Audio USB Cable Recommendations for Mac & Adapter Question

shr00mslayer

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi - I am going to use my Mac Pro (USB C) as source for my Geshelli J2 Dac. The Geshelli has a type B USB input while my Mac output is type C USB. I like what I've heard about Supra USB cables but they don't seem to make a C to B variant. They do have A to B.

If I use an adapter from C-A for the A-B cable, will that compromise transmission quality?

Am I better off finding a cable that is produced as C-B?

Any cable recommendations appreciated. I don't need more than a 3ft cable would love to keep price < $150 USD.

Thanks!

shr00mslayer

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. So far no one has advocated for a high end cable for purposes of SQ. I was not expecting this. Anyone care to opine re: merits of low vs high end? Has anyone A/B tested and come to conclusions?

thanks!

Friesiansam

Thanks for the comments. So far no one has advocated for a high end cable for purposes of SQ. I was not expecting this. Anyone care to opine re: merits of low vs high end? Has anyone A/B tested and come to conclusions?

thanks!
Any USB cable that meets the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) standards, will do the job of carrying the ones and zeros without errors and, any cable meeting the spec for USB 2.0 or later, will have the bandwidth for even the highest of hi-res music. An over-priced 'audio spec' cable, won't do the job any better, don't believe manufacturer/seller hype.

EDIT: I should add that I did pay 20 quid for a cable with gold plated contacts, so it can be plugged-in and left, not require unplugging and plugging back in from time to time. I'm not suggesting you would be daft enough to pay £1599 for a 1 metre cable but, whatever, the extravagant claims made for cables like this, are just nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

Any USB cable that meets the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) standards, will do the job of carrying the ones and zeros without errors and, any cable meeting the spec for USB 2.0 or later, will have the bandwidth for even the highest of hi-res music. An over-priced 'audio spec' cable, won't do the job any better, don't believe manufacturer/seller hype.

EDIT: I should add that I did pay 20 quid for a cable with gold plated contacts, so it can be plugged-in and left, not require unplugging and plugging back in from time to time. I'm not suggesting you would be daft enough to pay £1599 for a 1 metre cable but, whatever, the extravagant claims made for cables like this, are just nonsense.

Beautiful cable! It's the HIFI equivalent of a Rolex watch and won't make a difference to the data.

Reactions: Friesiansam

thanks!
I’m afraid I no longer use a USB cable for my Hifi, and did so only briefly from an old MacBook to my Marantz CD player to access the DAC. However, this is a Hifi brand at not too high a price, but most importantly you can return it within 60 days if it doesn’t outperform an Amazon Basics, or whatever you choose. I bought the USB-B to B version (I think) in a longer length, and it’s nicely made.

Last edited:

Dom

I personally see the audiophile USB cables as a rip-off, no improvement what so ever. I use an optical cable from my computer to my DAC.

Why not try this - Cubilux USB Type C to TOSLINK Optical Audio Adapter
31dNG2XYnrL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Last edited:
No but you are advocating it as some kind of selling point...
I don't believe he is, he simply mentioned one at a higher price bracket that you could return if you found it made no difference over a basic cable.....
To my mind much of the price difference goes on method of construction and thus longevity rather than any perceived audio difference.

SteveR750

thanks!
I've compared some mid priced phono and toslink cables to amazon specials. Any differences were so small they were probably make believe, so I use the cheaper cables. So long as they are compliant to the appropriate standards they've been fine for me.

Reactions: Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts