New Pana PXP 42 V20

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the ifc on the v20 is pants al, it makes motion seem robotic and introduces artifacts, i never had it turned on...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As far as I understand, with IFC turned off, the V20 only scans at 50Hz. Is that correct? If so, this seems a downward step from last year's G and V ranges (not that this automatically means the V20 is worse with motion than my older G10).

What was it that convinced you to trade yours in, Max?

EDIT: obviously I appreciate that IFC isn't actually 600Hz scanning.

A

Anonymous

I ran a third cable from the dish to the TV for freesat as a backup if the Sky box went kaput (which it did last week, but at least we had Freesat for 3 days instead of nothing, while waiting for a replacement).

I have to say the picture with Freesat is a lot better than Sky. Even SD is better.

So why is the picture quality so different?

Same signal from the same dish!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK the Sky box is working again after a fashion (um...problem with the power lead
emotion-10.gif
), but the menu has gone. So, I told it to search for listings again and it's taking a very long time.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Had a feeling someone would say that. Trying it right now. Thanks.

EDIT Searching for listings again.

EDIT No, back to "No satelite signal is being received".

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you're having a nightmare doing a direct Sky to Freesat comparison! Hope you resolve your problems soon.

What do you think of the picture on Freesat? Is the image any more stable? Is it punchier? How are you finding the V20 with motion?

I'm agonising over whether to purchase a 42V20, but you seem underwhelmed by its performance. I'd love to know your thoughts after owning the set for a few days.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Since I turned the intelligent frame creation off, the motion has improved a fair bit I'd say.

I think I'm still underwhelmed with the SD performance. Even some HD doesn't look great to me, so I guess it's upscaled SD.

I could still go either way, as it may be worth the trade off if I watch as much as possible in HD. On the other hand, I feel it may be more ethical to tell the shop I'll keep it and then, well, not keep it, if I'm still not convinced.

EDIT In fairness to the TV and all involved, there may well just be soem nerves here associated with having spent a lot at a time when i wasnt planning to.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't let ethics cloud your judgement on this particular issue, al...

If you can't live with the TV, have a polite chat with the retailer and see what they suggest. They might offer an agreeable solution.

On a different note, I find IFC can work well with some HD broadcasts, but certainly not with sport (vanishing balls, anyone?). Motion looks extremely unnatural viewing SD content with IFC engaged.

Admittedly that's on my G10, so your experiences may be different with the V20. It might be worth experimenting with different settings during the Spurs game tonight on ITV1HD.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You don't sound like someone who's happy with their purchase. I think you've already made your mind up; in which case, fine tuning settings and switching cables won't dramatically change your opinion.

The only other consideration is that plasma displays generally produce better images once they've had time to bed in (I'm sure you already know this), but again I wouldn't expect radical improvements.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You're a night owl like me then, al!

I recall pictures on my G10 looked a bit ropey out of the box, but things improved after a few weeks use. The difference wasn't night and day, however.

How are you finding motion with Freesat broadcasts now you've disengaged IFC?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
What's happened to the site? I don't like change. And people's names are much less prominent.

Yes the motion has improved a fair bit as I say. I still sometiems think I've noticed something like smudging or a quick jump, but it was much more obvious before.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers al.

Sounds like you're warming to the set. Motion is my biggest concern before I take the plunge. While I appreciate there are problems with motion when displaying 50Hz content, if these problems are minor I think I can live with them (if other areas of performance markedly improve on the picture from my G10). Especially as the 42V20 can be bought for a stonking price now.

It's my birthday soon, so a new TV sounds like the perfect present!

EDIT: I'm also not sure about the new site aesthetic, though it's perhaps a work in progress...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK, I've called and told them I'm keeping it.

Yes, I acted too soon in buying it, like an over excited child. Yes, I think my old TV handled SD better.

However, it isn't that much worse considering it is bigger and Full HD. Indeed as I've said, some SD is better than other SD. The same thing was true on a CRT it was jsut less noticeable. The HD and BluRay performance are both very good. Also, the adaptations in thinking I'm having to amke are the same as when I got my last TV, just a little more so, and I spent ages considering the last one, and it was so highly reccommended by people here.

The guy I spoke to gave me a quick explanation of the 50Hz thing, saying it scans x times and you end up with 600Hz or summat...safe to say there is a lot of room between my head and his explanation...

And I can always flog it without guilt now, should I choose to.

I guess the only way to be entirely happy is for everything to be in HD, or for TVs to get much better with SD, neither of which seems likely to happen any time soon.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Glad you're happier, al!

You haven't mentioned any problems with floating blacks (i.e. noticeable shifts in contrast), so I assume this isn't a problem on your set (V20s manufactured later in 2010 seem to suffer less from this issue, or not at all).

Adjusting to a new television can often take a while (especially one using technology you're not used to). Hope you enjoy it!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I have sometimes thought the screen looks dark, but think maybe thats just better blacks that I need to get used to. Soem of this terminology is new to me so I'm not too sure about floating blacks...

I did have a plasma before this one, by the way ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts