My Sony KDL46HX853 review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
DistortedVision said:
Glad its not just me that finds Jason Bradbury incredibly annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if The Gadget Show got axed after this current series.

Yep most annoying man on tv for me, along with Jonathan Ross...both of them are just pointless presenters and just annoy the hell out of me. This current format of The Gadget Show can't last surely? I've tried to watch 2 episodes and just found myself doing something else whilst it's on, it just becomes background noise whlist I browse the net or read a magazine or something...time to put the nail in the coffin imo.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I've started watching football regularly over the past couple of weeks (after the new Sky box arrived) and there is definite slight banding when the camera pans on the pitch, which is slightly irritating as the TV is perfect in all other respects. From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be consistent across most of the Model/sizes, so I'm going to live with it. I was actually looking for it as well as a result of other people's comments on various forums, which probably didn't help.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
I've started watching football regularly over the past couple of weeks (after the new Sky box arrived) and there is definite slight banding when the camera pans on the pitch, which is slightly irritating as the TV is perfect in all other respects. From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be consistent across most of the Model/sizes, so I'm going to live with it. I was actually looking for it as well as a result of other people's comments on various forums, which probably didn't help.

Well i'm well aware of banding and what it looks like and can confirm my set has no banding atall even when watching the footie, banding is considered a fault at manufacture so I would be inclined to return the tv for a replacement as any amount of banding is unacceptable to me as there is nothing you can do to eliminate the problem as it's simply an issue with the backlight at manufacture. As you say, it's a real shame as the tv is simply excellent if you get a good example...quality control seems to be an issue with far too many 2012 tvs and i'm sure this is where the problems lay.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is banding or DSE. I'm just aware of some slight vertical shadows on fast panning football shots. I can't see it on any other viewing apart from football, so I'm inclined to keep it for the time being.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
I'm not sure if it is banding or DSE. I'm just aware of some slight vertical shadows on fast panning football shots. I can't see it on any other viewing apart from football, so I'm inclined to keep it for the time being.

It's DSE you are seeing. Mine is the same...some slight patchy dirty areas can be seen on the pitch if it's one shade of green when watching the footie, it's not banding as you see this on a static white screen (I have a test pattern disc that I use to test for this as it has a plain white test pattern) and if banding is present you see vertical dark or grey shaded lines that indicate banding. I've done the test and it's not banding but there is definately some DSE present, strangely, like yourself it only becomes an issue when watching the footie and at all other times it's not a problem...very strange.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
mikey2008 said:

It's DSE you are seeing. Mine is the same...some slight patchy dirty areas can be seen on the pitch if it's one shade of green when watching the footie, it's not banding as you see this on a static white screen (I have a test pattern disc that I use to test for this as it has a plain white test pattern) and if banding is present you see vertical dark or grey shaded lines that indicate banding. I've done the test and it's not banding but there is definately some DSE present, strangely, like yourself it only becomes an issue when watching the footie and at all other times it's not a problem...very strange.

Thanks for the clarification Oldboy. I agree that it is a very strange effect.

gouster

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I would appreciate your latest thoughts on the banding/DSE issue with the Sony? I recently bought a 47" Panasonic which has a lovely picture but the Banding/DSE is unbearable and I've now arranged for the tv to be returned for a refund. I watch a lot of football and this issue totally ruins my enjoyment. So, I've been considering buying the Sony instead as the reviews suggest the picture is perfect. However, your comments make me think that I might be spending a lot more money but will still have the same issue?

A

Anonymous

Hi Oldboy,

You seem to know what your talking about when it comes to Sony Iwas wondering if you could help me with my delema

re: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/sony-hx750-playback.

Thanks

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gouster said:
Guys, I would appreciate your latest thoughts on the banding/DSE issue with the Sony? I recently bought a 47" Panasonic which has a lovely picture but the Banding/DSE is unbearable and I've now arranged for the tv to be returned for a refund. I watch a lot of football and this issue totally ruins my enjoyment. So, I've been considering buying the Sony instead as the reviews suggest the picture is perfect. However, your comments make me think that I might be spending a lot more money but will still have the same issue?

I can only give you an opinion on my tv so other forum members may have differing opinions, my 46HX853 does show some DSE when watching the footie but it's never ruined it for me as it's not bad atall...during some of the fast panning shots you can pick it up if you are looking for it and not looking at the action but it's never been at a level that I find distracting or detrimental to picture quality or my enjoyment.

If you are unsure then I would advise getting a demo to see for yourself and decide if it's going to be a problem for you as it's the only way to be sure, as is always the case every year even the WHF award winning sets exhibit some issues and anyone looking for the perfect tv is going to be sorely disappointed. I know of only a few forum members who has been left completely satisfied with their 2012 tvs and they are Panasonic GT50 owners with gel the one member who comes to mind as being completely happy with his tv.

Get out there and look at the Sony HX853 and Panasonic GT50 ranges as they are the best of the 2012 crop but issues have been reported with both. DSE and backlight with the HX853 and buzzing and banding with the GT50 are the issues to look for but I think a good example of either tv would leave you very happy with your purchase, it's also a case of if you prefer LED over Plasma as the GT50 is a plasma tv.

Hope that helps in some way.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
gouster said:

I agree with Oldboy, there is some DSE and it does irritate me slightly, but it's not a massive distraction. I haven't come across it before on an LCD TV before, although it seems to be more prevelant on edge lit LED LCDs. At one point I was considering if it was worth sending it back but I read further comments from a few different sources and concluded that it was an almost universal issue with this TV, so decided to stick with it. Like Oldboy, I only ever see it on football, but watch quite a bit so hence the irritation. Everything else in HD is excellent in terms of picture quality, from all sources. Ask to see some football on the TV in a retailer and you'll know pretty quickly if you can live with it or not.

gouster

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for both of your replies. I've actually narrowed down my choice to the two models mentioned - my preference is the Sony but it depends now noticeable the DSE is for me. I've never had much luck with Panasonic before but the GT50 range has to be worth checking out. Thanks again!

gouster

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Over the past few days I've managed to have a good look at both of these models. The Sony had a great SD picture but the DSE/banding was really noticeable and would really bother me as I do watch a lot of football. I also noticed colour bleeding whilst watching some fast moving action. The Panasonic had a noticeable green tint and the picture was quite flickery to my eyes. I don't know if this is a feature of plasma which you adjust to in time? Anyway, I don't think I'll be investing in either one for the time being and will keep looking!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts