cables and the foo fighters brigade ...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

David@FrankHarvey said:
TrevC said:
If you make another cable with exactly the same electrical characteristics as your TQ blacks it would sound exactly the same. I reckon I could do that for about a fiver.
And paying yourself how much of a wage? And what would be the hourly rate for that? What's the budget for advertising and packaging? Parts cost? And is that including buying a TQ Black i/c to compare the properties you're talking about?

As a one off. No labour but including the wire and plugs. It might not look as nice, but it will sound identical. Obviously I would need to borrow a TQ to test.

Edit, I see they make speaker foo of that name too. I presume you are talking about interconnects.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
So if I was to say that the sun produces all the natural light and heat on earth and subsequently refuse to reconsider that statement you would describe it as an entrenched position, whereas I would call it knowing the facts.

No!

Entrenched positions happen when there are strongly held, differering POV, where both sides claim to have "truth" on their side eg NI ; Israel / Palestine etc and neither side is prepared to make a conciliatory move.

You claim to have a monopoly on "the truth," which I am questioning, based on a lot of experimenting / listening. I don't claim to have the answers, but I like to encourage people to try something similar and see what they think.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
A brief test:

I've just listed to the Grieg Piano Concerto twice, once with Chord Chameleon (5* from WHiFi) and once with free Marantz interconnects. I don't claim this is a scientific test and I'm not going to repeat it as it requires crawling on the floor and I have a bad back. However I can say that I could hear no difference at all.

Must be expectation bias!
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
So if I was to say that the sun produces all the natural light and heat on earth and subsequently refuse to reconsider that statement you would describe it as an entrenched position, whereas I would call it knowing the facts.

No!

Entrenched positions happen when there are strongly held, differering POV, where both sides claim to have "truth" on their side eg NI ; Israel / Palestine etc and neither side is prepared to make a conciliatory move.

You claim to have a monopoly on "the truth," which I am questioning, based on a lot of experimenting / listening. I don't claim to have the answers, but I like to encourage people to try something similar and see what they think.

But there is a difference here! You can't objectively test whether Israel or the PLO are correct, indeed nobody without an agenda would think that such a complex situation is likely to be anything close to black and white. However you can objectively test cables and that is all the sceptics ask, ie don't rely on the subjective and cetainly don't recommend to others that they should when doing so might mean them spending large amounts of money without any real need.

Chris

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
People 'spin' their articles in newspapers to support their political viewpoints. I don't really take anything at face value...

"diamonds are intrinsically worthless, except for the deep psychological need they fill."

(Nicky Oppenheimer, De Beers chairman)

Of course, (except for industrial use as the hardest naturally occurring mineral) as are many other things.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

No!

Your position is an entirely faith based one. I go with the science.

John Duncan

pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
People 'spin' their articles in newspapers to support their political viewpoints. I don't really take anything at face value...

"diamonds are intrinsically worthless, except for the deep psychological need they fill."

Of course, (except for industrial use as the hardest naturally occurring mineral) as are many other things.

Industrial diamonds are neither rare nor expensive, (or at least not thousands of pounds a carat) and are now commonly produced synthetically.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@CnE

I own audiophile 'designer' cables paid beyond reasonable price and I bought them because of reviews and I heard an improvement over my stock Jamo OFC cables I had.

I understand your POV. Do you understand mine?
grin.gif

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:

Industrial diamonds are neither rare nor expensive, (or at least not thousands of pounds a carat) and are now commonly produced synthetically.

I know. What point are you making? Is it just argument for the sake of it because I questioned the original post? Politics?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:

I know. What point are you making? Is it just argument for the sake of it because I questioned the original post? Politics?

De Beers' marketintg determined how much you should spend on a diamond engagement ring. In fact, before De Beers, diamonds weren't even traditional in engagement rings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27371208

A

Anderson

drummerman said:
Are you going to buy the cheap looking copper speaker cable (and interconnects) you can buy everywhere and which, to some, is as good as a thousand pounds worth of wire or will you spend a little more for the admittedly often obscure benefits of 'better' materials?

Yes.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:

De Beers' marketintg determined how much you should spend on a diamond engagement ring. In fact, before De Beers, diamonds weren't even traditional in engagement rings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27371208

FFS, how boring is this. Diamonds have had value for thousands of years because they are rare and they are beautiful to look at. Look at the numbers, in fact go and dig some up if it's so easy. Want to start on rubies, emeralds, pearls anyone? I think half you lot just come here for a row.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
A brief test:

I've just listed to the Grieg Piano Concerto twice, once with Chord Chameleon (5* from WHiFi) and once with free Marantz interconnects. I don't claim this is a scientific test and I'm not going to repeat it as it requires crawling on the floor and I have a bad back. However I can say that I could hear no difference at all.

smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

Was that the Eric Morecambe version?

John Duncan

pauln said:
FFS, how boring is this. Diamonds have had value for thousands of years because they are rare and they are beautiful to look at. Look at the numbers, in fact go and dig some up if it's so easy. Want to start on rubies, emeralds, pearls anyone?

Rubies and emeralds are rarer than diamonds. Dunno about pearls.

pauln said:
I think half you lot just come here for a row.

Funny.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
FFS, how boring is this. Diamonds have had value for thousands of years because they are rare and they are beautiful to look at. Look at the numbers, in fact go and dig some up if it's so easy. Want to start on rubies, emeralds, pearls anyone?

pauln said:

Funny.

You certainly are a mine of information.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Webern said:
Covenanter said:
A brief test:

smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

Was that the Eric Morecambe version?

It wasn't but I doubt the version made any difference to the outcome.

Chris

John Duncan

pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:

pauln said:

Funny.

uw

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
@CnE

I own audiophile 'designer' cables paid beyond reasonable price and I bought them because of reviews and I heard an improvement over my stock Jamo OFC cables I had.

I understand your POV. Do you understand mine?
grin.gif

Yes, of course I do.

I welcome reasoned argument in an atmosphere of mutual respect.....though this almost never happens.

What audiophile designer cable do you have, and if you don't mind me asking, what do you consider "beyond reasonable price"?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Uncle CnE :wave:

On the contrary with your 40 years experience i look up to as you inspire me....

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

....though not enough to see the merit in decent cables. :shifty:

Oh well, I better go back to showing off, which is not as easy as I make it look (that's where the 40 years experience come in).

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
pauln said:
John Duncan said:
pauln said:

pauln said:

Funny.

uw

Well I was a mining engineer once. Hence the interest in the diamonds. I don't have such a wealth of knowledge as you though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts