Mains Blocks / Conditioners / Regenerators

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
I don't think slagging people off adds anything to the debate.

Chris

Neither does arrogance and condescension......

Sorry, I will try to do better next time. I don't want to upset anyone. Peace?

C'mon Trev, we're only up to 147 posts.

Don't go soft now, this thread got heaps of legs left in it yet!!! :rofl:

'''Oi, don't be such a Class A Aussie trouble maker! :p

Not that I would ever assume to tell people what they can & can't hear, much less what they can spend their money on, but I'm leaning more towards Trev's side of the fence on this one.

Definitely in favour of the protective aspect, if you've spent good money on kit, then it makes sense IMO to try & protect it from transient spikes.

I recognize that it's not a practical or affordable solution for everyone, but a dedicated circuit is step one if possible. Probaby cheaper than some of those more exotic powerboards anyway!

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Neither does arrogance and condescension......

Sorry, I will try to do better next time. I don't want to upset anyone. Peace?

C'mon Trev, we're only up to 147 posts.

Don't go soft now, this thread got heaps of legs left in it yet!!! :rofl:

'''Oi, don't be such a Class A Aussie trouble maker! :p

Not that I would ever assume to tell people what they can & can't hear, much less what they can spend their money on, but I'm leaning more towards Trev's side of the fence on this one.

Definitely in favour of the protective aspect, if you've spent good money on kit, then it makes sense IMO to try & protect it from transient spikes.

I recognize that it's not a practical or affordable solution for everyone, but a dedicated circuit is step one if possible. Probaby cheaper than some of those more exotic powerboards anyway!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sospri said:
mikefarrow said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

i agree - apologies !

but isnt that what trevc was (kind of) doing when sospri commented on the effect of a tacima conditioner on his system,

only for trevc to post "well of course it didnt. what nonsense,"

This is true, trevc basically called me a liar.

If he can't take it he should not give it out...............................

i don't think so.

Just casting doubt (rather crudely) on the worth of your entirely subjective evaluation.

Which is what these kind of discussions end up being anyway.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sospri said:
mikefarrow said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

i agree - apologies !

but isnt that what trevc was (kind of) doing when sospri commented on the effect of a tacima conditioner on his system,

... trevc basically called me a liar.

No, he didn't, and that's what so ma y don't seem to understand.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
ifor said:
I know this might end in a fight (I hope it doesn't) and I know it's been covered before, but because I find it so much less tedious to follow a new thread rather than wade through older ones, I'm opening up the subject again.

it was the reference to poor mains quality in the current Steve Brock thread that interested me. So, all you knowledgable and not so knowledgeable guys out there, please enlighten me. What do blocks, conditioners and regenerators do? What experience with them do you have? Are they likely to improve the performance of a system that doesn't have an obvious problem like Steve's humming amp? Etc, etc?

A forlorn hope!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Alec said:
Sospri said:
mikefarrow said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

i agree - apologies !

... trevc basically called me a liar.

No, he didn't, and that's what so ma y don't seem to understand.

Beat me to it.

There's a very important difference between a suggestion that someone is lying and that they are mistaken. A lot less offence would be taken if people learned to tell the difference. But where would the fun in that be?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:

I would take the following approach:

- Speak to your dealer, especially if he is knowledgeable and has experience.

- Speak to MF

- Try stuff yourself, and be guided by what you hear

- First thing to do is have your hifi on a separate circuit.

- Research the different approaches by different brands to the design of their conditioners (if necessary speak to them); and by and large, you will find that there is a consistent acknowledgement, that giving amps enough headroom is a design goal.

FWIW. I find the 35i sounds best plugged directly into the wall with a decent power cable; though I can quite understand the need for surge protection.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
A lot less offence would be taken if people learned to tell the difference.....

......and showed a modicum of respect for other people's experiences and POV (even if it takes a huge amount of restraint). :roll:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alec said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
A lot less offence would be taken if people learned to tell the difference.....

......and showed a modicum of respect for other people's experiences and POV (even if it takes a huge amount of restraint). :roll:

What? Oh, nevermind.

Maybe it's all a Monty Python sketch, and I've just walked into the wrong room. :twisted:

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
because trevc claims that "quality" equipment is immune to interference "coming down the mains" .............

as a result, i presume he has chosen "quality" kit that fits this criteria hence i would be interested in exactly what kit he uses......

thing is though, it's not a willy waving exercise. One wouldn't presume that a forumla one engineer doesn't know about how to make a car go faster because he doesn't own one does he? hence what somebody owns is pretty irrelevent I would have said when dealing in cases such as this. All imho of course ;)

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
Sospri said:
mikefarrow said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

i agree - apologies !

This is true, trevc basically called me a liar.

If he can't take it he should not give it out...............................

I was a little blunt. My apologies.

Apology accepted Trevc..........

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
This is ridiculous.

I enjoy chips with salt and vinegar. It may be that vinegar changes the flavour in a way that is tasty for me while some folk like less vinegar, no salt or maybe even gravy.

These things are all personal opinion and preference.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I%252520don%2527t%252520believe%252520it.jpg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
a91gti said:
This is ridiculous.

I enjoy chips with salt and vinegar. It may be that vinegar changes the flavour in a way that is tasty for me while some folk like less vinegar, no salt or maybe even gravy.

These things are all personal opinion and preference.

How did you know I always soak my mains cables in vinegar for an hour before listening? It stops them choking the music.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Covenanter said:
How did you know I always soak my mains cables in vinegar for an hour before listening? It stops them choking the music.

Chris

malt or white? or do they give different tonal differences? :)

Red wine vinegar for orchestral music and white wine vinegar for chamber music. Balsamic vinegar brings a certain something to choral works and I suggest malt vinegar for anything "pop" oriented.

Chris

PS Cleaning the cables afterwards is a real pain but my ears can't be deceiving me can they?

PPS I'd do a blind test but I think the smell would give it away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts