New Pana PXP 42 V20

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi al,

It's an external hard drive you'd be after, rather than a Freesat box.

Buffalo JustStore hard drives are compatible with the V20 (£50 for a 1tb version).

You connect this to one of your V20's USB ports and your TV becomes a single tuner PVR (you can then pause, rewind and record TV).

It's a great investment, in my opinion. You'd have twice the recording capacity of the most expensive Humax Freesat PVR; and it's dinky, too, so could sit easily out of sight.

If I buy a V20, I'll immediately invest and begin building a collection of HD recorded content!

Hope that helps...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK I'll look into those HDDs, thanks.

Though I wonder if a Freesat box would confer advantages such as picture in picture, and just generally have a better interface/epg...? Though I admit it feels silly on teh face of it to spend £300 when £50 would do...

EDIT I currently use a Deagate Free Agent 2.5" external for backups etc so I may well see if I can find a bigger capacity (though mine is 500 gig as it is) as they are very dinky indeed.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
For "Deagate" read Seagate of course. Just tried to edit that but the rest of my post appeared, but the first edit ddin't appear with it, so I could not edit my edit. No one had replied by that point.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd try out the HDD you already own (obviously backing up any data stored on it elsewhere).

Not all external hard drives are compatible with Panasonic's 2010 TVs, so you may have to buy the Buffalo HDD referenced above (this is the HDD Panasonic states you should use to avoid compatibility problems).

Based on my understanding, once you connect the HDD the V20 will automatically format it for use as a recorder. If the TV does this without any problems, I guess you're good to go...

TRENDING THREADS