Cables Make No Difference - Thread for the people who think this is true to comment in

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So cables of different series resistance sound different?

TrevC said:
Vladimir said:
dim_span said:
thats what I found on my old system .... silver coated cable sounds different to copper cable ....?

Were they of the same AWG?

AWG? This is a UK forum. *biggrin* One thing is certain, two cables with the same series resistance will sound exactly the same whatever the metal.

TrevC

Speaker cables, yes. If the series resistance is too high the frequency response will track the impedance of the speaker. That's why thick wires are the fit and forget solution.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
For crying out loud....

We've covered this before - you cannot apply your science to selective bits in your reasoning no matter how small you perceive the electrical signal.

If series resistance differ can the sound be affected in the hifi chain?

From source to speaker.

TrevC said:
?

Speaker cables, yes. If the series resistance is too high the frequency response will track the impedance of the speaker. That's why thick wires are the fit and forget solution.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
For crying out loud....

We've covered this before - you cannot apply your science to selective bits in your reasoning no matter how small you perceive the electrical signal.

From source to speaker.

TrevC said:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Please try again.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
For crying out loud....

From source to speaker.

TrevC said:
I'm applying science to all of my reasoning. The fact that you don't understand it isn't my fault.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What???..... Yes you do. Follow the chain of quotes.

Long and short TrevC has made a statement that is plain stupid in the defence of his argument.

If cables with the same resistive properties sound the same question is do cables with differing qualities.

The gauge is irrelevant in that argument. if you have a cable of 5mm diameter with the same conductive properties (copper content) as one with
a 1mm diameter they should sound the same according to his argument.

If they don't have the same resistive qualities.... What's the argument now?

Broner said:
Thompsonuxb said:
For crying out loud....

From source to speaker.

TrevC said:
?

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Please try again.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If I understood Thompson correctly, he is saying if resistance is an audible factor, it remains an audible factor even when thick gauge is applied, simply because different metals, dielectrics and geometries continue to influence it. In addition, what everyone is forgeting is that a Hi-Fi system chain has more thin wires than thick wires, from source to amp, thus series resistance is a major factor all over.

I also think he was crying out loud.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
As usual TrevC you are not applying science to anything, just BS.

It is pointless to argue though as the only way to prove anything is for all to be present in the same place with a system and cables, and we can all have a listen.

Its the only way.

TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
For crying out loud....

From source to speaker.

TrevC said:
I'm applying science to all of my reasoning. The fact that you don't understand it isn't my fault.

?

TrevC

"As usual TrevC you are not applying science to anything, just BS.

It is pointless to argue though as the only way to prove anything is for all to be present in the same place with a system and cables, and we can all have a listen.

Its the only way".

By all means have a listen, but if you want the best possible sound use thick (low resistance) wire for your speakers. *biggrin*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol..... I tell you sometimes, you guys.

Vladimir said:
If I understood Thompson correctly, he is saying if resistance is an audible factor, it remains an audible factor even when thick gauge is applied, simply because different metals, dielectrics and geometries continue to influence it. In addition, what everyone is forgeting is that a Hi-Fi system chain has more thin wires than thick wires, from source to amp, thus series resistance is a major factor all over.?

I also think he was crying out loud. 

i know they can sound different, i have 4 different types of cables in my set-up. the cheapest being a gotham off ebay, and the dearest being a graham slee cable.

i have tried all cables on all seperates and have chosen the ones i think sound best with each component.

my favourite cable i have is Atlas,it is punchy, and crystal clear. the graham slee cable has slightly less treble, which calms sibilance a little on the turntable, and promotes bass . the best all-round cable i have is a JVC cable, cost around 25 quid, is made very well, and is the most balanced and neutral cable i have.

speaker cable, i have audioquest long grain copper, which i found to be a very good upgrade to the basic 4mm copper cable i had before.

i hope the negativity around cables doesn't put people off experimenting, not just with cables, but with speaker position, isolation, room acoustics, and anything else that can help you eek out that little bit more from your set-up. most of all, be happy with how your system sounds and enjoy your music.

TrevC

bigfish786 said:
i know they can sound different, i have 4 different types of cables in my set-up. the cheapest being a gotham off ebay, and the dearest being a graham slee cable.

i have tried all cables on all seperates and have chosen the ones i think sound best with each component.

my favourite cable i have is Atlas, this has the best all round sound, the graham slee cable has slightly less treble, which calms sibilance a little on the turntable, and promotes bass . the best all-round cable i have is a JVC cable, cost around 25 quid, is made very well, and is the most balanced and neutral cable i have.

speaker cable, i have audioquest long grain copper, which i found to be a very good upgrade to the basic 4mm copper cable i had before.

i hope the negativity around cables doesn't put people off experimenting, not just with cables, but with speaker position, isolation, room acoustics, and anything else that can help you eek out that little bit more from your set-up. most of all, be happy with how your system sounds and enjoy your music.

As long as you use low resistance wire for your speakers you'lll be fine. No need to buy expensive interconnects, an interconnect is entirely non-critical. Look at the interconnect used here in the budget system.

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:

"Long and short TrevC has made a statement that is plain stupid in the defence of his argument.

If cables with the same resistive properties sound the same question is do cables with differing qualities.

The gauge is irrelevant in that argument. if you have a cable of 5mm diameter with the same conductive properties (copper content) as one with a 1mm diameter they should sound the same according to his argument.

If they don't have the same resistive qualities.... What's the argument now?"

If the resistance of a speaker cable is too high your signal is dissipated in the wire as heat, which is most undesirable . On top of that the signal attenuation varies with frequency due to the varying speaker impedance with frequency. To minimize this, large gauge (low resistance) wire should be used.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So now all these factors matter.....lol

Signals dissipating, signal attenuation and all this in cables....ffs!

Oh boy.....:$

TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:

"Long and short TrevC has made a statement that is plain stupid in the defence of his argument.

The gauge is irrelevant in that argument. if you have a cable of 5mm diameter with the same conductive properties (copper content) as one with a 1mm diameter they should sound the same according to his argument.

If they don't have the same resistive qualities.... What's the argument now?"

If the resistance of a speaker cable is too high your signal is dissipated in the wire as heat, which is most undesirable . On top of that the signal attenuation varies with frequency due to the varying speaker impedance with frequency. To minimize this, large gauge wire should be used.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
The thing is what is a cable? it terms of is its just the metal of the cable which logic can easily be applied to how it will react and to be fair man has understood that a very long time or its the metal , the shielding, and the terminations? Clearly just a bare wire is not going to work very well so its fairly safe to assume that the terminations and shielding will have an impact on the way it performs.... just putting it out there

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
This.....

bigfish786 said:
i know they can sound different, i have 4 different types of cables in my set-up. the cheapest being a gotham off ebay, and the dearest being a graham slee cable.?

i have tried all cables on all seperates and have chosen the ones i think sound best with each component.?

my favourite cable i have is Atlas,it is punchy, and crystal clear. the graham slee cable has slightly less treble, which calms sibilance a little on the turntable, and promotes bass . the best all-round cable i have is a JVC cable, cost around 25 quid, is made very well, and is the most balanced and neutral cable i have.

speaker cable, i have audioquest long grain copper, which i found to be a very good upgrade to the basic 4mm copper cable i had before.?

Enjoy your music and your system and done be afraid to try stuff.

TrevC

kmlav said:
The thing is what is a cable? it terms of is its just the metal of the cable which logic can easily be applied to how it will react and to be fair man has understood that a very long time or its the metal , the shielding, and the terminations? Clearly just a bare wire is not going to work very well so its fairly safe to assume that the terminations and shielding will have an impact on the way it performs.... just putting it out there

A bare wire on a speaker will work just fine as long as it doesn't short, and the termination makes no difference as long as the connection is properly made. Shielding is only important on interconnects, it does nothing for speaker wires.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompson you believe you can hear the difference between copper and silver cables due to difference in metal resistance at same gauge and length.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/rstiv.html

Silver - 0.0000000159 ohms per meter.

Copper - 0.0000000168 ohms per meter.

Wow... LOL!

try it for yourself .... I heard differences on my previous system when switching between copper and silver speaker cables

use Prince's Purple Rain track and post here after you have tried the comparison

I could not hear differences when comparing speaker cables of the same type (copper vs copper and silver vs silver)...

until you have tried this comparison, you are merely 'speculating'

TRENDING THREADS