cables and the foo fighters brigade ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'll probably get some stick for the following but hey ...

So you've saved for a couple of years and have been eating nothing but canned beans. Finally that new shiney, lovely system sits comfortably in your living room.

Are you going to buy the cheap looking copper speaker cable (and interconnects) you can buy everywhere and which, to some, is as good as a thousand pounds worth of wire or will you spend a little more for the admittedly often obscure benefits of 'better' materials?

The way I look at it is that after spending £'s on a system which pleases my ears as well as eyes (we shop and probably listen with both) I dont want £2/meter cabling hanging out the back of my system, regardless of measurements. I will know 'its there' and the question of whether a cable which is featured in full spread pages of magazines really would improve anything would probably nag me for a long time.

Apart from looks (and lets face it, most of us have 'some' exposed cables even with the most elaborate channeling/hiding as I can attest with my cyrus and matching hark rack with careful cabling) I want something that has had a little bit of thought going into it, be that dielectrics, conductors, colour or even the companies accountants view regarding profits. Sorry but Maplins 'best' just will not do (I haven't looked at their web site, some bright spark will probably point out that they now stock Nordost or similar ...).

Bottom line, nothing wrong imho with spending a little bit on cables even if the benefits are more perceived than proven. After all, the have been quite a few drug tests where placebo effects have given thought to the power of mind ... .

My advise; Don't go overboard but spend commensurate with the rest of your system and peace of mind will probably set in more easily.

regards

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My advise by the basic cables and spend the money saved on some music, your family or give it to charity. Expensive cables are a snake oil nonsense touted by the terminally thick.

T

the record spot

My peace of mind is just fine with my cheap speaker cable hanging out the back. Seeing as it's doing a better job than the Audioquest Type IV that preceded it, I am more than happy that it's here.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
My peace of mind is just fine with my cheap speaker cable hanging out the back. Seeing as it's doing a better job than the Audioquest Type IV that preceded it, I am more than happy that it's here.

Ah, so cables do make a difference ... :)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
the record spot said:

No they don't if you check the 'Popcorn and snake oil' thread. The proper way to test changes to the system is when you don't know what is attached when the changes have been made. Any less and you've opened yourself up to bias and that's something you cannot disprove.

If cables make a real difference I'd expect someone to be able to tell the difference 100% of the time while blindfolded. I bet my house no one can if they repeated the test 100 times.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
drummerman said:
the record spot said:

No they don't if you check the 'Popcorn and snake oil' thread. The proper way to test changes to the system is when you don't know what is attached when the changes have been made. Any less and you've opened yourself up to bias and that's something you cannot disprove.

If cables make a real difference I'd expect someone to be able to tell the difference 100% of the time while blindfolded. I bet my house no one can if they repeated the test 100 times.

I tend not to blindfold myself when I listen to music

regards

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Jota180 said:
drummerman said:
the record spot said:

I tend not to blindfold myself when I listen to music

regards

No one is talking about listening to music for enjoyment here. Were talking about AB testing two components, a cheap cable and an expensive one to see if there's a difference in sound quality.

In order to remove from yourself any chance of subconscious bias when testing different components, you have to conduct the tests in a way so that you don't know which component is connected or no one, including yourself, should believe your conclusions.

Any fool knows this. The chaps at the Royal Society would piss on your chips laughing if you came to them and said this were true and look how I did my tests.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
FooFightersDC060511.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think the big advantage of blind testing is not attempting to produce results of statistical certainty, but simple in making it clear to enthusiasts just how strong expectation bias, placebo effect and the rest can be.

I think it is, whatever they say, pretty near certain that those (most prominently on other threads) who are 100% convinced that they can hear differences have never actually tried any kind of third person conducted blind test. If they had they would be far, far less confident.

I have some sympathies with DM's opening post. I generally like to choose and set up my system using what I consider to be best practice. There is a mix of practicalities and managing bias involved. There are some brands that I would not buy and I would not used the cheapest cables, I like decent speaker stands and try and keep my installation 'clean' and tidy.

If I proceed in this methodical manner then I do not fret about things not being right, I can just relax and emjoy the music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nothing wrong with tailor made, coordinated accessories, for the fashion concious.

Though to be on the safe side, I think i will submit any further plans to the forum's Approved Resident Science Experts

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

Being decent products I look forward to you also recommending/suggesting basic cables.

Btw, what cables are you using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm constantly recommending affordable cables....Linn Black / K20 off ebay or QED 79 strand, would be my usual choice.

Personally I have a mixture of Linn, Cardas, QED and generic install cables.

What cables have you tried in order to come to your conclusions?

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have spent a great deal on my system and I am very happy with my cheap cables. XLR interconnects from a proaudio shop £16, 2nd hand Atlas equator II £28 and power leads £20 which is about 3% of my total system cost. Any advantages that I might or might not have heard using expensive cables is completely outweighed by the benefits of better amplification and speakers.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
I'll probably get some stick for the following but hey ...

So you've saved for a couple of years and have been eating nothing but canned beans. Finally that new shiney, lovely system sits comfortably in your living room.

Are you going to buy the cheap looking copper speaker cable (and interconnects) you can buy everywhere and which, to some, is as good as a thousand pounds worth of wire or will you spend a little more for the admittedly often obscure benefits of 'better' materials?

The way I look at it is that after spending £'s on a system which pleases my ears as well as eyes (we shop and probably listen with both) I dont want £2/meter cabling hanging out the back of my system, regardless of measurements. I will know 'its there' and the question of whether a cable which is featured in full spread pages of magazines really would improve anything would probably nag me for a long time.

Apart from looks (and lets face it, most of us have 'some' exposed cables even with the most elaborate channeling/hiding as I can attest with my cyrus and matching hark rack with careful cabling) I want something that has had a little bit of thought going into it, be that dielectrics, conductors, colour or even the companies accountants view regarding profits. Sorry but Maplins 'best' just will not do (I haven't looked at their web site, some bright spark will probably point out that they now stock Nordost or similar ...).

Bottom line, nothing wrong imho with spending a little bit on cables even if the benefits are more perceived than proven. After all, the have been quite a few drug tests where placebo effects have given thought to the power of mind ... .

My advise; Don't go overboard but spend commensurate with the rest of your system and peace of mind will probably set in more easily.

regards

I think this is just about right. If the cost isn't material to you then a little bit of insurance money spent on cables doesn't hurt.

Chris

Hi CnE

Thanks for your reply.

Let's just say that the best way for me to address your question is that i don't need to share my preference with anyone as it's not exactly going to give a richer and sweeter tone from the till and therefore not aid in making the bank balance healthier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts