable said:
I am glad to see that you have been able to grasp the way I've wrapped my mind around the financials of the matter and convinced myself that I need beautiful cables.

First world problems

unsleepable said:
I trust that a bit of fetichism is not really frowned upon in a hi-fi forum, right?

Nothing wrong with a bit of fetichism. ;)

Personally I don't really understand why people would want to look at bling cables but if that's what floats your boat then why not. Enjoy. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
davedotco said:

I am glad to see that you have been able to grasp the way I've wrapped my mind around the financials of the matter and convinced myself that I need beautiful cables. I trust that a bit of fetichism is not really frowned upon in a hi-fi forum, right?

Absolutely, I want a Devialet for much the same reason, actually just an empty case will do.........

Seriously though, pride of ownership is a serious thing, when I still had my vinyl system, I used to love showing off the SME20a/Red Signature, or in a previous system the Sonus Faber Electa Amator.

My final system even had custom mains leads, see we are all mad.......*crazy*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Only if WHF censors us and enforces their beliefs and ideas upon us as a central authority figure, this forum can be called fascist. The fact we are simple folks brawling over ideas with equal oportunity to voice our opinions (and without mods budding in) is a forum utopia IMO.

No one is stopping you to say your counter arguments. You choose throwing sarcastic tantrums and passive aggressive insults instead, and thats fine. It's your style. You go girl!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No one is stopping you to say your counter arguments. You choose throwing sarcastic tantrums and passive aggressive insults instead, and thats fine. It's your style. You go girl!

A tantrum is an uncontrolled outburst of anger....my comments were measured and quite calm.

We all have our styles, some use sarcasm, some veiled insults, some use it as a platform to show off how smart they are, some boost their egos by putting others down and thankfully, some are on here to help.

All manner of male egos flourish in the anonymity of cyberspace.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Calling people fascist because they disagree with you about home appliances, not in the 'just here to help' category.

Way over the top dude.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Calling people fascist because they disagree with you about home appliances, not in the 'just here to help' category.

Way over the top dude.

If you re-read my post, you will see that I didn't call anyone fascist.....the potential tone of a forum as a whole, isn't a person.

After nearly 13k posts, most people that have been on here for a while have a good idea about my agenda and have made their own judgement on the tone I choose to take....and I can live with that.

BTW. Happy New Year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts