What's the most sensible HiFi purchase you've recently made or likely to make in the near future; Or, the most pointless HiFi purchase you've made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I've just purchased the WiiM Pro Plus (with the better DAC) from Amazon. Hopefully I'll receive it in the next few days.

You may ask why the purchase, when I already got Streamer Digital transport or the PC to stream my music?
Really it was just having the convenience, it's always there without having to mess around with the software.

My Streamer Digital Transport is Android base, so I have all the streamer apps but I need to switch over from the Music Library OS shell (default) each time I need to access the streamer apps and switch back again when I want to play my stored music collection on my DAC. For many people it's no big deal but I just like things to be permanently placed without having to fiddle about.

I know lazy so and so...:) and possibly an unnecessary purchase so it's really difficult to justify this as the best purchase, even though the Plus version is a mere £209 including remote?

This is not in keeping with my opening heading but I suppose, potentially it's great purchase in terms of absolute convenience?

Although WiiM Pro Plus DAC is very good, plays the highest Res PCM and DSD up to 512 (AKM chipset), I will nevertheless output the WiiM's coax to the Eversolo (Top end ESS chipset with 8xsampling), because both are effectively pre-amps. By opting for the Eversolo, the WiiM is also routed to the Singxer head amp and everything is in unison.
There's also the option to place the WiiM with the main HiFi in the lounge but it's likely it won't be used often enough. It's better to have it on permanent tap, because I like to listen to various podcasts on Spotify while I'm on my work lunch break.

Yes I love to have your thoughts on any HiFi purchases you made recently that you considered the best ever or the worse ever?

Oh, please a polite request and not to evoke the sensitive disposition of our delightful moderators, please could you refrain from the mention of cables (have I just unwittingly killed this thread?) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Juzzie Wuzzie

Just purchased a WiiM mini as needed a second source to test my system (power amplifier now in for repair) but mighty impressed with it upon the minimal use to date. Will probably get a Wiim Pro Plus when they come out and / or a Schiit Modi+.

Would be interested in your views on the WiiM PP in due course. They are also releasing an all-in-one streamer+amplifier based on it, which could be interesting for second / third room listening.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Just purchased a WiiM mini as needed a second source to test my system (power amplifier now in for repair) but mighty impressed with it upon the minimal use to date. Will probably get a Wiim Pro Plus when they come out and / or a Schiit Modi+.

Would be interested in your views on the WiiM PP in due course. They are also releasing an all-in-one streamer+amplifier based on it, which could be interesting for second / third room listening.
WiiM Pro Plus is already on sale on Amazon UK and you can choose the Barclays option to pay by instalments for a small interest, which is what enticed me. I was just looking initially, then I thought, yeah why not!

Yeah sure absolutely, I will give my thoughts on how it performs, hopefully not too well because I paid £579 for the Eversolo!
Though I have to say, the Eversolo is fantastic purchase, really top notch DAC. For it's price category, it's the complete DAC in terms of built and sound quality. The interface is amazing and great flexibility with generous connectivity and Bluetooth which has become de'facto for modern DACs and streamers.

Last edited:

Messiah

Hmm. Recent purchase, like 12th Monkey, would be the iFi Zen Blue 2. Great way to add BT (Spotify) to my system.

Potentially pointless, well.....
My current Amp/CD is 30 years old and whilst I think it sounds great there are times when I wonder whether its age is a limiting factor.
It may be going back out on loan soon which gives me an excuse to get something new and I love the look of the Marantz PM6007 / CD6007 combo, plus it has great reviews. BUT, I also read a lot about 'all CD players and Amps sound the same'. Do I believe this? Not really. Although I am a little sceptical as I used to have a Cyrus Pre / Power combo that I am not sure made a big difference to my sound at the time. BUT, (again) there are other factors that could have been limiting at the time like speaker placement, size etc.
Hope you are still with me up till now. lol.
So, I want to buy this combo (and I know I should demo) and hope it does make a positive difference. 😁

lindo68

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
HI im just about novice at ,this recently I purchased ,yamaha aventage rx A1060, and arcam fmj dv139..I'm getting a feeling of dread ,maybe they aren't compatible ,so many ,choices of attachments, I'm unsure if its a waste of time and money ,really need help,I need speakers as I've none that are decent enough ,is it a waste or have I got a decent listen, I'm a sort of musician 😊..but no audiophile..,1..how to get the best from what I have and 2..not got great budget for surround speakers, maybe, 650 quid..3..need help choosing the best settings,..4..I'm in the now defunct..area..@!!!?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

The reviews are coming in. Randy is straight talking honest reviewer, worth a listen :)
View: https://youtu.be/9sf3e7jqQXM?si=fBDl1cBD882Q6oi_

This guy is also entertaining :)
View: https://youtu.be/C1-wEYM4nkA?si=lhKwG8p0ucOj_PTh

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
HI im just about novice at ,this recently I purchased ,yamaha aventage rx A1060, and arcam fmj dv139..I'm getting a feeling of dread ,maybe they aren't compatible ,so many ,choices of attachments, I'm unsure if its a waste of time and money ,really need help,I need speakers as I've none that are decent enough ,is it a waste or have I got a decent listen, I'm a sort of musician 😊..but no audiophile..,1..how to get the best from what I have and 2..not got great budget for surround speakers, maybe, 650 quid..3..need help choosing the best settings,..4..I'm in the now defunct..area..@!!!?

I think you have a very good bases both AV and CD are highly rated. I was trying to ascertain the speakers they were using in the WHF review but it isn't clear, maybe someone on this thread is familiar with these two products and can recommend speakers that works well.

I know Richer Sounds have helped me in the past (it was a long time ago!). I would ring up, tell them I got this amp and they would say, this speakers works best, less bright etc.
I'm not sure if the store near London Bridge is still open or you have a store near you but these guys can demonstrate their speakers in the backroom, not ideal but you get the jest.

Also, search your product on Youtube for the reviews, you'll get an idea of what speakers they were using for the reviews, ones to avoid or ones to take home, but also it might give you a flavour of the room settings. I know, not nearly as good as being in the actual showroom but it's something to think about.

I think some of the guys on the forum will have a better idea. The best of luck.

1693315199436.png
1693315235611.png

matthewpianist

My two most sensible are also the most recent - the Triangle Borea BR02 BT, and the WiiM Pro. That's a huge amount of musical enjoyment for a relatively small outlay.

My least sensible/least meaningful purchase was probably the Quad Artera Play+ CD/Pre and Stereo power amp. Expensive, and it didn't offer any meaningful improvement in my setting and with my requirements.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I recall, when I was young (not so long ago!), the original Kef Coda's I purchased was my first glimpse into HiFi. These were absolutely amazing. Everything that was published in WHF was bang on, these budget speakers were a steal.
After a few years, saving up my pennies and working part time in Ali's greasy kebab shop, I decided it was time for an upgrade.

Well, the Mordaunt-Short £300 speakers was the flavour of the month, even the name sounded great, double-barrelled that only the gentry would buy, had to be good, got to be sound, right?
My student cash, nope my parents upkeep money was going to be offloaded into a worthwhile investment. I was so relieved to finally unload all this shiny copper and notes from my wallet.

These were much bigger, they looked really good and they had the Harmon-Kardon's pumping out the juice.

When you're a kid, you're always constantly seeking self-validation and you want to impress upon your peers.
Friends ask what you're playing at home, Oh I have Pioneer record player, Sansui twin cassette deck, take a breath, save the best to last, Oh my amp is Harmon-Kardon (that's one hyphen) and this is Gold (second hyphen) and Mordant-Shorts wired to Monster cable. Home run......Yes.

Oh how I rue the day. These were the biggest garbage money can buy. There was no sound stage, they were flat two dimensional and I couldn't ask for the Kefs back, as these were already part exchanged.

Though in fairness to MS, the HK's were a total mismatch. In a different setting, these probably would have sounded half decent.

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I've just purchased the WiiM Pro Plus (with the better DAC) from Amazon. Hopefully I'll receive it in the next few days.

You may ask why the purchase, when I already got Streamer Digital transport or the PC to stream my music?
Really it was just having the convenience, it's always there without having to mess around with the software.

My Streamer Digital Transport is Android base, so I have all the streamer apps but I need to switch over from the Music Library OS shell (default) each time I need to access the streamer apps and switch back again when I want to play my stored music collection on my DAC. For many people it's no big deal but I just like things to be permanently placed without having to fiddle about.

I know lazy so and so...:) and possibly an unnecessary purchase so it's really difficult to justify this as the best purchase, even though the Plus version is a mere £209 including remote?

This is not in keeping with my opening heading but I suppose, potentially it's great purchase in terms of absolute convenience?

Although WiiM Pro Plus DAC is very good, plays the highest Res PCM and DSD up to 512 (AKM chipset), I will nevertheless output the WiiM's coax to the Eversolo (Top end ESS chipset with 8xsampling), because both are effectively pre-amps. By opting for the Eversolo, the WiiM is also routed to the Singxer head amp and everything is in unison.
There's also the option to place the WiiM with the main HiFi in the lounge but it's likely it won't be used often enough. It's better to have it on permanent tap, because I like to listen to various podcasts on Spotify while I'm on my work lunch break.

Yes I love to have your thoughts on any HiFi purchases you made recently that you considered the best ever or the worse ever?

Oh, please a polite request and not to evoke the sensitive disposition of our delightful moderators, please could you refrain from the mention of cables (have I just unwittingly killed this thread?) :)
Thanks to information on another thread, my most recent and sensible purchase was £10 spent on eBay for a Chromecast audio ethernet adapter, brand new still in its box. I never even knew they were a thing. Going to buy another one next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
My Kef LS50 speakers, a new amp and Wiim Mini. The amp is an AudioLab but there’s lots of good amps about. The system just works.

My worst purchase is a pair of Sennheiser ear buds. They don’t block outside noise, wind noise is awful (weather not bowel) and the cable gets tangled every time I come to use it. Build quality and sound are fine. I’ve ordered leather ear pads for my Bose QC25. Why do brands sell headphones with cheap and nasty earpads that split, then break up into hundreds of black flakes?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Why do brands sell headphones with cheap and nasty earpads that split, then break up into hundreds of black flakes?
To get more money out of us🤨. Both me and my son had to replace the ear pads on our QC35's last year and mine don't get used that much. I also have a pair of Sony earphones that need the pads replacing. Knowing my luck as they are an old model I probably won't be able to get pads for them.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My Kef LS50 speakers, a new amp and Wiim Mini. The amp is an AudioLab but there’s lots of good amps about. The system just works.

My worst purchase is a pair of Sennheiser ear buds. They don’t block outside noise, wind noise is awful (weather not bowel) and the cable gets tangled every time I come to use it. Build quality and sound are fine. I’ve ordered leather ear pads for my Bose QC25. Why do brands sell headphones with cheap and nasty earpads that split, then break up into hundreds of black flakes?
I absolutely hate it when it flakes into tiny pieces, it gets inside your ear, inside your collar, side of cheek.
Ghastly, it looks nice when shiny and new but I try to avoid faux leather ear pads, They also create puddles of water. Fabric or ear foams every time.
😊

Reactions: Noddy

WayneKerr

Discovered the other day my Grado SR225 ear pads were disintegrating when I looked in the the mirror after wearing them and saw I had black side burns... they've been white for the last 15 years :) What a ruddy mess!

Reactions: JDL

record_spot

Most sensible?

Possibly those choices that moved away from traditional passive speakers to actives, adopting a more simplified route from source to output. I've slightly moved back to a more traditional approach by adding a (passive) switching box so I can use a turntable, CD player, blu-ray player and DAC into the AVI actives. And that's really the point of it for me - the most sensible approach is the one that gives you the most enjoyment. And to hang with all the theories!

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
To get more money out of us🤨. Both me and my son had to replace the ear pads on our QC35's last year and mine don't get used that much. I also have a pair of Sony earphones that need the pads replacing. Knowing my luck as they are an old model I probably won't be able to get pads for them.
Most mainstream makes have ear pads available. I didn‘t realise mine were flaking until I looked in the mirror today and saw I was covered in black bits.

Sennheiser have always lasted in my experience. I had to throw a kettle away when the handle went sticky. Some brands don’t seem to care beyond a couple of years. They are best avoided.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts