my panasonic 50v20 review ...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi there , i have had this tv for just under a week now , and im very impressed with it . its got all the connections you could need , including 4 hdmi ports , two usb ports etc ..

the tv comes with a wireless dongle , i put this into one of the usb ports and configured it with my wireless router , this was very easily done . the tv then informed me that it didnt have the latest firmware on board , and gave me the option to update which i did , it took about 3 minutes , then once i restarted the tv , it was done..

so i could then select viera cast , which is a bit gimmicky really , the only thing i might use is the you tube app , it works quite well and the picture , even once upscaled to the 1080p screen was quite good on the whole , although the usual home vids filmed with mobile phones looked pants , as you would expect ..

there are 8 picture presets , dynamic (which should never be used really) , normal , cinema , thx , game , photo , professional 1 , and finally professional 2.. its very simple to select one , just press menu , then picture , and select which one , i found the thx setting to be excellent , aswell as professional 1 and 2 , more tvs should come with these highly accurate pre-settings , they can be fined tuned to suit the pickiest videophiles , but for many (me included) thx is all you would ever want for movies , its just brilliant..however when watching in the daytime , i use professional 1 with the brightness and contrast turned up a touch to suit ..

so onto picture quality , well normal sd tv looks very good , as good as i have seen it on any tv really , lovely deep blacks , a very clean , natural picture , full of detail , with very good motion , i keep the tvs motion processing (ifc) turned off at all times , it isnt needed.. i use a humax foxsat hd box , which i let upscale the picture , leaving the tv upscale makes no difference to the picture . the tv obviously has freesat and freeview hd , but i dont get freeview hd in my area , and the coaxial cable coming from my sat dish doesnt currently stretch to the far left of the v20 where the input is , so i use the humax . as is the case with all hdtvs , the sd picture varies depending on the quality of the channel , bbc1 , bbc2 , five , film 4 etc all look excellent , itv4 , itv2 etc look ok , but could look better , but thats not the fault of the tv ..

so dvds , upscaled by my sony bdp-s363 , well they look fantastic on the whole , the same rule applies that the picture quality is source dependant , ie , some high quality dvds look almost as good as a blu-ray , (rambo , training day , etc) whilst some only look average , but again this is not the fault of the tv , which is capable of a brilliant , clean , natural , punchy , detailed image , with great motion and blacks , shadow detail etc , when the dvd is of high quality ..

so onto the real important aspect of any modern tvs performance , high definition . well this is where i have been blown away , using thx mode with the lights dimmed , this tv is simply sensational with hd , blu-rays look stunning on this set , the sense of depth and realism while watching avatar is almost 3d like , the black levels are the best i have seen along with those of the pioneer kuro ,( which unfortunately i didnt have at hand to do a side by side comparism) the level of detail is simply staggering , the best i have ever seen on any tv , the shadow detail is so good , you can see all of what you are meant to see in a dark scene , every gradient and layer of dark detail is evident, no tv bar the kuro and the vt20 can match this . motion is perfect , there is the option of turning on the ifc which is called 24p smooth while watching a blu-ray , but this makes the motion look unrealistic , like it was filmed with a video camera , and should not be used , as it simply is not needed on this tv . colour also is spot on , using thx mode its near perfect , while watching avatar with a few friends , none of us could believe just how good the image this tv creates is , it just bursts froim the screen , its on another level , and is in another league to anything (bar the kuro , vt20) that i have seen , the sharpness is also breathtakingly good , razor sharp , yet the picture never looks digital , false or computerised , like some lcds , it always looks realistic and natural , organic if you like ..

the sound is ok , similar to other flatscreen tvs i have had before , but i , as many will do , have external sound so its irrelevant . i think the fact that this tv can be got for less than £1500 makes it the best pound for pound tv on sale today , and along with the vt20 , the best tv on sale full stop ..

edit...i have since come across an apparent issue with motion on 50hz material , i didnt notice it for a few weeks , but now i have seen it , its sometimes quite distracting ..

also , the ifc (intelligent frame creation) on this tv is too false looking , and introduces artifacts , this is not good news as it is sometimes needed to counteract the above issues ..

edit... here is a picture ..

DSC00198.jpg

[;)]..

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Toodlepip

Excellent review there
emotion-21.gif
i have just got one too i currently have mine in dynamic but that's is because i like the bright images also i find it looks excellent for blu ray but i am having someone from my local home cinema shop get the balance for me right next week because sometimes it can be too over powering.

I will try and upload a picture of it so you can see, also bigboss and Max have asked to see it and some other people might like to see it as well so here goes.

D

Deleted member 2457

Wow it looks quite tidy as well - i'm impressed
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I also have the 50V20 and overall I'm impressed with the image. My only gripe is on areas of white, like a cloudy sky for example there are patches of green. Has anyone else experienced this?

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:I'm sure max will get to see your pictures, gel...

Do you think? do you know something i don't Andrew?

The tv don't look to bad on my stand it slightly overlaps but everyone keeps assuring me it's fine, weight limit is 70kg i am roughly on 65kg i think without cables.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm actually impressed how neat it looks on the stand. With no reference to scale in the photo it doesn't look like a 50" screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

NSYGrinner:I'm actually impressed how neat it looks on the stand. With no reference to scale in the photo it doesn't look like a 50" screen.

It is a full size av stand and it overlaps it 6cm both sides optimum av300 you look up the dimensions on the optimum stand, often on here tvs do not look as big as they are.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:

Toodlepip....are you max? Why don't you go back to maxflinn & delete the toodlepip profile?

Great TV you've got there!
emotion-21.gif

Your joking, right Andrew? that is not Max is it?

He does have a similar way of writing know.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel:
NSYGrinner:I'm actually impressed how neat it looks on the stand. With no reference to scale in the photo it doesn't look like a 50" screen.

It is a full size av stand and it overlaps it 6cm both sides optimum av300 you look up the dimensions on the optimum stand, often on here tvs do not look as big as they are.

Just had a look online. Very nice looking stand. Will add to shortlist once I can get a tv that I like sorted.

A

Anonymous

Back to op. Good review always nice to read peoples views in normal usage situations. I'm glad you're impressed with the set.

D

Deleted member 2457

emotion-21.gif
NSYGrinner:gel:

Just had a look online. Very nice looking stand. Will add to shortlist once I can get a tv that I like sorted.

The reason i have gone for this stand is my centre speaker is massive it is designed probaly for wall mounting but with optimum stnad you can customise the heights of the legs to how you like. i have on the bottom shelf a 12 and a half inch leg and on the second shelf another 12 and a half inch leg so it is quite tall but you can have a smaller second shelf if you center speaker is smaller but it is very handy because it allows for differnet things and now tvs have come down it weight it has allowed me to have a 50inch tv something i did not think would be possilbe when i bought it.

It is a gorgeous stand.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

O My God he has the same blu ray player as Max as well
emotion-3.gif
i am freaked out.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
toodlepip:

hi there , i have had this tv for just under a week now , and im very impressed with it . its got all the connections you could need , including 4 hdmi ports , two usb ports etc ..

the tv comes with a wireless dongle , i put this into one of the usb ports and configured it with my wireless router , this was very easily done . the tv then informed me that it didnt have the latest firmware on board , and gave me the option to update which i did , it took about 3 minutes , then once i restarted the tv , it was done..

so i could then select viera cast , which is a bit gimmicky really , the only thing i might use is the you tube app , it works quite well and the picture , even once upscaled to the 1080p screen was quite good on the whole , although the usual home vids filmed with mobile phones looked pants , as you would expect ..

there are 8 picture presets , dynamic (which should never be used really) , normal , cinema , thx , game , photo , professional 1 , and finally professional 2.. its very simple to select one , just press menu , then picture , and select which one , i found the thx setting to be excellent , aswell as professional 1 and 2 , more tvs should come with these highly accurate pre-settings , they can be fined tuned to suit the pickiest videophiles , but for many (me included) thx is all you would ever want for movies , its just brilliant..however when watching in the daytime , i use professional 1 with the brightness and contrast turned up a touch to suit ..

so onto picture quality , well normal sd tv looks very good , as good as i have seen it on any tv really , lovely deep blacks , a very clean , natural picture , full of detail , with very good motion , i keep the tvs motion processing (ifc) turned off at all times , it isnt needed.. i use a humax foxsat hd box , which i let upscale the picture , leaving the tv upscale makes no difference to the picture . the tv obviously has freesat and freeview hd , but i dont get freeview hd in my area , and the coaxial cable coming from my sat dish doesnt currently stretch to the far left of the v20 where the input is , so i use the humax . as is the case with all hdtvs , the sd picture varies depending on the quality of the channel , bbc1 , bbc2 , five , film 4 etc all look excellent , itv4 , itv2 etc look ok , but could look better , but thats not the fault of the tv ..

so dvds , upscaled by my sony bdp-s363 , well they look fantastic on the whole , the same rule applies that the picture quality is source dependant , ie , some high quality dvds look almost as good as a blu-ray , (rambo , training day , etc) whilst some only look average , but again this is not the fault of the tv , which is capable of a brilliant , clean , natural , punchy , detailed image , with great motion and blacks , shadow detail etc , when the dvd is of high quality ..

so onto the real important aspect of any modern tvs performance , high definition . well this is where i have been blown away , using thx mode with the lights dimmed , this tv is simply sensational with hd , blu-rays look stunning on this set , the sense of depth and realism while watching avatar is almost 3d like , the black levels are the best i have seen along with those of the pioneer kuro ,( which unfortunately i didnt have at hand to do a side by side comparism) the level of detail is simply staggering , the best i have ever seen on any tv , the shadow detail is so good , you can see all of what you are meant to see in a dark scene , every gradient and layer of dark detail is evident, no tv bar the kuro and the vt20 can match this . motion is perfect , there is the option of turning on the ifc which is called 24p smooth while watching a blu-ray , but this makes the motion look unrealistic , like it was filmed with a video camera , and should not be used , as it simply is not needed on this tv . colour also is spot on , using thx mode its near perfect , while watching avatar with a few friends , none of us could believe just how good the image this tv creates is , it just bursts froim the screen , its on another level , and is in another league to anything (bar the kuro , vt20) that i have seen , the sharpness is also breathtakingly good , razor sharp , yet the picture never looks digital , false or computerised , like some lcds , it always looks realistic and natural , organic if you like ..

the sound is ok , similar to other flatscreen tvs i have had before , but i , as many will do , have external sound so its irrelevant . i think the fact that this tv can be got for less than £1500 makes it the best pound for pound tv on sale today , and along with the vt20 , the best tv on sale full stop ..

I do not want to go into any speculation about who you are, but this is an excellent review
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:
Hi Toodlepip

Excellent review there
emotion-21.gif
i have just got one too i currently have mine in dynamic but that's is because i like the bright images also i find it looks excellent for blu ray but i am having someone from my local home cinema shop get the balance for me right next week because sometimes it can be too over powering.

I will try and upload a picture of it so you can see, also bigboss and Max have asked to see it and some other people might like to see it as well so here goes.

PICTURE REMOVED DUE TO GELIRIGHT REASONS....

very nice mr gel
emotion-1.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

By Golly i have seen quite a few things on here Max but i think you are clearing it by a country mile and then some.

and Toodlepip what a name to pick i am offiicially speachless.

So are you staying with Toodlepip now then or going back to Max?

PS Congrats on your new tv

A

Anonymous

thanks gel , i was going to keep my g10 , but i got a good offer for it , so said what the heck , im delighted with the v20 its very very good , and i wont be changing it for at least two years
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I'm sure max will get to see your pictures, gel...
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
Toodlepip....are you max? Why don't you go back to maxflinn & delete the toodlepip profile?

Great TV you've got there!
emotion-21.gif

emotion-11.gif
.. thanks bb ...

A

Anonymous

Toodlepip,

Great review. What distance are you sitiing from the tv? And I'm guesing you have no issues with SD upscaling at that distance?

Pauled

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
pauled if you go onto the sony website it will give you proper viewing distance information check it out and must say the quality is outstanding whilst watching crank 2 it looked wicked have seen it on other tellys but the quality on the v20 was just hard to beat check it out.

Toodlepip?
emotion-60.gif

A

Anonymous

have you tweeked the brightness and contrast up on THX mode or have you left all as is?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts