What speaker cables?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
For anyone who might be interested- I just switched from Audioquest rocket 11 to chord Rumour x as I needed longer cables.

they sound identical for all I can tell. Unsurprisingly. But I do love how much thinner & easier to manage the chord cable is. And the factory fitted plugs look great.

Dom

Actually, I wasn't looking at the price I'm afraid. I bought twelve meters of QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire back in 2007 for about £130.
I've no idea how much that would cost now. I tried swapping it for Oxygen Free Copper Bi-Wires about 3 months ago because I read somewhere that silver might sound too bright. Copper actually sounds nicer than silver, less harsh, said this article I was foolish enough to take any notice of.
After trying the copper speaker cables for about the last three months, I've decided to put the silver cables back on to my system. I believe rightly or wrongly, that I can hear a difference and that silver does in fact sound better than copper to me.
Fact or fiction? Who knows.
If you can hear a difference, then that's what matters. I tend not to believe any reviews. You have to hear it for yourself.

As for silver sounding brighter - What have they been smoking.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Actually, I wasn't looking at the price I'm afraid. I bought twelve meters of QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire back in 2007 for about £130.
I've no idea how much that would cost now. I tried swapping it for Oxygen Free Copper Bi-Wires about 3 months ago because I read somewhere that silver might sound too bright. Copper actually sounds nicer than silver, less harsh, said this article I was foolish enough to take any notice of.
After trying the copper speaker cables for about the last three months, I've decided to put the silver cables back on to my system. I believe rightly or wrongly, that I can hear a difference and that silver does in fact sound better than copper to me.
Fact or fiction? Who knows.
What you bought all those years ago was SPOFC - silver-plated oxygen-free copper cable, and is still available today. A quick google has revealed that 1 metre of pure silver cable is around £750 metre, and that's for single, not bi-wire!
What you need is for me and Gray to pay you a visit, we'll conduct a proper blind-test for you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JDL and Al ears
What you bought all those years ago was SPOFC - silver-plated oxygen-free copper cable, and is still available today. A quick google has revealed that 1 metre of pure silver cable is around £750 metre, and that's for single, not bi-wire!
What you need is for me and Gray to pay you a visit, we'll conduct a proper blind-test for you :)
I wonder what idiots would spend that much?

Sorry but no your wrong it's not silver plated copper, it's pure silver. You can easily see when you look at the inner and strip it. There's no copper in it whatsoever, if there were, you'd easily see it. I'm not stupid enough to not tell the difference between copper and silver. Moreover, silver is not actually all that expensive as a metal.
They might have decided these days to charge ridiculous money for silver cable but I assure you that in 2007 when I bought it, it was not stupidly expensive.
No hard feelings though.
If you're talking about the QED Silver Anniversary it was never pure silver, as far as I am aware

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Sorry but no your wrong it's not silver plated copper, it's pure silver. You can easily see when you look at the inner and strip it. There's no copper in it whatsoever, if there were, you'd easily see it. I'm not stupid enough to not tell the difference between copper and silver. Moreover, silver is not actually all that expensive as a metal.
They might have decided these days to charge ridiculous money for silver cable but I assure you that in 2007 when I bought it, it was not stupidly expensive.
No hard feelings though.
No hard feelings at all John, I'm not trying to shoot you down, just offering advice(y)
It's been available for years and is still on sale now:
The only thing they've changed is it now has something called "X-Tube" technology, whatever that is. But it's still silver-plated copper (SPOFC).

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

No hard feelings at all John, I'm not trying to shoot you down, just offering advice(y)
The only thing they've changed is it now has something called "X-Tube" technology, whatever that is. But it's still silver-plated copper (SPOFC).
It's not silver anniversary xt.
If there was copper inside you'd see it yes?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

My mistake. Strange because when I cut and strip it, I can't see copper. Nevertheless, I see I am mistaken. I never took much notice when I bought the stuff just assumed that because it was called silver anniversary it was silver. Silly me huh.😂

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Not really. If it was pure silver you had a bargain.....
It's hilarious thinking about it. I spent all those years feeling really proud of my super audiophile pure silver speaker wire, which wasn't pure silver at all. It was copper all along with a silver coating.
And now my bubble got broke. Ow. My poor bubble. Damm it. If only I wasn't so gullible. Anyway a lesson learned. All that glitters isn't gold....or silver in my case. Ha ha..... Thanks Doug for illuminating me. Truth is always the best thing, even when it hurts a little bit.

Reactions: Al ears and DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
My mistake. Strange because when I cut and strip it, I can't see copper. Nevertheless, I see I am mistaken. I never took much notice when I bought the stuff just assumed that because it was called silver anniversary it was silver. Silly me huh.😂
No one is silly on here, we just occasionally fall for technical blurb, been there, done that several times :) I think I might have owned the same cable at some stage and thought the same as you :)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
No one is silly on here, we just occasionally fall for technical blurb, been there, done that several times :) I think I might have owned the same cable at some stage and thought the same as you :)
Actually, you've done me a favour Doug, because now I needn't bother going to the trouble of swapping my perfectly decent copper speaker cables back to the QED stuff. That can stay coiled up and it was a bit too short. Problem solved. Nice one and thank you!!

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Actually, you've done me a favour Doug, because now I needn't bother going to the trouble of swapping my perfectly decent copper speaker cables back to the QED stuff. That can stay coiled up and it was a bit too short. Problem solved. Nice one and thank you!!
If you think the QED sounds better then go for it, if not then stick with what's connected already (y)

I think that some cable ‘experts’ will suggest that the signal travels along the outer part of the wire, hence if you have silver plating then the silver may be doing the work.

Or perhaps it was released to celebrate 25 years in business? I believe QED are 50 this year, like, Linn, Naim, Rega and others, so the design may be from 25 years ago.

Reactions: JDL and DougK1

Gray

I think that some cable ‘experts’ will suggest that the signal travels along the outer part of the wire, hence if you have silver plating then the silver may be doing the work.
Indeed, the original post mentions Amazon Basics and they say this about their cable:
  • 'The material is CCA – Copper Clad Aluminium. The surface of the cable (where the data transfer takes place) is copper, but the base metal is aluminium'.
Read that and you might think that 'data transfer' doesn't occur in the aluminium.

They also say:

'No Distortion

The plastic jacket around the speaker wire helps to deliver high-quality undistorted signals to and from all of your audio equipment'.

Read that and the uninitiated could be forgiven for thinking they know what they're talking about.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I wonder who makes Amazon's cables. Their banana plugs look identical to my Sewell ones. Of course, a third party -or more- may make both, and who knows whether it varies internationally or otherwise...

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts