What speaker cables?

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
I've just bought a used Denon PM600ne and some ex-demo Triangle Borea BR03 speakers as an upgrade from my CA A1 amp and Mordaunt M20 speakers. I am currently using Amazon Basics speaker cables but from what I've read here I would definitely benefit from better cables with this set up.
What would be an appropriate standard of cable for this set up? My speakers are 2.5m apart and would need 3m and 4m lengths.

AJM1981

I've just bought a used Denon PM600ne and some ex-demo Triangle Borea BR03 speakers as an upgrade from my CA A1 amp and Mordaunt M20 speakers. I am currently using Amazon Basics speaker cables but from what I've read here I would definitely benefit from better cables with this set up.
What would be an appropriate standard of cable for this set up? My speakers are 2.5m apart and would need 3m and 4m lengths.
If it connects it's fine. A Roll of anything that will do at 10-20 euro

Or a pair of fancy shielded speaker cables (be aware that they make them for design purposes as well, because it looks better than a piece of random wire) 15-30 euro's.

I remember some results in testing various cables and someone mentioning "a random nail just measures as well" and that's basically what a speaker cable is. Signal / no signal.

Last edited:

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks all, I'm glad I don't need to spend a fortune. I was tempted by shielded cables because my set up is in my study, which has lots of electronics , both from my desks and the office. I'm not getting obsessed but I've put a foil cover over the main mass of cables (which I can't even think of sorting out myself), and kept my audio cables off the floor. Maybe a bit silly with what I was listening with but it kept it all out of the mess. I've even updated to shielded cat 7 patch cables everywhere. I'll be wearing a tin foil hat next!
I like the look of Futureshop Dom, and I'm glad I can have plugs fitted professionally. If you saw the wiring on my tractor you would know why.
Now I've just got to explain to my wife how I bought both an amp and speakers 'by mistake' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Al ears

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
But wait! Silver although slightly more expensive than Copper, is 7% more conductive of electricity than Copper. Therefore Silver will give a slightly higher fidelity. The drawbacks 1. WAF
2. It oxidizes quicker. 😂

Last edited:

Tinman1952

If it connects it's fine. A Roll of anything that will do at 10-20 euro

Or a pair of fancy shielded speaker cables (be aware that they make them for design purposes as well, because it looks better than a piece of random wire) 15-30 euro's.

I remember some results in testing various cables and someone mentioning "a random nail just measures as well" and that's basically what a speaker cable is. Signal / no signal.
Er.....impedance, capacitance...shielding? You think this does not matter...?🙄

bp_reid

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Changing from Richer Sounds cheapest, with bare end onto the binding post, to my current QED XT40 with pre-fitted banana plugs, clearly improved the sound in my system. However diminishing returns do seem to kick in pretty fast with cables and interconnects.

gasolin

micca speaker cable , if i could have bought it in europe for lets say $25-30 i would have bought it just to try it

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Changing from Richer Sounds cheapest, with bare end onto the binding post, to my current QED XT40 with pre-fitted banana plugs, clearly improved the sound in my system. However diminishing returns do seem to kick in pretty fast with cables and interconnects.
Yeah, I did exactly the same change to QED XT40 and heard naff all difference. But the only reason I changed was because I liked the sleeve colour, maybe that's why I didn't hear any change in sound quality.

Gray

Thanks all, I'm glad I don't need to spend a fortune.
Not so fast...
I like the look of Futureshop
...while your there then, you'll need a few of these:
Probably the most popular product on this forum.

Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

Er.....impedance, capacitance...shielding? You think this does not matter...?🙄

It would be resistance rather than impedance across the wire, both this and the capacitance would be negligible over 3m providing the wire was thick enough. The speakers are nominally 8ohms so in theory you could get away with 0.8mm, most people would say 1mm to be on the safe side, call it 1.3mm (16awg) and they should be fine. As for shielding, sometimes it makes it sound worse!

Reactions: The_Lecht_Rocks
Not so fast...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Not so fast...

I note they say the effect may be subjective!
Seriously, I couldn't hold my head up as a human being if I spent money like that. Disgraceful.

Reactions: Gray

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up buying QED 79 strand with plugs fitted by Compass Audio on eBay. £37, and that's that. I mucked the seller about when looking for coax leads and figured I owed him a sale, he was very good about it. I guess if I hadn't bought new cables I would be left wondering- I'll try both cables and report back, though I'm guessing my sixty-three year old ears won't hear the difference, Cosmetically better anyway- the Amazon stuff is clear and coppery (plated ali), and catches the eye. The QED 79 is thinner and more pliable, and black.

Reactions: nopiano

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
But wait! Silver although slightly more expensive than Copper, is 7% more conductive of electricity than Copper. Therefore Silver will give a slightly higher fidelity. The drawbacks 1. WAF
2. It oxidizes quicker. 😂
Pure silver wire is mega expensive John, think you might be looking at silver plated copper cables.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up buying QED 79 strand with plugs fitted by Compass Audio on eBay. £37, and that's that. I mucked the seller about when looking for coax leads and figured I owed him a sale, he was very good about it. I guess if I hadn't bought new cables I would be left wondering- I'll try both cables and report back, though I'm guessing my sixty-three year old ears won't hear the difference, Cosmetically better anyway- the Amazon stuff is clear and coppery (plated ali), and catches the eye. The QED 79 is thinner and more pliable, and black.
The QED was the first proper cable designed in the UK for Hifi, rather than twin mains cable or bell wire, and has justifiably stood the test of time. Great choice, especially if you like black (I prefer the white, hence they offer a choice!).

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
After my new (used) Denon 600 and BR03 turned up I resisted the temptation to plug everything in, and instead progressively tried my new additions. Plugging the amp into my old speakers sounded different, punchier perhaps. I listened for a day before hooking up the Triangles, then was blown away- unsurprisingly as my old speakers were under a hundred quid. The next day I switched to the QED 79 strand, and thought I could hear a difference. After another day's listening I switched back to my Amazon Basic cables and was staggered by how lifeless it sounded. For some reason I find comparisons more marked when you return to the subject.
Even if I couldn't hear the difference the £35 paid would be worth it for the cable's pliability. It arrived perfectly coiled, and once untied lost its memory really quickly. Considering it is only a little more than twice the price I would say I made a big mistake in buying basics, but I don't think I would be tempted into the diminishing returns of the audiophile interconnects.

TRENDING THREADS