Review of my new AVI ADM40s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
What an excellent post. Welcome to the world of contented music loving AVI'ers. No tweaking and no worrying about the system.

Huge thanks also to all you AVI baiters out there for not being negative and filling the thread with spite. Wonderful how more grown-up this forum is now compared to not that long ago.

Enjoy your new found freedom, Dan.

:cheer:

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Nice write up Dan.

Did you take a trip to AVI and have a listen before you bought or did you go in blind?

Look nice in your room btw :)

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting findings, Dan.

You may have seen I recently posted about my two systems - Naim SN and Harbeth p3 with mac mini, vs my new ADM9T. Still enjoying both systems, and it's easy to spot the differences. Naim / Harbeth is a full bodied, warm sound with a sweet treble whilst the 9T have a cleaner, faster sound, perhaps more versatile across genres too.

It's hard to say which I prefer, but the 9T are 25 percent of the price. The big plus for the 9t is the clearer definition between elements, although some listeners don't like this effect, and prefer a more homogenous sound. Also, the 9t have great imaging but the harbeth have a lovely smooth sound. I swap between them now and then and enjoy the differences.

The Naim and Harbeth are lovely products with great build quality and a joy to use, but the 9t keep things very simple and hassle/upgrade free. They are not as well built though, but you wouldn't expect them to be for the price.

I would live to try some ATCscm50 or 100 actives one day, when I have a bigger living space.

More of a design thing, but the adm40s are not for me. Apart from being too big in my room, I'm not keen on the digital readout on the front, nor the extended plinth. Of course this is purely subjective, many will love these features and likewise, many think harbeths are ugly... Whereas I think it's hard to find more seductive looking speakers! The 9t are fairly non descript (like proac) when they have grilles on, so they suit my tastes just fine.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments folks. It's great to get such positive feedback.

Chebby - I have not as yet done much experimentation with positioning, but I will. Although the picture doesn't show it very well they are slightly toed in.

I'm going to start my self imposed forum embargo for a while now. All the best folks.

MrJmeans

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar situation to you audiokid. I bought a pair of ADM9s on eBay. They were fairly tatty but described as working. When they arrived I could hear one channel and after some advice it seemed like the IR receiver had a fault. The one channel I heard was so immediately impressive that I decided to have them repaired rather than send them back to cash revolvers who sold them.

These were repaired and sent back to me by the manufacturers in 4 days for what I would describe as a nominal sum. Once I heard them in stereo I sold my Linn stuff from 2 other rooms in the house and bought an additional new pair.

They just sound so much better to me and the Linn stuff was not at all shabby! I now have for me a better sounding system and was left with some surplus cash from selling my old gear on eBay.

TRENDING THREADS