my panasonic 50v20 review ...

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The motion issues sound like the same problem I had with my first G20. I had it on all inputs though. I bought mine from Costco and just took it back. I didn't really have to explain the issue. They just checked the tv serial number against that on the receipt. I think they have a policy where they refund you, and you buy a new item to replace your existing. Mine was around a week old.

I took my second G20 back last week again with no problems. I'd had it for 9 days.

I now have a Sony 46HX703 and are really happy. I've settled back down to enjoying watching tv rather than gritting my teeth and clenching my fists at the various problems with the tv.

Whilst the blacks may not be quite as deep as a plasma they are very good and motion is spot on. The motion plus setting is very subtle so we use it for sd Sky+ viewing but not for dvd/bd. No backlight bleeding or clouding as of yet (5 nights).

A

Anonymous

If i have any hassle, reaching the inevitible conclusion that is a full refund, from said panasonic engineer, then ill go elswhere for a new tv..

Max i'm shocked, what do you intend to buy if the worst comes worst?

A

Anonymous

greymack:
If i have any hassle, reaching the inevitible conclusion that is a full refund, from said panasonic engineer, then ill go elswhere for a new tv..

Max i'm shocked, what do you intend to buy if the worst comes worst?
lg50pk350 or sony 46ex503..

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:
The motion issues sound like the same problem I had with my first G20. I had it on all inputs though. I bought mine from Costco and just took it back. I didn't really have to explain the issue. They just checked the tv serial number against that on the receipt. I think they have a policy where they refund you, and you buy a new item to replace your existing. Mine was around a week old.

I took my second G20 back last week again with no problems. I'd had it for 9 days.

I now have a Sony 46HX703 and are really happy. I've settled back down to enjoying watching tv rather than gritting my teeth and clenching my fists at the various problems with the tv.

Whilst the blacks may not be quite as deep as a plasma they are very good and motion is spot on. The motion plus setting is very subtle so we use it for sd Sky+ viewing but not for dvd/bd. No backlight bleeding or clouding as of yet (5 nights).
i was watching a friends sony 46v4000 yday , obviously the picture was not in the v20s league, but even without 100hz, motion was smooth, very little judder with panning shots, ill check out sony when i get my refund..

A

Anonymous

I would have got another Samsung 46C750 but the wife didn't like the fact that it didn't have an on/off switch. The 3d was a bit pants though with lot sof crosstalk on the stuff I watched. Then again I noticed a lot of crosstalk on the Panasonic VT 50 & 65 as well as their 105" demo at The Gadget Show live.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I have a feeling this one's going to run and run...
hope not..

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

gel, you dont have to accept them charging you £290..

the people that said your tv wasnt acceptable, were they panasonic engineers?

did they say the tv is not fit for purpose? if so you are entitled to a full refund..

They were from the shop i bought the tv from.

Yep they all said it looked bad and i would be able to have a full refund.

A

Anonymous

ooof the ex503, good set..........thats not as good as the V20 though, so you may be a little disappointed esp the blacks

A

Anonymous

I have the ex503 which replaced my faulty XW4500 under warranty, all i can say is its ok, nothing special, i think the XW4500 was better actually from memory.

Ironically im looking to change it for a 50VT20, but after some mixed views im now in two minds

A

Anonymous

if i get the service i expect from panasonic, then ill get another v20, its what i would prefer, but if i get grief, how could i chance another one? then, ill defect
emotion-60.gif

yea the sony, possibly the lg 350, much less money, and i could get a high end tv next year..

no, not in the v20 league john, but not much is..

i dont want to get a cheap 3d set, the samsung 46c750 is a couple of hundred more than the ex503, and id need a 3d blu-ray player then, before i know it ill be buying silly 3d cartoons
emotion-3.gif

na, ex503 or lg350 methinks..

A

Anonymous

It all depends on how you view it. The Samsung 46C750 is the top of the range non led, lcd set. As you have said yourself the 3d is a bonus. The EX503 might not have as good a blacks but I bet you notice more detail in the image. On my HX I can see far more details in bd images. For example in Toy Story 2 the textures on Mr Potato Head and Andy's bedroom wall are clearer in more shots than on the G20. For me the lack of phosphor trailing maore than makes up for any black levels.

I'm surprised by how good the region 1 copy of The Abyss looks on the Sony. It's a non anamorphic NTSC disc. It was being fed via component from a non scaling dvd player.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:i was watching a friends sony 46v4000 yday , obviously the picture was not in the v20s league, but even without 100hz, motion was smooth, very little judder with panning shots, ill check out sony when i get my refund..

After all youve said your looking at a Sony?

I tell you what max, your fun to read

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
maxflinn:i was watching a friends sony 46v4000 yday , obviously the picture was not in the v20s league, but even without 100hz, motion was smooth, very little judder with panning shots, ill check out sony when i get my refund..

After all youve said your looking at a Sony?

I tell you what max, your fun to read
rick, have you not got some electricity to be tending to
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

I must admit I didn't want a Sony initialy after all the issues over the last couple of years. After the glowing reviews in the last 2 issues of whf I thought I'd take the plunge. I think the HX is great. Sure Samsung internet@tv is better and the facility to record onto a usb hard drive like the Samsung and Panasonic would be nice. Mrs NSY likes it's looks and the fact that it is one big even surface across the front means there is no little 'dust ledge' along the top edge of the frame where it meets the screen. The way each input can have it's own unique settings is a good feature also. Set them all up in common then tweak each one to suit. Not sure about the standby button on the back of the remote though.

I've probably tempted fate now and will suffer from all sorts of ills with this tv knowing my luck.

A

Anonymous

gel:maxflinn:

gel, you dont have to accept them charging you £290..

the people that said your tv wasnt acceptable, were they panasonic engineers?

did they say the tv is not fit for purpose? if so you are entitled to a full refund..

They were from the shop i bought the tv from.

Yep they all said it looked bad and i would be able to have a full refund.
a full refund is all the money you paid, accept nothing less gel..

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:
I must admit I didn't want a Sony initialy after all the issues over the last couple of years. After the glowing reviews in the last 2 issues of whf I thought I'd take the plunge. I think the HX is great. Sure Samsung internet@tv is better and the facility to record onto a usb hard drive like the Samsung and Panasonic would be nice. Mrs NSY likes it's looks and the fact that it is one big even surface across the front means there is no little 'dust ledge' along the top edge of the frame where it meets the screen. The way each input can have it's own unique settings is a good feature also. Set them all up in common then tweak each one to suit. Not sure about the standby button on the back of the remote though.

I've probably tempted fate now and will suffer from all sorts of ills with this tv knowing my luck.

if i get a refund i could get the 46in ex503 and be left with e600 euro, still a nice tv, id probably sell it in a year and buy a top plasma, or i could get the lg350 and be left with around e850, again as a stop gap till next year..

i know neither will be v20 class, but i think i could be happy with either for a year once they were problem free, i just dont want to get another v20 and find the same issues, its not as easy to reject tvs here in ireland, i wish at this point that id kept my g10
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

some news..

the helpful salesman in harvey normans rang, he explained that if the panasonic engineer comes up from cork, looks at the tv and says there is nothing wrong with it, that it could cost me up to e500
emotion-3.gif

so he said he will either swap the v20 for another, or give me a full refund, i opted for the refund, but i just have to wait till friday till his boss gets back and ok's it..

in the meantime ill take stock and consider my options, which still include buying another v20, ill get a lend of a pana 22in crt from my mum on friday, ill need binoculars
emotion-11.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
gel:... I had to pay a call out charge first time for mine, even though i paid for installation and set up but the picture kept breaking up but they changed the wall aerial and stop it from breaking up constantly.

Currently i am down £106 also the £290 they are now saying...

Whoa! That's weapons'-grade tosh!
emotion-39.gif

Gel, do y'self a favour, mate - call Consumer Direct ASAP and seek its advice: 08454 04 05 06
emotion-2.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:... i could get the 46in ex503 ... id probably sell it in a year and buy a top plasma, or i could get the lg350 ... again as a stop gap till next year...
Thinking along exactly the same lines m'self
emotion-21.gif

But the 50in PK990 is also in the mix, as it can be had for c. £999
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Max might have worked for the NME. build them then knock them down.

A

Anonymous

guys, just to be clear, the tv sat in front of me has the best picture ive ever seen, but it unfortunately has motion issues, im sure most dont, and i still think panasonic make the best tv's, im sure ill buy one next year, but for now, im gonna try something new, and save a bit of money
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

6th.replicant:gel:... I had to pay a call out charge first time for mine, even though i paid for installation and set up but the picture kept breaking up but they changed the wall aerial and stop it from breaking up constantly.

Currently i am down £106 also the £290 they are now saying...

Whoa! That's weapons'-grade tosh!
emotion-39.gif
Gel, do y'self a favour, mate - call Consumer Direct ASAP and seek its advice: 08454 04 05 06
emotion-2.gif

Cheers Mate
emotion-21.gif
i think i will.

A

Anonymous

Wow! thats one big digital photo frame you've got there then. I feel inadequate now mine is only 7.5".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts