Cables Make No Difference - Thread for the people who think this is true to comment in

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
'believe'...????

Vlad, this is a pointless argument. I can sit you down and go through some cables via my set and let you decide for your self.

Its not something that will be resolved over the internet.

A waste of time.

Vladimir said:
Thompson you believe you can hear the difference between copper and silver cables due to difference in metal resistance at same gauge and length.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/rstiv.html

Silver - 0.0000000159 ohms per meter.

Copper - 0.0000000168 ohms per meter.

Wow... LOL!

TrevC

dim_span said:
Vladimir said:
Thompson you believe you can hear the difference between copper and silver cables due to difference in metal resistance at same gauge and length.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/rstiv.html

Silver - 0.0000000159 ohms per meter.

Copper - 0.0000000168 ohms per meter.

Wow... LOL!

try it for yourself .... I heard differences on my previous system when switching between copper and silver speaker cables

use Prince's Purple Rain track and post here after you have tried the comparison

I could not hear differences when comparing speaker cables of the same type (copper vs copper and silver vs silver)...

until you have tried this comparison, you are merely 'speculating'

No need to try it, we have science. The fact is any cable with the same series impedance will sound the same regardless of the metal used in its construction.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
'believe'...????

Vlad, this is a pointless argument. I can sit you down and go through some cables via my set and let you decide for your self.

No problem. I'll send you my shipping address and you can send me any cable you want me to test.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't careless if you want to test or not......

Oh wait is this the bit were you guys go totally off topic searching the internet for 'amusing' cartoons and silly pictures and quotes?

Ok....moving on.

Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
'believe'...????

No problem. I'll send you my shipping address and you can send me any cable you want me to test.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
By the way, Vladimir, have you already watched Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey? I highly recommend it.

*yes, I know, this suggestions comes completely out of the blue.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It seems like you guys want me to use my own money to prove you right. That is a bit unfair. I've accepted science to save me money spent on foo and if you want to prove to me that you spent your money wisely and it isn't foo, despite what scientific facts show, then it is only fair if you send me something to test at zero cost.

You can use scientific facts to prove to me that your cables are as brilliant as advertised, but you keep repeating 'try it, try it, try it'.

OK. Gimme!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
By the way, Vladimir, have you already watched Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey? I highly recommend it.

*yes, I know, this suggestions comes completely out of the blue.

Added in my to watch list. Seems like something I would enjoy.
thumbs_up.gif

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It seems like you guys want me to use my own money to prove you right. That is a bit unfair. I've accepted science to save me money spent on foo and if you want to prove to me that you spent your money wisely and it isn't foo, despite what scientific facts show, then it is only fair if you send me something to test at zero cost.

You can use scientific facts to prove to me that your cables are as brilliant as advertised, but you keep repeating 'try it, try it, try it'.

OK. Gimme!

check your current speaker cables and check what they are made of (copper or silver or a combination)...

then go Maplins (at your own leasure) and spend £6 (of your own money) on some speaker cable of the different metal that you currently own ...

then use the Prince CD and listen to Purple Rain .....

I heard differences especially with the s's (some sounded like z's on the silver based wire compared to the copper .... I then decided that copper was best for my system and 'splashed out' and spent £30 on cables

(you may even find that the new cable that you purchase may 'sound' better than what you currently have

but most importantly, you may hear a difference (as I did) .... I also did not 'believe'

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dim_span said:
then go Maplins (at your own leasure) and spend £6 (of your own money) on some speaker cable of the different metal that you currently own ...

I have a cable box. I've bought and DIYed cables for 2 decades. I simply do not hear a difference in unsighted tests regardless if they are steel, aluminium, nasty chinese 80% copper, audiophile 99% OFC copper, shielded, unshielded, braided, solid core, litz, whatever.

I recently replaced my Audioquest Type 4 ($80) with 32A rated solid core copper cable from a utility pole ($0). I don't hear a difference even sighted. I simply cannot be bothered about it anymore. But if you send me silver cables I'll make an exception.

dim_span said:

ewwww...

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
dim_span said:

I have a cable box. I've bought and DIYed cables for 2 decades. I simply do not hear a difference in unsighted tests regardless if they are steel, aluminium, nasty chinese 80% copper, audiophile 99% OFC copper, shielded, unshielded, braided, solid core, litz, whatever.

I recently replaced my Audioquest Type 4 ($80) with 32A rated solid core copper cable from a utility pole ($0). I don't hear a difference even sighted. I simply cannot be bothered about it anymore. But if you send me silver cables I'll make an exception.

dim_span said:

ewwww...

LOL .... you changed from Audioquest type 4 for cheaper copper cables

no probs in that .... but audioquest type 4 is also copper?

you need to try silver vs copper .... and yes, the Prince track purple rain is what I used to compare. And not only I heard differences, but so did my wife and teenage son.

Like I said, I could not hear differences in using the same material (copper vs copper or silver vs silver)

I bought a box full of different cables from carboot (guy said it was cables taken out of old pubs / restaurants during refurbishment)

Try it .... you may change your mind on cables (try the Prince track Purple Rain like I did)

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Of course you need two wires.

Two??? Snake-oil of the worst kind! First you suggest one is enough, and now you're saying I need two??? Next you'll be telling me I need another two for the other speaker! You're clearly in the pay of the cable-peddlers...

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
chebby said:
dim_span said:
And not only I heard differences, but so did my wife ...

This only counts if she was "walking in from the kitchen" at the time.

The other day, upon a chair

I heard a difference that wasn't there

It wasn't there again today

Oh how I wish science would go away.

*yahoo*

taught science is often misleading .... My father's father was taught in science class that the earth is flat

I listen to music on my laptop that only has 2 speakers spaced 2 feet away from each other .... yet some of the sound/music seems to be coming from the centre of my laptop screen? Science also cannot explain that

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dim_span said:
taught science is often misleading .... My father's father was taught in science class that the earth is flat

I listen to music on my laptop that only has 2 speakers spaced 2 feet away from each other .... yet some of the sound/music seems to be coming from the centre of my laptop screen? Science also cannot explain that

Now you simply stopped trying.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
dim_span said:

It's stereo. It's an illusion of solidity created by sound coming from two separate sources. TrevC will probably be along to tell us we're all being fooled.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
dim_span said:

It's stereo. It's an illusion of solidity created by sound coming from two separate sources. TrevC will probably be along to tell us we're all being fooled.

I'm glad it's stereo and not science *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts