Cables Make No Difference - Thread for the people who think this is true to comment in

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This is the place for people who dont believe cables can make any difference to share thoughts on it and anything negative towards the idea.

(therefore hopefully threads where people want some advice dont spiral into uneccessary "do's and dont arguements")

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ah, forum apartheid. Going to make a nice little ghetto for people with a different opinion? Maybe we can find the forum equivalent of making them wear a yellow star?

And with that I would like to invoke Godwin's Law and declare this thread finished

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Sorry, but what a bizarre thread! Only open to those who agree, it's going to be an exciting debate then!

Like on many forums, some members here like to have flouncy temper tantys. I'm sure it would have been just as effective if someone had done the exact same thing but for people who think that cables do make a difference.

"I've created a little asylum here for all of you who believe cables make a difference so you don't keep dragging into endless pages of do/don't our attempts to teach right thinking to anyone who comes along with a cable question" Not at all provocative or inflammatory then *angel*

scene

David@FrankHarvey said:
This is the place for people who dont believe cables can make any difference to share thoughts on it and anything negative towards the idea.

I thought those with this belief 'shared their thoughts' on most cable threads anyway?

Exactly. And why would there need to be a specific thread for them - unless it's in "Auntie Angelina's Problem Corner"

"Hello my name's XXYYZZ and I am a cable agnostic..." *wink*

Norris Cole

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I think you're right.

He had so many opportunites over the past few years, but he ended up being just as full as bluster as all the others. That whole Fred Goodwin thing, the double yellow lines, foreign firms investing in British companies, etc.; nothing ever came of anything he said as far as I am aware. Talks a good talk but ends up going nowhere, repeating the same old stuff over-and-over again. Ultimately it doesn't matter how articulate you are, if all you say is really just hot air with no substance based on unproven and untested theory.

All in all, I agree with your premise that Cable's made no difference.

*wacko*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This was intended to replace the arena that is the usual cables debacle that is full of sarcastic comments and negativity in the hope that the next cable thread might actually not be as every other one is and it might have some positive contribution

The like minded can come on here and tell people like me that I am mad - but I beleive everything makes a difference.

All cables - power, interconnects etc - even down to usb and sata and 5v cables from battery power supplies.

I believe OCC Copper sounds different to Oxygen free which sounds different to brass or phosphor bronze.

I believe cable construction including materials used, dielectic material, spacing everything makes a difference.

I believe jumper cables make a difference rather than solid bits of metal that come with the speakers

I have never once made a change of the above and not heard a difference so this is the new arena hopefully so we can get some positivity back into the forum - rather than people being pushed away

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I believe OCC Copper sounds different to Oxygen free which sounds different to brass or phosphor bronze.
I believe cable construction including materials used, dielectic material, spacing everything makes a difference.
I believe jumper cables make a difference rather than solid bits of metal that come with the speakers

Faith-based engineering? ;-)

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
This was intended to replace the arena that is the usual cables debacle that is full of sarcastic comments and negativity in the hope that the next cable thread might actually not be as every other one is and it might have some positive contribution

The like minded can come on here and tell people like me that I am mad - but I beleive everything makes a difference.

All cables - power, interconnects etc - even down to usb and sata and 5v cables from battery power supplies.

I have never once made a change of the above and not heard a difference so this is the new arena hopefully so we can get some positivity back into the forum - rather than people being pushed away

You mention USB cables. So you also believe that when you transfer for example photos from your digital camera or phone to your computer, the quality of the USB cable determines how sharp and colourful the image will be on your computer? You think using more expensive USB cables between camera-laptop will give you a better copy of the photo on your laptop? All in all, the USB cable doesn't distinguish between audio or video, it is how we choose to display the data afterwards that makes it audio or video or whatever else.

You might then also reason that I see this webpage not as sharp and colourful as you/others, because I use a cheaper ethernet cable than others?

scene

Laurens_B said:
ellisdj said:

You mention USB cables. So you also believe that when you transfer for example photos from your digital camera or phone to your computer, the quality of the USB cable determines how sharp and colourful the image will be on your computer? You think using more expensive USB cables between camera-laptop will give you a better copy of the photo on your laptop? All in all, the USB cable doesn't distinguish between audio or video, it is how we choose to display the data afterwards that makes it audio or video or whatever else.

You might then also reason that I see this webpage not as sharp and colourful as you/others, because I use a cheaper ethernet cable than others?

But you've got to consider the storage as well! The actual hard disk it's stored on is also important and could change the sound of your music as well, apparently *scratch_one-s_head*

TrevC

This thread is unnecessary. What we need is a thread where the hifi religious can post their deluded twaddle about speaker links and such, leaving the sound and sensible advice threads alone.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
this is the sarcastic stuff that ruins normal cable threads - like the stuff spouted from TrevC who is the messiah on the topic - if we keep it in here then some positivity might just return to a thread with someone asking for recommendations - not holding my breath though but we can hope

So yep usb cables are amazing - I wouldnt be without my high end usb cable - thsat no joke, not tried my printer but I wonder if it will sound good? Not tried a better cable on that maybe it will print me the mona lisa.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
So yep usb cables are amazing - I wouldnt be without my high end usb cable - thsat no joke, not tried my printer but I wonder if it will sound good? Not tried a better cable on that maybe it will print me the mona lisa.

I wasn't joking, the job of the USB cable is to transfer the data from A to B. It does not distinguish between audio or video or something that has to be printed. If you believe in the audible difference between them in your audio system, it would only make sense that you might be able to see differences in image quality sent over USB, or anything else.

However, it is quite easy to show that the data that comes out of the USB cable is mathematically 100% equal between different USB cables. That's why I mention them, because in analog cables like RCA and speaker cables, there are actually measurable differences, so it really comes down to do you hear them or not, which gets very controversial. However, as I said, in (properly functioning) digital cables, it is easy to show that the output is exactly the same, if they are not you have too much noise which shows VERY clear artifacts, and you might need a better shielded one for the job.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
on my old system, copper based speaker cables sounded different to silver base speakers .... but I could not hear any difference when comparing copper to copper or silver to silver .... that was 10 years ago

my ears are worse now, so I assume that I wont hear any differences .... my teenage daughter and son may though

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
its not just about electricity - electromagnetic fields are proven around all electrical currents, then you have noise and all sorts - lots to consider

SteveR750

You've got to see the funny side, surely? I'll bet Stormont castle was far more productive! It's clearly such a subjective assessment, neither side are going to persuade the other, so why bother wasting each other's time to attempt to do so? All of the subjective / scientific theories and observations have been posted many times! Unless of course, it's now simply a case of posturing egos... ;) Sorry, I'm being a trouble maker, I'll go back so sleep :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts