What's the most sensible HiFi purchase you've recently made or likely to make in the near future; Or, the most pointless HiFi purchase you've made?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Forum members might be better off posting to the point and answering the question posted by the OP, if they insist on directing towards a YouTube opinion that they have nothing to confirm with then their posts are are going to get deleted!
While I understand the need for re-direction in this particular case and indeed agree that it had to be made, it reminds me of a similar frustration that I feel every time I see an article on WhatHiFi on a television or an iPhone. I think WhatHiFi might be better off posting articles on hifi.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
WiiM Pro Plus excellent VFM had one for a few days now
Please to hear it.
My order from Amazon should be arriving any time soon. I'll make some comparisons WiiM Pro Plus DAC against five times the price Eversolo DAC Z8 and it'll be interesting to see how close it comes to the Golden Boy :)

Edit:
Sorry I'm a person who's working in finance who can't add up, the Eversolo is three times the price...maybe I need a holiday.

Last edited:

doifeellucky

Is it bettered?
Would blind testers reliably come to that conclusion?
I saw a video recently where they did some blind testing, about 10 participants, and two of the setups were actually the same. Not duplicated gear, they just repeated with the same equipment that had just been used. Something like 90% thought they could hear a difference. They just played the same thing again, having allowed an amount of time for pretending to change certain components.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I saw a video recently where they did some blind testing, about 10 participants, and two of the setups were actually the same. Not duplicated gear, they just repeated with the same equipment that had just been used. Something like 90% thought they could hear a difference. They just played the same thing again, having allowed an amount of time for pretending to change certain components.
The participants are already been primed to expect a difference due to the nature of the experiment. They will assume others can hear a difference, so don’t want to look stupid compared to their peers & will hear a difference to fit in.

Brilliant example of three different psychological effects combined & wrapped a lovely psychoacoustic experiment: authority bias (trusting seniority), priming (pre-loading information to skew behaviour) & pluralistic ignorance (thinking something isn’t up but staying quiet for fear of looking out of place).

Gray

That says it all.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I can predict the outcome of those comparisons now, since you won't be doing it blind!
I think you're being a wee-bit pedantic, its a £600 v £200 DAC, we're not comparing apples to apples. I simply want to gauge the VFM aspect of the WiiM Pro Plus and whether this is good enough to live with, without spending stupid amounts of money on a DAC
(BTW, I'm not advocating you shouldn't spend stupid amounts of money on a DAC because it's your choice).

Somebody on another portal done a comparison with the much acclaimed budget SMSL SU1 DAC. WiiM Pro Plus held it's own, the SU1 edging it slightly but he was nit picking over small detail. Based on his findings, not mine(!), this gives a good measure of the DAC and if it was your only DAC, it is more than good.

Oh, one other thing it has the same AKM chipset as my DAP TempoTec Variation 6 and I really love the sound from this device, it's punchy, it has great weight and transparency and, this is a good indication, I will get something similar from the WiiM.

Last edited:

doifeellucky

In the blind test I mentioned above part of the test was comparing a Topping E50 (£200) against a Chord Hugo TT2 (£4000). When blind half couldn’t hear a difference. Later when they re-tested with all the gear visible, that opinion didn’t significantly change. By the end of the test all of them could identify which was which, when they knew what to listen for, but a fairly equal proportion either had no preference or still preferred the Topping.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I don't think this Jason is quite as brainwashed as some.
(There's still hope for him....he might even arrange for a truly blind test to ensure no influence).
Thank you Gray, you're always a great sport :)

Actually I'm doing this because someone on another thread asked me to feedback how it performs. I won't blind test because I lost the will to live and I might just kick the cat down the stairs (No no no, just kidding, I'll never do that, love my ginger boy :) )

My Eversolo is magical but it is £600 ; it's just to get a measure of how good the DAC is on the WiiM Pro Plus and fishing out those early reviews, it's going to sound awesome I'm sure.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Forum members might be better off posting to the point and answering the question posted by the OP, if they insist on directing towards a YouTube opinion that they have nothing to confirm with then their posts are are going to get delete
My most pointless purchases lately was a pair of stereo bookshelf speakers, purchased simply because the new price was reduced by £300 from the RRP. I Assumed that because they were much newer than my older speakers and the same brand, that they would sound better. The shop owner said they would sound better. They didn't. Then I made another even more pointless purchase. I bought another pair. These were multi award winning bookshelf speakers, again I assumed that because they were somewhat larger than the earlier pointless purchase, and multi award winners, that these would sound brilliant. They didn't. They were dull and lifeless sounding. I hope this helps people like me, who rush in to purchases having made assumptions that turn out to be erroneous. Ha ha. I sold both pairs and ended up back where I started, with a pair of speakers that I like the sound of.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
While I understand the need for re-direction in this particular case and indeed agree that it had to be made, it reminds me of a similar frustration that I feel every time I see an article on WhatHiFi on a television or an iPhone. I think WhatHiFi might be better off posting articles on hifi.
Goodness me, I hope WHF doesn't turn into the Verge!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have another anecdote I wish to share, are you awake???
How did I miss this?

This was the time when I was a young guy, rented a bedsit in Leyton. I had everything, a nice girlfriend, a communal toilet and shower. God I hate other peoples toe nails.

Anyway, yes something was missing apart from the six pack. HiFi, yes I need a decent HiFi but something cheap because I was on crap civil service salary.
Just across the road was this second hand charity shop, I knew the guy, he always sold me cheap spliff...Yes, right focus.
I wasn't sure what I would find but Do I Feel Lucky? Please don't sue me!

Yes, I found some real treasures, amongst the other junk, though this wasn't junk. I found these ancient BBC speakers, not Rogers LSA, these were from B&W and alongside was an old Sugden Class A 12 watt integrated amp with press down buttons, the whole components were encased in real wood, a bit tacky but nothing that can't be fixed. This was truly an amazing find.

How much, give us £20 for the lot.
Oh wow, the best purchase EVER!

In addition to that, I payed £80 for a Sony CD player from a pawn shop. The sound coming from these 25 watt speakers were absolutely brill. The most seriously laid back music churning out from these unit.

It's a shame I gave them away to my brother, only for his dog to chew bits out of it.
Real shame, if I had them still today, they would have been worth a pretty penny.

Last edited:

daveh75

I don't think this Jason is quite as brainwashed as some.
(There's still hope for him....he might even arrange for a truly blind test to ensure no influence).

We'll have to agree to disagree...

I think you're being a wee-bit pedantic, its a £600 v £200 DAC, we're not comparing apples to apples.

I'm really not. For starters

You've been touting EverSolo all over forums recently

You've already decided price is a relevant factor.

If you think this won't influence your comparisons then you really are a lost cause!

Added to that, there's the fact you attribute magical properties to bits of wire, and seem "open minded' to all manner of audiophiles BS.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
We'll have to agree to disagree...

I'm really not. For starters

You've been touting EverSolo all over forums recently

You've already decided price is a relevant factor.

If you think this won't influence your comparisons then you really are a lost cause!

Added to that, there's the fact you attribute magical properties to bits of wire, and seem "open minded' to all manner of audiophiles BS.

Move along now, nothing to see,,,,
Have you taken your anxiety pills?
Good grief there's always one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts