Mains conditioners & Transformers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This question is really aimed at Trevor79 but I would be interested in other people's comments and experiences.

I have an Isotek Gemini conditioner that certainly takes some of the "grain " (for want of a better word) out of the sound. I have found though that my system can still sound better at around 4am so I am putting this down to mains issues.

I am thinking about buying the Transformer that Trevor79 talked about in a previous thread:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/bps2000-balanced-power-supply.asp

I wonder though, should I be using this in place of my Isotek or in conjuction with it? I read that conditioners can limit the amps capabilities but I don't seem to find that personally. So, Transformer with or without Isotek. Any views?

A

Anonymous

hi,

MOST hi-fi will sound better at night, usually after mid-night, it is the mains IMO, I found this out years ago, I have an article written all about it but moderators probably won't want you to read it I guess, it explains all about the UK main supply and how bad it is. Mind if I ask why you want the airlink when the Isotek is very good anyway?

A

Anonymous

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. The main reason I want the transformer is that I hope it will give me that 4am sound (at other times) that the Isotek doesn't seem to be able to acheive on it's own.

idc

You could get another Isotek, I use two conditioners and now don't notice the difference between day and night time listening. The noise problem was primarily my laptop.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chris,

Getting a domestic mains supply that is uncoloured, stable on its Earth, Neutral and Live isn't easy.
These BT Mains conditioning I fitted are the best things I have ever come across. With them having 2 mains capacitors in them they filter out spikes and stabalize the through current.

They do such an effective job that having Power kords fitted to the equipment makes no difference what so ever!

A decent sized balanced mains transformer (whilst of a different design to the BT units) should make a decent contribution to stabalization, so is well worth doing IMHO

A

Anonymous

Have been searching for donkeys years for the BT conditioners, never seem to get one as they sell so well

EDITED BY MODS - no trading, please.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc and Trevor79 for your replies.

Not sure about 2 Isoteks idc, do you feed one from the other?

Looking at the price including vat and delivery the airlink transformer is getting a bit out of the pricerange I was hoping for. The BT Mains conditioning looks interesting at the £50 - £60 I have seen it advertised for (They've gone up from the £20 to £30 of old by the look of it as sellers realise there is a demand) Unfortunately the one often offered is the 125va which of course is realy only rated for a load up to 125watts or 0.5 amp which isn't much. I see that you obviously run it using a higher current Trevor but I would imagine its effectiveness is reduced when you get much past its actual designed rating. But maybe you can tell a different story? The plug fuse is technically there to protect the flex against overcurrent rather than the appliance but it obviously protects the appliance too. I'm surprised that a 3 amp fuse isn't used with the BT conditioner considering its rating.

I'm still tempted to get one of these though as the cost is so low by comparison with other units and I could run my Rega Apollo & my XCan PSU through it and still be below the 125watt limit. My very old Audiolab 8000a is another story though as I think it consumes about 300watts, so that might well be pushing the basic BT unit a bit. Do you have more than one BT unit Trevor? What equipment to do you run off them?

idc

I have two mains extensions off a double socket and the two mains conditioners are plugged into the first socket of each extension. The laptop and a lamp run off one and my kit off the other.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chris

On my set up I run 40A wire off the consumer unit (20A CB) straight into a Tacima block via a junction box.
From that is plugged the TV using a RA powerkord.
A 125VA BT unit which feeds my Sub.
A 250VA BT unit that runs my Onkyo 875, Sony RDR970, PS3, BDP-S350.

The BT units have a overload cut out built in, with the mains capacitors they have they handle transient responses well. In fact they store electricity themselves so give battery like qualities.

This ensures the reservoir capacitance inside equipment is less stressed which gives noticeable improvements.

I have never been a lover of fuses, much prefer to use circuit breakers which react quicker where possible. I do not use 3A fuses in the plugs, it's not enough for the draw.

I did find that the short comings of the Tacima was dealt with by the BT units which handle the current demands well.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:Hi Chris On my set up I run 40A wire off the consumer unit (20A CB) straight into a Tacima block via a junction box. From that is plugged the TV using a RA powerkord. A 125VA BT unit which feeds my Sub. A 250VA BT unit that runs my Onkyo 875, Sony RDR970, PS3, BDP-S350. The BT units have a overload cut out built into them, with the mains capacitance they have they handle transiant responses well. This ensures the capacitance inside the equipment is less stressed which gives noticeable improvements. I have never been a lover of fuses, much prefer to use circuit breakers which react quicker where possible. I do not use 3A fuses in the plugs, its not enough for the draw. I did find that the short comings of the Tacima was dealt with by the BT units which handle the current demands well.

I think your 250VA might be just within the limits, i measured my PS3 using 160 Watts or sometimes more and then to power the other equipment?? But i do have an older PS3 that uses more watts compared to the new ones.

Anyway, any link to a website for more info, specs for these units? Are they only sold through Ebay?? Are these also available with euro connectors??

A

Anonymous

I've taken the plunge and now have one of the 125VA BT units on its way. I'll let you know how it sounds after a spot of listening.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Another reason why your system may sound better at night- far less background noise (you'd be surprised...) and a change in your brain chemistry which prepares you for sleep. At your normal bedtime, the melatonin and serotonin levels in the brain rise- causing you to feel tired, but also sharpening the hearing- when you are asleep, your eyes are closed, so the hearing becomes your main threat-detection system. I have often noticed how comparatively lucid and detailed my system sounds when I'm totally shattered!

The mains may well have a noticeable effect, but a lot of it is psychosomatic... (Been waiting ages to use that word in a post!)

A

Anonymous

I've always thought you should spend more on mains, cables and conditioning than you should on HiFi components themselves.

It's amazing how good a humble Alba sounds on the end of a separate spur with proper conditioning on the back of the best power cables there are.

idc

I think a better analogy is you buy a Subaru Impreza, which will run on unleaded, but you get a bit more performance and a big bit of satisfaction by running it on super unleaded instead.

A

Anonymous

I have an Impreza. It's designed to run on 98. HiFi and HT gear is designed to run on standard UK mains. I could put numerous additives into the petrol; I could re-chip the motor but the fact remains the benefits would be marginal, could upset the balance of the car and wouldn't alter the fact I'd be looking at your s-type disappearing in my rear-view mirror!

A

Anonymous

Well... the BT conditioner has made a difference. There is better
"resolution" but the system still sounds at its best at 4am with less
"grain" for want of a better word.

A

Anonymous

chris_t:Well... the BT conditioner has made a difference. There is better
"resolution" but the system still sounds at its best at 4am with less
"grain" for want of a better word.

totally agree that hi-fi sounds better at night when all the country have their electrical items on standby or switched off, now if only I could get my hands on one of those BT boxes!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts