New Pana PXP 42 V20

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I've had it for only a few minutes. I've done some tweaking of the picture but may do more. Not totally happy so far. SD looks weaker (noiseier and perhaps there are some motion problems too) than on my old TV (still in my sig) and the sound - though I haven't had time to tweak it yet - is weak.

EDIT Coach Trip on More 4 looks OK.

EDIT The motion on a film on 5 just now looks...um...less than smooth to me. Otherwise the film looks quite good. I mean picture wise.

EDIT OK, Batman Begins looks the best I've seen it on BluRay. Now to have a look at the DVD to see if it looks less good.

Ah, no, maybe not, I flogged the DVD. Oh well, quick look at TDK on BluRay...And the bank scene was nice and crisp, shots of Chicago skyline are impressive, as are the red, purple, green and white of the Joker.

I've been more excited by purchases, I must admit.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just doesnt feel quite right. Seriously considering returning it. How much of an expletive deleted does that make me? And what would they do with a returned TV?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm bordering on irrational now. I half wish I'd kept me CRT way back when.

Right, if I get rid of the TV I think I'll actually be pretty relieved. However, I like the finish (rare for me with 2010 Panas) and the BluRay performance, and I'd like to investigate everything else it can do.

On the other hand, whilst I think the Yamaha 2200 (demoing it in the coming week I hope. The plan was to get if first and then think about TVs...) will help things even further (that rubbish sound...), should I get rid of it I'll be extra wary of looking for a 42" in the future!

And, well, if anything I'm moving away from HD. I don't buy many films, keep few of those I buy...I do rent BluRays instead of DVDs where possible, get a lot of films from film 4 (SD), but do not have Sky movies or sports in HD, have no wish for them, and am actually almost certainly going Freesat (not Freesat from Sky) in May.

Any thoughts...?

A

Anonymous

Just a quick question, how are you able to return it if you have used the product?

From what I have read, the V20 is a great set. Surprised that you haven't noticed the difference between the older pana set you have and the new one.

No flat panel TV will beat your CRT for SD material, however CRT Resolution is below 400 dpi, where as HD entry is 720p resolution, so if you stick to HD material (like myself, SKY Sports HD 1 -4) you'll never complain!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I should probably be ashamed of mmyself, yes, but I've doen the same thing with the same outlet before and they seemed OK with it.

I have seen differences, yes, but am not sure they are improvements, apart from with HD.

I have absolutely no intention of just watching HD. Clare said something similar about stereo listening the other day, about not listening only to hi res stuff I think...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
My head is turning to mulch.

A mate has just pointed out that I can see most of the stuff I watch regularly in HD anyway. This is an argument of course for keeping the new TV.

My issue with Sky is I record a lot of what I want to watch and see it later. And Sky have, for me, a history of lip sync issues with recorded HD material.

There is, however, a huge possibility I'll go Freesat in May. They may not have those issues, and the channels I'll get from them will be very similar to those I'm getting now.

So, I stay with this TV and make sure I see as much as possible in HD (as long as I'm not watching stuff I don't like just because of it being in HD), and get the benefit of 42 inches of full HD screen with BluRays (and decent DVD picture to boot)...OR I go back to the PX80B. 37” of HD ready screen with better SD performance, but slightly lesser HD performance, and save £800.00...*

*This is assuming I return it to the shop and get a full refund. I'm reluctant to do this as I have done it before, and I do not think they are obliged to take it back just because I'm not liking it. The chances are I would sell it on and make a loss, but as small a loss as possible.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
37 to 42 not much of a big diffreence in size. I actually find the Full hd sets have better picture for SD than HD ready sets.maybe its down to size.try sitting a bit further away? and just a bit closer on Blu.rays maybe. only you know. I am actually like you,hate to spend money when I am not fully satisfied.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh, that was an old Panny LCD a few years ago, and there were more reasons than just its performance involved in my decision ot return that one.

Yes, I don't really know what the 50 Herz thing is about.

kissmeraas

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ASSUMING you're using THX or Professional Mode on sensible settings and you've disabled every bit of extra processing including Intelligent Frame Creation in Professional Mode (IFC - found in the "set-up" menu rather than "picture" settings)...

...Then from personal experience I can almost guarantee what's bothering you is "the 50 Hertz thing".

Basically, these Panasonic TVs are designed to work optimally in countries who use 60Hz signals for their television programming, ie USA and Asia.

When fed 50Hz signals (ie our telly programmes) you get more obvious false contouring & flickering, loss of resolution in movement and flashes of colour around trailing edges of moving objects. Even if you haven't noticed these specifically (painfully obvious to me, even before I'd heard about the issue - I'm now convinced most TV reviewers are legally blind), they will at the very least make the picture look soft, unfocussed, or just plain "wrong".

That's why Blu-Rays look so good by comparison - they work at 24Hz worldwide so the TV was designed to work with 24Hz signals, therefore there's no issue.

In my opinion, Panasonic should not be allowed to sell these models as "televisions" in this (50Hz) country when they are not even designed to be fit for purpose.
emotion-12.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Al, why aren't you using the THX picture preset? Without the expense of ISF calibration, the THX preset is the most accurate.

I'm intrigued by your comments above, as I'm considering grabbing one of these while they're still available. How is your Sky box connected to the TV (presumbly you're not using an analogue connection)?

Also, have you tried connecting your satellite cable directly to the TV to see how it fares with Freesat? I wonder if the picture quality would improve using one of the TV's integrated tuners?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
HDMI throughout sir!

I've arranged for it to go back, but the guy told me where the intelligent frame creation is so I turned it off and he said if I change me mind I shoould let him know of course.

I may yet change my mind. There are plusses, as I think i mentioned in my longe post above.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Al,

If you're not happy, of course you're right to return it.

I'd see how you get on using the THX picture preset; and viewing images via the Freesat tuner.

It was a little disconcerting to read your comments, as I'd almost talked myself into buying one. As I've had no direct experience with this television, it's useful to take on board the experiences of others.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hey, the styling i sgreat, it swivels, its good with HD* and BluRays.

THX looks a bit dark to me so far...

*And some will find they can watch most their regular progs in HD, even with no HD subscription. A good deal of what I watch regularly is available in HD for free., and I'm considering going Freesat soon, but I'm repeating myself now.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd add my voice to those suggesting you try out Freesat right now. You have the dish, you have the integrated Freesat HD tuner - no reason (when your Sky box isn't recording anything!) you can't plug your satellite feed directly into your set and have a play....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I'd add my voice to those suggesting you try out Freesat right now. You have the dish, you have the integrated Freesat HD tuner - no reason (when your Sky box isn't recording anything!) you can't plug your satellite feed directly into your set and have a play....

And I'm being relatively selfish in asking you to do this, as this would be how I access broadcast content. I do wonder, however, whether you'd be pleasantly surprised by the results? As you say, you might give Sky the elbow, so it makes sense to find out if you'd be happy with the alternative...

As Clare says, you've nothing to lose!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I'd add my voice to those suggesting you try out Freesat right now. You have the dish, you have the integrated Freesat HD tuner - no reason (when your Sky box isn't recording anything!) you can't plug your satellite feed directly into your set and have a play....

OK, can you give me a quick rundown of why and how?

If the TV's inbuilt tuner is better, that will confuse me further in a way as if I make the change to Freesat I was going to get a recording Freesat box like that £300 Humax...

Thanks Clare and all for the thoughts.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
al7478:

OK, can you give me a quick rundown of why and how?

If the TV's inbuilt tuner is better, that will confuse me further in a way as if I make the change to Freesat I was going to get a recording Freesat box like that £300 Humax...

Thanks Clare and all for the thoughts.

Bear in mind, Al, that you can plug an external hard drive into the V20, enabling you to pause, rewind and record TV. Admittedly, this only turns the TV into a single tuner PVR, but it's a cheap way to gain this functionality (you can buy an external hard drive, with greater storage capacity, for considerbaly less money than a Humax PVR).

Just a thought; and you'd save on your Sky subscription...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
And sorry, Al, you asked how to do this.

Simply unscrew the cable running from your dish to the Sky box and connect this cable to the thread input on the back of the V10. Then go to the V10's tuning menu, select the Freesat auto-tune option, and away you go. Tuning takes a couple of mins; and then you can decide if you're happier with the picture.
emotion-21.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much!

I can't physically do it on my own so will have to wait til I can draft in help, but I shall try to give it a go comfortably before Friday.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
No problem! Let us know how you get on. My finger has been hovering nervously over the "add to basket" option on a reputable retailer's website for the last few hours...

Can anyone comment whether this represents a worthwhile upgrade over my 42G10? Problem is, I can't audition a V10 anywhere nearby (most retailers no longer stock the V10, since it's end of the line stock).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Worth adding that your Sky+ HD box has two feeds in from your dish, so you can (if cable lengths allow) even leave one in place to your Sky box while running the second direct into your TV, as detailed above.

In that way, you can also do a direct A/B comparison between the same channels via Freesat and Sky.

TRENDING THREADS