Deathmetal Hi-Fi Extracting the most from your CDs or Streamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Oh, and it's a small world. My guitarist Dean grew up, and is still mates with, Dan Foord.

Wish I was going to Euroblast to see Sikth & Misery Signals...... I'll have to settle for Tech-Fest instead.

Dan is an awesome drummer. I'm so glad he left Area 54 and joined Sikth.

Thanks for the kit list mate. I guess I just didn't see it on your sig lol.

:rockout:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have Anthems of rebellion by Arch Emeny on my hi-fi system right now and I must say it sounds very nice. Arch Enemy have always been my favourite death metal band, well the Angela Gossow era anyway. They will never replace her.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I have Anthems of rebellion by Arch Emeny on my hi-fi system right now and I must say it sounds very nice. Arch Enemy have always been my favourite death metal band, well the Angela Gossow era anyway. They will never replace her.

She is an awesome vocalist in my book and blows a lot of male deathmetal vocaists away. IThough Antems is a very clean sounding album I have gone off the Andy Sneap sound and any other producer that uses the same techneques he does. Awesome guitar sound but I don't like the combination drum sound of triggers and actual drum sound and being a drummer that is very close to my heart lol. The best sounding album and mix of the drum sound is Kill II This Deviate.

Granted Andy does ask the drummers what sounds they want. That's how Killswitch Engage's 1st album ended up with an old school 80s snare drum. So I guess I should blame the drummers for their own sound.

I will only record 100% organic with my music. No plug-ins, trigger, Compression or noise gates. Just me , my drums and the mic's.

Glad you are loving it though haha. :rockout:

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity what cables are you using (all in your system)?

Just some bog-standard interconnects. I don't think I paid more than £30 for any of them.

For the speaker cable, I'm using QED Silver Anniversary XT as my local dealer threw it in when I bought my floostanders.

Next on my list is a new turntable...:twisted:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Arch Enemy will ever find a replacement for Angela. But new singer sounds alright. I've not heard the new album, I do like the track War Eternal.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Waxy said:
For the speaker cable, I'm using QED Silver Anniversary XT as my local dealer threw it in when I bought my floostanders.

Next on my list is a new turntable...:twisted:

Hahaa! awesome. Go to love it when they do that. Thanks for letting me know about your cables.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys homework time.....well only if you want to ??:)

As you know I'm trying to find a Hi-Fi system that best deals with these horribly mixed overly compressed Metal albums we listen to. So if you lot are up for it I want to use your Hi-Fi kit. Through you of course. You can hopefully get a bit geeky if you want messing around with it and seeing what we manage. No money involved unless you feel you want to get better cables or a Hi-Fi rack depending on what we find and any suggestions I might make. Or hopefully you make to me.

You know your systems and what you like to hear so I won't be telling you how it should sound only what I hear from mine.

Let the fun begin. Also let me know what format you used. CD, Vinyl or streamed?

I'm going to pick on specific tracks and even sections of those tracks. I invite you to recommend tracks/sections for me (if I have the CD. If not I'll use Spotify on my HT) The idea is to make a list of what you hear or think you can hear on any given section/song.

It's not a competition to see who has the best of anything. I'm just curiouse as to what other people hear from the same music as me.

If you are not a musician and don't know what some of the instruments should sound like, or know the name of a particular instrument you might have to go online and listen to a sample. For instance Cymbal web sites have sample's for each Cymbal.

For those of you who have Death Clut Armageddon by Dimmu Borgir can you listen to the first 2 tracks. Specifiacally on track 1 when the drums kick in. What cymbals can you hear? Also describe how the intro sounds to you? On track 2 basically the whole track and how often/if you hear the Orchestra?

Those of you who have Chaosphere by Meshuggah. Have a listen to Sane and tell me how clear the Bass guitar is and how it sounds (clean/distorted) And how often you can hear Thomas hitting the toms and how often he changes the cymbal he's playing and which type too.

Again just some fun. I will put my results up on my Cable Madman FB page then post the link when you guys have give me your results. That way I won't be influenced buy what you've heard.

If you could not read other peoples results before you listen that would be better as I want your enitial thoughts. Listen as many times as you like if you want .

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I see the Homework idea went down a treat lol. Never mind.

I might of mentioned my Wife and I are going trhogh our whole CD collection from A-Z since she won the Chord Company Anthem Reference cable. Mostly because it made such a huge difference.

She doen's go in for DM/BM etc. etc. So I tend to listen to it when she's not around.

I got to Cradle Of Filth the other day. The first album sounds so much cleaner than ever before but still like a glorryfied demo. Vempire in my book is the best sounding COF album. Though I'm pretty sure the kicks and rest of the kit is triggered it still has that Nick Barker signature sound. Apparently he borrowed the drums and cymbals from the Hacate Enthropned drummer. Vempire was also recorded by the same guy who did pon Promeathean Shores. Hence they have a simmilar sound. The Guitars on Vempire really cut through along with the bass. It's the first time i've really heard the bass. The guitar harmonies really shone and sounded much nicer than before.

Dusk And Her Embrace now has a much more open sound. It always sounded a bit dead to me before but now more of the signature drum sound came through. Shame the gated reverb ruins it. Still think there is more work to be done getting more out of it though.

I don't have Crualty And The Beast as I hated the drum sound so much I just can't listen to it. I'm going to borrow it though and try if on the new cable. I might be supprised.

I only have Midian and Nymphetamine left. Midian unfortunately just showed what a fake sound it has. It's a great album but doesn't sound very musical. Nymphetamine though sounded pretty sweet and has quite a natural sound.

While writing this I have Cryptopsy's Blasphemy Made Flesh on the player. For an album that just had that low budget DM sound to it it is actually a ver clean recording. All the instruments a re really clear and though the drums don't have a polished sound abot them they do to me have a very life like sond like you are in the room with Mo while he's paying and I love that. I'm now very impressed with the mix and love it. It's brutal and relentless.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
starting to think you actually work for chord.... A shill by any other name ;)

Hhahaha. I wish. Seriously though when My wife and Ii had the demonstration at the sound and vision show we started to buy them. I almost don't trust any other manufacturer but only because I haven't had the chance to hear what they sound like.

Doesn't matter if you guys believe in cables making a difference or not but I hope you do.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Tear Drop said:
Glacialpath said:

Been busy recently - when I have time to sit down and do the evaluation I'll give this a bump for sure.

No worries man. I'm only messing. I know people have lives ;)

Alas, due to decorating the dining room, the dining room table and sideboard have been moved to right in front of my CD storage unit!

I've only been able to listen to 'Ride The Lightning' which was in the CDP before the shuffle around. The Wife has 'Ghost Reveries', a Deftones CD (can't remember which) and the Crosses CD in her car, but that's all we have bar the radio........ It's killing me........ :cry:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ooh bad timing with the homework then. Sorry bud. I feel your pain mate. No music is like not being able to breath.

Hope you are up and running again though.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
I visited Chord when I worked for a dealer. Very informative day. Used Storm Corrosion as the demo album, actually. In fact, I took that CD to every manufacturer visit I went on.

You lucky git lol.

I introduced Nigel to Death Cult Armageddon. He loved it. I know he likes metal, He also listens to Opeth.

I have to say, who is Storm Corrosion by. I haven't heard of it before.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Storm Corrosion is the Mikael Akerfeldt/ Steven Wilson side project.

It's really good. Dark, not heavy. Hardly any drumming on it.

There's a cool vid for the song 'Drag Ropes' if you want to check it out on Youtube, but my fave has to be the title track.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Hhahaha. I wish. Seriously though when My wife and Ii had the demonstration at the sound and vision show we started to buy them. I almost don't trust any other manufacturer but only because I haven't had the chance to hear what they sound like.

Doesn't matter if you guys believe in cables making a difference or not but I hope you do.

:) I was just pulling your leg, thanks for taking it that way. However, caveat emptor, Chord have been told off by the asa for making unsubstantiated claims, so it's something to bear in mind when you say you almost don't trust any other manufacturer, as they themselves have been called out for fibbing.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Ok guys homework time.....well only if you want to ??:)

As you know I'm trying to find a Hi-Fi system that best deals with these horribly mixed overly compressed Metal albums we listen to. So if you lot are up for it I want to use your Hi-Fi kit. Through you of course. You can hopefully get a bit geeky if you want messing around with it and seeing what we manage. No money involved unless you feel you want to get better cables or a Hi-Fi rack depending on what we find and any suggestions I might make. Or hopefully you make to me.

You know your systems and what you like to hear so I won't be telling you how it should sound only what I hear from mine.

Let the fun begin. Also let me know what format you used. CD, Vinyl or streamed?

I'm going to pick on specific tracks and even sections of those tracks. I invite you to recommend tracks/sections for me (if I have the CD. If not I'll use Spotify on my HT) The idea is to make a list of what you hear or think you can hear on any given section/song.

It's not a competition to see who has the best of anything. I'm just curiouse as to what other people hear from the same music as me.

If you are not a musician and don't know what some of the instruments should sound like, or know the name of a particular instrument you might have to go online and listen to a sample. For instance Cymbal web sites have sample's for each Cymbal.

For those of you who have Death Clut Armageddon by Dimmu Borgir can you listen to the first 2 tracks. Specifiacally on track 1 when the drums kick in. What cymbals can you hear? Also describe how the intro sounds to you? On track 2 basically the whole track and how often/if you hear the Orchestra?

Those of you who have Chaosphere by Meshuggah. Have a listen to Sane and tell me how clear the Bass guitar is and how it sounds (clean/distorted) And how often you can hear Thomas hitting the toms and how often he changes the cymbal he's playing and which type too.

Again just some fun. I will put my results up on my Cable Madman FB page then post the link when you guys have give me your results. That way I won't be influenced buy what you've heard.

If you could not read other peoples results before you listen that would be better as I want your enitial thoughts. Listen as many times as you like if you want .

I don't own Death Cult Armageddon by Dimmu Borgir but I do own the album Spiritual black dimensions by Dimmu Borgir. I listened to it only a few days ago so I will tell you how that album sounded through my hi-fi separates system. You can hear the fast played gutiars and drums well but the bass gets lost in the sound. The synthesizer sounds louder than everything else on the album (good job I love the synth sound of that would get old quick). The volcals sometimes get lost in the synth sound but thankfully that does not happen a lot. when they are not lost in the synth sound they are clear and easy to understand. My system kept up with the speed of the album very well and nothing sounded muddy and I could hear everything for the most part (sometimes the synth does drown out the sound slightly) clearly with lots of detail. Overall it is a good sounding album but you do have to like the synth sound or your probably not going to like the album as it does seem louder than everything else on this album. Stand out tracks for me are reptile (it is a great opening track and the vocals really standout), Dreamside dominions (this song is drowned is synth), The promised future aeons (my favourite track off of this album) and the Arcane lifeforce mysteria.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:

I might of mentioned my Wife and I are going trhogh our whole CD collection from A-Z since she won the Chord Company Anthem Reference cable. Mostly because it made such a huge difference.

She doen's go in for DM/BM etc. etc. So I tend to listen to it when she's not around.

I got to Cradle Of Filth the other day. The first album sounds so much cleaner than ever before but still like a glorryfied demo. Vempire in my book is the best sounding COF album. Though I'm pretty sure the kicks and rest of the kit is triggered it still has that Nick Barker signature sound. Apparently he borrowed the drums and cymbals from the Hacate Enthropned drummer. Vempire was also recorded by the same guy who did pon Promeathean Shores. Hence they have a simmilar sound. The Guitars on Vempire really cut through along with the bass. It's the first time i've really heard the bass. The guitar harmonies really shone and sounded much nicer than before.

Dusk And Her Embrace now has a much more open sound. It always sounded a bit dead to me before but now more of the signature drum sound came through. Shame the gated reverb ruins it. Still think there is more work to be done getting more out of it though.

I don't have Crualty And The Beast as I hated the drum sound so much I just can't listen to it. I'm going to borrow it though and try if on the new cable. I might be supprised.

I only have Midian and Nymphetamine left. Midian unfortunately just showed what a fake sound it has. It's a great album but doesn't sound very musical. Nymphetamine though sounded pretty sweet and has quite a natural sound.

While writing this I have Cryptopsy's Blasphemy Made Flesh on the player. For an album that just had that low budget DM sound to it it is actually a ver clean recording. All the instruments a re really clear and though the drums don't have a polished sound abot them they do to me have a very life like sond like you are in the room with Mo while he's paying and I love that. I'm now very impressed with the mix and love it. It's brutal and relentless.

My favourite Cradle Of Filth album is Godspeed on the Devil's thunder. I think it is probably their best recored album and I also think lead singer Dan vocals sound the best they have ever sounded. I love the song Darkness incarnate from the album. It is my favourite all time song from Cradle Of Filth and the guitar riffs on that song are great sounding to my ears. From start to finish Godspeed on the Devil's thunder is an fantastic album.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
:) I was just pulling your leg, thanks for taking it that way. However, caveat emptor, Chord have been told off by the asa for making unsubstantiated claims, so it's something to bear in mind when you say you almost don't trust any other manufacturer, as they themselves have been called out for fibbing.

Ah I need to rephrase that statment. I now you don't need me too but I don't want to come across the wrong way on this Forum. Especially on my own thread lol.

I trust the Cables Chord Company make. I trust the guys when they suggest the right cables for my setup.

When it comes to anyone telling me something against another brand I will always make my own oppinion and not make judgement till I get a chance to do a straight comparriosn. Companies will always try to push the boundaries.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
I trust the Cables Chord Company make. I trust the guys when they suggest the right cables for my setup.

fair enough, just letting you know that sometimes the trust one places in such things can be misleading, just as their claims. Either way, so long as you are enjoying your music then :cheers:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I don't own Death Cult Armageddon by Dimmu Borgir but I do own the album Spiritual black dimensions

Ahh good on yu. That is a great album. I absolutely recommend Death Cult Armageddon not just because it's an awesome album but to me it's the perfect reference album for any system.

I will put on Spiritual Black Dimensions on when I get time and come back to you/all of you with what I can hear. I know it's avery thin sounding album, so I'll put it through my HT too to utilies my subwoofer. (I really need to combne my systems. Anyone want to buy me a Quadrespire Bamboo Hi-Fi rack?)

I shall have to listen to the other COF albums too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts