Deathmetal Hi-Fi Extracting the most from your CDs or Streamers

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
This thread is my opinion and I hope you guys will make up your own mind and let me know if you agree or not once you've tried for yourself.

Please post your opinions, thoughts and questions but I know some of you don't believe in some of the things I hope to be saying. You are entitled to your opinion.

Disclamer:

This thread is mostly aimed at people who listen to Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal and so on. There will be some band names posted that some may find offensive like Ca*nibal Co*pse hence the * but they are just band names or album titles and not meant offensively. I will be commenting on how the changes I made to my system made these albums sound. Also I am not affiliated with any of the brands I mention.

Hi, my name is Trevor also known as Glacialpath/The Cable Madman. I have a page on FB if you wish to view it. I'm a musician. I play drums and guitar mainly but I can play almost anything if I get the chance. I generally love anything audio related and always want the best quality possible. I know my Hi-Fi is no way near as good as a lot of the guys on here have so I'm always looking to improve when money permits. I mostly listen to heavy music and have wondered how to get the most clarity from the albums I listen to. Cables have made the biggest difference in my set up allowing me to hear actual guitar tones, better definition from complex riffs, the full tone of different cymbals and drums (when the haven't been triggered or had drum replacement done) and clear refined bass lines and tone where as before all the instruments sounded like a distorted mess.

Albums I have extracted the most from include: Death Cult Armageddon (Dimmu Borgir) Kill (Ca*nibal Co*pse) Chaosphere (Meshuggah) One Day Remains (Alter Bridge) Powertrippin' (The Almighty) and many others.

Albums I can now listen to that I hated the sound of before: Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden) R*p*d in Their Own Bl**d (V*mitory) A small Deadly Space (Fight) Left Hand Path (Entombed) We've Come For You All (Anthrax) Heartwork (Carcass) and many others. These albums to me either had a dull, fluffy and over-compressed sounding production, or they sounded weak and low budget. Now they sound crisp and better than I ever expected to hear them thanks to the cables I use. Read on to find out which cables did what for what albums.

First though the gear I use.

I have an 10-15 year old second hand Cambridge Audio Hi-fi including a DAC magic 1, D500SE CD player, C500 control amp ad P500 power amp playing though Monitor Audio BR1 speakers stand mounted, connected with Cambridge audio heavy gauge speaker cable bound straight to the binding posts both ends.

I started with what cables I could get and at the time I got the CD player for free and the DACmagic 1 for £50 and I bought and Cambridge Audio A1 intergrated Amp new. This was my first venture into High end Hi-Fi. The CD player has a BNC output connection and I new this was the best output to use when connecting it to the DAC.

At first I didn't really know if I was hearing my music any better than I had before because I didn't have my old Hi-Fi to compare it to but over the last 6 or so years this is what I've learnt.

Everything you buy from new has a wear-in period and will reach it's optimum working level with lots of use, This sometimes takes a couple of week depending on how much you use your Hi-Fi and yes this includes cables too. I used to leave a long CD playing on repeat when I went out anywhere to speed up this process. Most cables have an optimum direction and the text on them should define this, try both ways for yourself and see. If it's a pair then make sure the text is the same way reading away from the source towards the output on it (CD to amp, amp to speakers etc.) Skinny cables have no sheilding and act more like antenna's that will suck in outside interference and add it to what you are listening too. You can't really tell this until good quality cables have been put on the system and the interference is reduced or gone completely.

Where possible audition (listen to) any new component be it cable, player, amp, Hi-Fi rack stand and do comparisions with what you already have i.e. take your system to the shop if possible. Then you'll know if what you want to buy will make a worthwile difference or not.

Even though my speakers a quite small I thought the A1 amp would be fine. I learnt it is quite a weak amp and the sound would distort a bit if I tried to turn it up loud which I would need to do to get more detail out of my CDs. I knew about good quality cables but didn't know much about which ones or even the price they can be. Instead of the skinny black Red and White terminated cables to connect the DAC to the amp I bought a Cambridge Audio Arctic 1m interconnect. It only made a little difference and was about £30-£40. I got a BNC-BNC cable to connect the CD player to the DAC from my old job so it was free. I bought the Monitor Audio Speakers in a sale and CA speaker cable and thought my music would sound amazing.

It sounded better but not the mind blowing difference I was expecting. By this time I've started to attend the Bristol Sound and Vision show and I highly recommend it. You won't learn everything in at one show and may come home bamboozled but keep going back and all will become clear.

The first major step towards that WOW factor was after a demonstration by The Chord Company at the show I bought a Chameleon interconnect to replace the Cambridge Audio Arctic. It was old stock as they had a new termination out. I paid £60 instead of £120 Now I got the WOW factor I was hoping for from the CA Arctic. It still didn't achieve the clarity I've been looking for on the albums mentioned above.

Changing the A1 to the CA C500 and CA P500 gave the next WOW moment. The audio has a much needed boost and more presence. They also allowed the speakers to work harder with ease and you can hear the DAC doing it's job better. Opening up the mix of Death Cult Armageddon which before had sounded really squashed and most of the instruments were missing. There is 40 piece orchestra playing along with the band on this album and I didn't know how often they were playing till I added the Chameleon. Still I knew there was more to come. What was added next made the biggest difference.

If this thread sparks any curiosity I will add more. I don't want to bore you if I haven't already. :O

Thanks For Reading

The Cable Madman (Glacialpath) :rockout:

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I love a bit of extreme Metal, but my main problem with it is recording quality. It's certainly better these days on vinyl where it isn't so compressed as on CD or other digital mediums, but I find a lot of Metal albums really lack bass, they sound thin and bright, with no punch or oomph. I have a full-range, high quality system so I really can gauge what is going on in the low end, and most Metal albums really have little to show for themselves here.

Just wondering what your experience was with regards to this? Also, try posting in the music section, I'd love some album recommendations from you!

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you give me a list of some of the albums you are talking about on CD I'll see if I have them. Also what is your current set up, cables and all? This will help me help you if I can.

I have found a lot of the metal albums that I used to think sounded overly compressed to have opened up massively and now have more oomph. This is all without having my Hi-Fi connected to my subwoofer. Dimmu Borgir's "Death Cult Armageddon" is the best example. It used to sound very flat and squashed.

Yes most albums these days have most of the low end taken out. This allows them to master it a a louder level. I hate how a lot of albums sound these days but now I'm finding the low end coming back with the right set up.

I'd be happy to recommend some music to you. :rockout:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys I like a bit of Metal . I dont like the growlers though ,I am going to Download in June Rob Zombie is going to be on Saw him a couple of years ago I think you might find the missing Bass ypu are looking for . you could also listen out for the Eagles of Death Metal . or you could also listen to them Crooked Vultures.or Queens of the stone age there's more but I will have to give it a bit more thought
smiley-laughing.gif

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
I love a bit of extreme Metal, but my main problem with it is recording quality. It's certainly better these days on vinyl where it isn't so compressed as on CD or other digital mediums, but I find a lot of Metal albums really lack bass, they sound thin and bright, with no punch or oomph. I have a full-range, high quality system so I really can gauge what is going on in the low end, and most Metal albums really have little to show for themselves here.

Just wondering what your experience was with regards to this? Also, try posting in the music section, I'd love some album recommendations from you!

Agree with this. They seem to sacrifice the bass at the feet of the guitars.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
One of my favourite metal bands is Nile - fairly well recorded (for metal), available on multiple formats. I have most of their albums on CD and LP. Just gone from listening to Annihilation Of The Wicked on LP to CD and the increase in compression is massive and horrible. Serves no purpose. Poor recording/mastering/pressing serves no music, it serves money but it ends there. Not sure this sh*tty situation will ever be fixed since music is business and business comes first, unless people en masse stopped buying compressed recordings but we all know that we few souls in this audiophile minority are exactly that and nothing will change because the masses have the buying power, and they don't care. A better system only serves to highlight the problem further! Respect is due to Earache records though for their FDR (full dynamic range) series of reissues. For anyone interested check this out - I'm tempted but already own the original LP, though I do love the clear green!

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Glacialpath.

You seem to have a good taste i music, kudos! :rockout:

Maybe you can help me. I listen to all kinds of genres, primarily rock. Everything from poison to Behemoth to Blink 182 to Bolt thrower, Obituary to Cannibal Corpse. My setup is Dali ikon 2, mk2, marantz pm6005, paradigm sb8 sub, and audioquest flx slip 14/4. The is good but i want some more openness and especially punch. Im thinkin bout changing amp to nad c356bee. Im playing mp3´s 320 khps from my mac through apple tv, connected with optical cable to my amp. How do i get more punch?

Best regards Christian

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I do find it disappointing how badly recorded/mastered many classic extreme metal albums are.

If you compare the sound on something like Beneath The Remains by Sepultura (their defining album I'm sure you'll agree) to more recently recorded albums by Cavalera Conspiracy, it's very much a case of "what if?".

I would kill, well maybe maim, for a remastered version of BTTR (maybe it exists, I don't know!). The same applies to early LPs by Napalm Death and many others.

I am more than happy to listen to Harmony Corruption as it stands, but what if it had been better recorded/mastered?

Love the most recent album track with John Zorn freaking the saxaphone to ****.

Same goes for Reign In Blood - the copy I own just needs a bit more of something. Still, turn it up loud enough and it's pretty groovy.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello Chr78.

There's some top bands you've listed there.

Nice little set up you have too. Also good to see you got a Sub on your system.

Despite the fact you have the sub on your system the part of my set up that gives me the most punch is my DAC (Digital to analogue converter if you didn't know). As the MP3's you listen to aren't as high a quality as CD this too might be where you are loosing some punch as not all of the detail is present in the first place. But having said that I think if you got youself a nice DAC you will get the punch you've been looking for.

If you can take your MAC to a Hi-Fi store then try some DAC's out, I'm sure you will reach your target. Either take your speakers, sub and amp too or ask for an equivalent to be set up. obviousely the store will need a demo room.

The NAD amp has the same output of youe Marantz. By all means try the amp at the same time you try a DAC but I would look at a slightly more powerfull one if you can. You're speakers will take upto 150w An amp with a higer out put will give you more oomph too but 60w your current output is very good already.

As I mentioned in my original post I believe cables make a huge difference so depending on your budget I would try something like a Chord Company USB cable then if you do decide on a DAC you will need an interconnect to connect it to your amp. I would also consider a Chord Company Crimson VEE 3 or Cobra VEE 3. These should start to give you the openess you are looking for.

Once you have tried a DAC and another amp check the second hand market unless you can afford to buy new. If you get socond hand and still have budget left you could go for a higher spec interconnect like the Chameleon VEE3 from Chord company. You could get a second hand Crimson, Cobra or Chameleon without the VEE 3 plugs, then send it to Chord Company to fit the VEE 3 plugs as the cable hasen't changed just the termination. £10 per end so £40 The VEE 3 do make a difference to my ears but up to you of course.

All in all your ears will tell you if you are getting what you want and ultimately decide if you want to part with any money.

I hope that helps. Let me know how you get on.

The Cable Madman (Glacialpath) :rockout:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Omnibeard. (Awesome user name). This is for you other guys too.

Hahaa! there is a remastered version of Beneath The Remains on CD anyway. I'm not sure about Vinyl. Ominbeard are you a Vinyl person or CD or download or what?

Since my wife won a Chord Company Anthem Reference cable and we put it on our Hi-Fi, old albums that first appeared to have poor quality mixes, production and mastering now sound awesome, natural and much better than I first thought. I, like you guys hate the way metal is produced. I record and mix my own music and plan to change the way Metal is produced if I get signed.

I have found the best sounding metal (all encompassing the genres) band so far is Converge. The production on there albums is sublime. From; Jane Doe, You Fail Me, No Heros and Axe To Fall. Each album sound just gets better and better.

I think I mentioned Heartwork and how it sounded dull. When I added the 2 Chameleon interconnects to my system it started to sound better but I still felt it wasn't quite there. Not so long ago I put this down to the mastering thinking it was over compressed. Well I was so wrong.

My wife and I are going through our CD collection from a-z literally since we put the Anthem cable on. The other day I got to Heartwork. Well I have never heard it sound so huge, the guitar harmonis just melted me, The drums though not very resonent didn't sound dull and the cymbals now sing instead of sounding like dustbin lids. You can hear Jeffs bass line more refined and now you can hear what he is singing too. Comparing it to the new one Sergical Steal, they sound very much alike. SS maybe slightly thinner

I do totally love the Scott Burns eara of Death Metal and have most of the albums he did on original pressing CD. The only ones I've heard with the new cable so far are the Cannibal Corpse albums. Oh and Cancer: To the Gory End (sorry but this just sounded rubish anyway lol, There was more guitar tone and cymbal body though)

When it came to Cannibal Corpse Blood Thirst, Gore Obsessed, and the Wretched Spawn my system just showed how bad the do sound. These will be revisited when I get my Hi-Fi onto my HT speakers that are Bi-Amped and have my REL Q50 subwoofer connected. Then I will truely be able to say how albums like them sound with the missing low end restored by the subwoofer.

Behemoth's Demigod and The Apostasy sounded quite natural and a lot clearer than I had ever heard them before. With metal albums like this it is going to take more than 1 cable to open them up completely. This is why I challanged What Hi-Fi.

I'm positive that putting my Hi-Fi on my Bi-amped set up will help open the sound stage a lot. I do stream Spotify through my AVR and just having the Bi-Amped speakers on it almost does as much as the cables on my Stereo. My theory is combining them will double the clarity.

Before this post gets any longer I will stop hear but am happy to answer any question. I sure you guys have great systems too so it's not a case of mine is better than your but by the way you are speaking I think I have heard some of the things in my system that you want to hear in yours.

Keep it Brutal

The Cable Madman

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Agree with this. They seem to sacrifice the bass at the feet of the guitars.

Yes when it comes to mastering they take out most of the low end so they can boost the volume of the audio. My understanding is because of the bit rate of CDs they have to compremise and of cousre want to give us a nice loud album to listen to. With all that low end still in there the CD/CD player would struggle to even play. Vulgar Display of Power is a great example. The Cymbals sound thin and the guitar quite weak. When I stream that album through my Pioneer AVR with my subwoofer on all that missing low end is played out. Not added just given the chance to be heard. I can hear the thikness of the cymbals, The guitar sounds much thinker. Rex's Bass pounds along like it didn't before and Vinny's snare drum actually has body to it.

A good Subwoofer on your Hi-Fi that is set up correctly will bring back the low end that has been dialed out during mastering. Meshuggah's Chaosphere is another great example. I can hear much more Tom work from Thomas than I ever could destinguish before. The cymbals have thinkness. The Kicks have power and the Bass comes through even though it's a very distorted bass sound. Jens's voice sounds much clearer and easier to understand.

The Cable Madman :rockout: >)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
There's a lot of well recorded metal. Devin Townsend's 'Terria' is probably the best recorded album I own, but Opeth's 'Ghost Reveries' is also very good.

I prefer Meshuggah's 'Nothing' over Chaosphere, both musically and production wise. Also, I think your drivers might suffer if you listen to the distortion/ white noise at the end of Chaosphere too much.... Some major cone movement there! :rockout:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
There's a lot of well recorded metal. Devin Townsend's 'Terria' is probably the best recorded album I own, but Opeth's 'Ghost Reveries' is also very good.

I prefer Meshuggah's 'Nothing' over Chaosphere, both musically and production wise. Also, I think your drivers might suffer if you listen to the distortion/ white noise at the end of Chaosphere too much.... Some major cone movement there! :rockout:

Yup those albums do have great mixes. Most of the Opeth albums sosund great. I used to find Dev's Accelerated Evolution used to sound muddy to me but now on my current set up it it has opened up and the low end has got tighter and it's much easier to listen to.

Good call on Nothing. Do you mean the original version on the one the rerecorded the guitars and drums?

Actually one of the things I challanged What Hi-Fi to was a system that allowed Chaosphere to be almost as clear as the original Nothing. When I listen to Chaosphere I can hear the drum sound is much the same as the programmed drums (the same drumkit though) as Nothing. With my own efferts I have started to rech that goal.

With the subwoofer on my AVR when I play Chaosphere as I've said before I can hear the drums easyer and the tone is much closer to that of Nothing. So I really want to combine my set ups to see how close they really sound.

I now it sounds odd me saying 2 completely different albums 10 years apart sound almost the same but I've found with the cables I've been putting on my system, albums that used to sound very different actually sound quite similer.

Anyway enough of my geeky crap.

What Hi-Fi gear are you using. I have no idea. It would be nice to comepare notes and see if when you've bought something you've suddenly heard new things from an album you've listened to many times before.

Tear Drop. I've had the 1st 3 Nile albums on my Hi-Fi before I got the Anthem cable but they sounded pretty natural and In my opinion sond better than Annihilation of The Wicked, Ithiphalic, Those Whom The Gods Detest and At The Gate Of Sethu. When I have put them all through the new cable I'll let you know what I think.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Glacial,

I'm also a forum newbie with a penchant for, amongst many other things, metal in all it's forms. Your post has prompted me to play DCA on my new set-up! As a relative newcomer to the more expensive end of hi-if, one thing I noticed immediately is that a quality system exposes poor recordings. I don't know if that is because of my choice of components though...

Anyway, I'm just sitting back listening to the first Black Sabbath LP and I'm loving it.

m/ m/

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Tear Drop. I've had the 1st 3 Nile albums on my Hi-Fi before I got the Anthem cable but they sounded pretty natural and In my opinion sond better than Annihilation of The Wicked, Ithiphalic, Those Whom The Gods Detest and At The Gate Of Sethu. When I have put them all through the new cable I'll let you know what I think.

Just listened to Black Seeds and Darkened Shrines (both briefly, both CD), and I agree, the later albums aren't as good. Shrines is probably my favourite, both in terms of recording and music. My green double LPs sound amazing.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Waxy said:
Hi Glacial,

I'm also a forum newbie with a penchant for, amongst many other things, metal in all it's forms. Your post has prompted me to play DCA on my new set-up! As a relative newcomer to the more expensive end of hi-if, one thing I noticed immediately is that a quality system exposes poor recordings. I don't know if that is because of my choice of components though...

Anyway, I'm just sitting back listening to the first Black Sabbath LP and I'm loving it.

m/ m/

That's I nice set up you have there.

Ah glad to have enspired you to put on some tunes. How did Death Cult Armageddon sound to you on your system compared to previouse set ups? Was it CD or Vinyl you listened to? I'd love to hear it on Vinyl.

Yes unfortunately a better system can show how bad some recordings are. Which albums have you found suffer on your set up?

I do find that older albums sound better. None of this new technology recording crap.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Just listened to Black Seeds and Darkened Shrines (both briefly, both CD), and I agree, the later albums aren't as good. Shrines is probably my favourite, both in terms of recording and music. My green double LPs sound amazing.

Have you Got "In the Beginning" the 2 EPs/Demos they put out before Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka? I love the first half of it.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mac mini-> Wireworld USB->Arcam rPac->Chord Crimson->Cyrus 6a->Chord Epic->B&W CM1s here.

Recently been going through King Diamond/Mercyful Fate and Annihilator, alongside SikTh and some nu-metal. Went off metal a little bit, but I'm coming back around to it.

Ah, Nile... I remember years ago trying to learn Annihilation of the Wicked on bass... that album kicked my arse.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Big Chris said:

Ghost reveries by the amazing Opeth is a very well recorded album.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
Mac mini-> Wireworld USB->Arcam rPac->Chord Crimson->Cyrus 6a->Chord Epic->B&W CM1s here.

Recently been going through King Diamond/Mercyful Fate and Annihilator, alongside SikTh and some nu-metal. Went off metal a little bit, but I'm coming back around to it.

Ah, Nile... I remember years ago trying to learn Annihilation of the Wicked on bass... that album kicked my arse.

Nile do seem to go through bass players. Maybe that's why ;)

I auditioned for Sikth once. My drumming style wasn't quite what they were looking for. It was before they got signed too. Great bunch of guys. I prefer them with the singer they had before Justin, A guy called Tristen. Him and Micky just sounded awesome together and their music was much heavier then also. I got a demo tape somewhere. I must dig it out, it's brutal. I was lucky enough to witness their first gig with the Tristan Line up. They blew the headline band away.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Death Cult Armageddon on CD sounded grander, bigger, more opulent with a clarity that impressed. The vinyl looks hard to track down and rather expensive. Also been listening to a lot of Opeth, the stuff produced by Steven Wilson sounds fantastic. So much space! A couple of older thrash albums haven't sounded great ( Kreator - Terrible Certainty being one) but I honestly think it's just a more honest representation of the recording compared to my old system.

Looking forward to listening to Autopsy - Severed Survival, Entombed - Left Hand Path, Death - Leprosy on vinyl, but worried about how Sepultura - Beneath The Remains is going to sound... It was never the best recording!

Edit: Severed Survival sounds super heavy. The bass guitar sounds superb. :bounce:

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Big Chris said:

Yup those albums do have great mixes. Most of the Opeth albums sosund great. I used to find Dev's Accelerated Evolution used to sound muddy to me but now on my current set up it it has opened up and the low end has got tighter and it's much easier to listen to.

Good call on Nothing. Do you mean the original version on the one the rerecorded the guitars and drums?

Actually one of the things I challanged What Hi-Fi to was a system that allowed Chaosphere to be almost as clear as the original Nothing. When I listen to Chaosphere I can hear the drum sound is much the same as the programmed drums (the same drumkit though) as Nothing. With my own efferts I have started to rech that goal.

With the subwoofer on my AVR when I play Chaosphere as I've said before I can hear the drums easyer and the tone is much closer to that of Nothing. So I really want to combine my set ups to see how close they really sound.

I now it sounds odd me saying 2 completely different albums 10 years apart sound almost the same but I've found with the cables I've been putting on my system, albums that used to sound very different actually sound quite similer.

Anyway enough of my geeky crap.

What Hi-Fi gear are you using. I have no idea. It would be nice to comepare notes and see if when you've bought something you've suddenly heard new things from an album you've listened to many times before.

It should all be listed in my sig, but here it is anyway. Arcam A85 integrated, P85 power and CD192 CDP, Bi-amping - A85 running the tweeters, P85 the woofers - a pair of B&W 602 S3s in conjunction with a PV1 subwoofer. Atlas audio cables and Russ Andrews Powerkords abound. :)

Many here reckon Arcam can't do Rock/ Metal, but when I bought the CD192 to replace a CD72T... A big step up. I then added the P85 power amp and Atlas cables and something just clicked.... I want to upgrade my speakers when funds allow, but I'm a bit worried as I don't want to upset the balance.

Oh, and it's a small world. My guitarist Dean grew up, and is still mates with, Dan Foord.

Wish I was going to Euroblast to see Sikth & Misery Signals...... I'll have to settle for Tech-Fest instead.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey again.

Thanks for your answer :)

Im a bit confused, you said that my amp had 60 watts, i think it only has 45. My amp is the marantz pm6005, and you say i should try a dac? correct me if im wrong but doesnt the marantz pm 6005 have a "built in dac"? i dunno im a noob in hifi. Anyway, i have also been thinking about the arcam fmj a 19, creek evolution a50 or the naim nait 5si, which one would you go for, for that punchy, clear, fast open sound? Best regards Christian

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Hey again.

Thanks for your answer :)

Im a bit confused, you said that my amp had 60 watts, i think it only has 45. My amp is the marantz pm6005, and you say i should try a dac? correct me if im wrong but doesnt the marantz pm 6005 have a "built in dac"? i dunno im a noob in hifi. Anyway, i have also been thinking about the arcam fmj a 19, creek evolution a50 or the naim nait 5si, which one would you go for, for that punchy, clear, fast open sound? Best regards Christian

Ahh bless you mate. Anything that plays a digital source has a DAC in it. Otherwise we would all just hear/see digital information. So yes your amp already has a DAC.

You understand the principals of Seperates in a Hi-Fi right? A CD player, and amp, a tape deck (back in the day) aposed to it all being in one box. Well they went one step further and made a dedicated DAC. Mine is at the bottom of my picture. (should be on top of the Hi-Fi which it now is, I need to update my picture)

This means all your TV does is send the signal to the DAC which turns it into the Analogue signal that goes to your amp and then your speakers.

Regrds the amp wattage you are right. yes it is 45w at 8 ohms but 60w at 4 ohms.

So I think the NAD you are looking at would be a great choice. I think I looked at the wrong one when I first answered you as it seems the NAD is 80w.

Can't remeber if I suggested trying different cables with the amp. What Optical cable are you currently using?

You will find people in these forums who say cables don't make any difference. I'm not saying they are wrong (well I am but that's my opinion ;) ) but make up your own mind. If you can get hold of a Chord Prodac coaxial cable straight from The Chord Company they have a very good money back guarantee and would be happy for you to send it back if you are not saticfied. Also send message to the cable Doctor on their site. you tell them what Hi-Fi gear you have and your budget then they will suggest which cables will get you the most value for money.

Check out my Cable Mad Man page on facebook and you can see the ones I'm using. You don't have to copy me lol. It's all about what sonds best to you. :rockout:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Waxy said:
Looking forward to listening to Autopsy - Severed Survival, Entombed - Left Hand Path, Death - Leprosy on vinyl, but worried about how Sepultura - Beneath The Remains is going to sound... It was never the best recording!

Edit: Severed Survival sounds super heavy. The bass guitar sounds superb. :bounce:

You should enjoy left hand path. I found the uneven bass drum work sounded much more even.

Beneath The Remains will still sond a bit crusty but come on it's why we love it right ;) Try finding the Remastered version you might prefer it.

Out of curiosity what cables are you using (all in your system)?

:rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts