Amp sounds worse plugged into mains conditioner?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The power inspired regenerators are decent ones apparently. But I’m more convinced benefits are achieved dealing with noise rather than rebuilding the sine wave of regenerators, in conventional home systems.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
britain4 said:
I had a look at that thread a while ago but it seemed like pages and pages of only arguing so I’ll have a closer read!

Just scroll past the insults and there is some discussion......there are some quotes from manufacturers of mains products on why they are designed as they are and quotes from amp manufacturers as to why they generally don't like them.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I will be doing a review of a beast of a conditioner soon.

I am hoping to try and show the differences recorded - will see how I get on with that.

For me Mains conditioning helps amps the same as everything else but the Copper Line bar linked to is not a conditioner so you cant judge the whole market from 1 product.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I don’t know if a filter is a different thing to a conditioner but the block I have has a filter in it, it’s the Copper Line Alpha - for some reason has a filter in where the higher end Copper Line doesn’t.

Look forward to reading the review and measurements!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:

Something like this?  http://www.nintronics.co.uk/brands/isotek/isotek-evo3-super-titan.html
One of the best systems i have ever heard was using one of them and the regenerator.

I couldn't fit that in even if I wanted to and boy I do. Actually I would find a way

But the one I will be doing is still a beast :)
Hoping can record the differences just to prove it to TrevC oldphrt ... :)

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:

Something like this? http://www.nintronics.co.uk/brands/isotek/isotek-evo3-super-titan.html
One of the best systems i have ever heard was using one of them and the regenerator.

I couldn't fit that in even if I wanted to and boy I do. Actually I would find a way

But the one I will be doing is still a beast :) Hoping can record the differences just to prove it to TrevC oldphrt ... :)

Look forward to seeing this! Might convince me of the benefits of spending a good chunk of money on one once the rest of my system is up to scratch.

I just had a thought, I have been making other changes to the system lately - all new caps in the speakers and some in the amp, I’ve also read that caps can occasionally sound worse during “break in” to when they were first fitted before improving again, could I be hearing the effects of that and subconsciously attributing them to the mains filter??

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Dont know - I was thinking a few things - one is as you start to take noise out and start to improve sound it can sound less dynamic and less "showy"

Once you have adjusted to the better sound when you go back to the "showy" sound it sounds familiar and nice and appealing but you know its not better.

Thats a very general thing for everything. Dacs in particular have the power to demosntarte this the easiest but its the same for everything.

The other thing is - as things get more honest you actually start to hear the bits of the system more - and maybe they are not as good as you thought - something else to consider.

The other thing is try the amp plugged into the strip on its own - when you start daisy chaining on one mains block it undoes a lot of the benefit - hence why people think plugging the amp in the wall is better. Its not its just getting it away from the other circuits in close proximity imo. Each plug needs seperating from the other ideally and yet they need to share a common ground - hence another issue lol

I wouldnt let it worry you - just dont rule out the whole market on 1 experience, keep an open mind. Lots of good ones out there again imo and fun to try

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Dont know - I was thinking a few things - one is as you start to take noise out and start to improve sound it can sound less dynamic and less "showy"

Once you have adjusted to the better sound when you go back to the "showy" sound it sounds familiar and nice and appealing but you know its not better.

Thats a very general thing for everything. Dacs in particular have the power to demosntarte this the easiest but its the same for everything.

The other thing is - as things get more honest you actually start to hear the bits of the system more - and maybe they are not as good as you thought - something else to consider.

The other thing is try the amp plugged into the strip on its own - when you start daisy chaining on one mains block it undoes a lot of the benefit - hence why people think plugging the amp in the wall is better. Its not its just getting it away from the other circuits in close proximity imo. Each plug needs seperating from the other ideally and yet they need to share a common ground - hence another issue lol

I wouldnt let it worry you - just dont rule out the whole market on 1 experience, keep an open mind. Lots of good ones out there again imo and fun to try

Yeah all those things occurred to me at some point actually, bit like the TV looking worse when you first calibrate it and lose all your bright colours :D I’ll keep the filter plugged in for a few days and see how I like it then.

The second point could be true as well, the CD63 and A400 are commonly raved about (and mine aren’t stock) but the speakers are a bit of an unknown quantity being over 40 years old (all new caps though) although they have a couple of glowing reviews on other forums. I’d like to audition some different speakers and kit and see how that stirs things up.

I’m an open minded person, I’m definitely not writing the idea off, just haven’t seen anything to convince me either way yet!

Day off today so this morning I added IEC sockets to the amp and CD player and some nice matching Copperline Alpha mains cables. I think they have opened things up a tad to the point where I don’t seem to be noticing the negative effects of the filter any more. Hard to say whether things are better than with the stock mains cables and no filter but I think they might just be a tad smoother and more open.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have found the best sound benefit has come from linking one conditioner off the other, but I remember plugging in 2 iso plug type devices into 1 mains stip and not liking the effect of that. That was ages ago so is not a recent test

EDIT - my pal has a clearer audio copperline hub we tested with one IsoPlug type device in that - his is a german made equivalent and it was much better with that device plugged into a socket than without it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Video shows the effect of an isoplug

What noone does in these tests is then plug in other devices next to it and see how noise is there then. I wish I had one of those noise analysers but they are expensive

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have found the best sound benefit has come from linking one conditioner off the other, but I remember plugging in 2 iso plug type devices into 1 mains stip and not liking the effect of that. That was ages ago so is not a recent test

EDIT - my pal has a clearer audio copperline hub we tested with one IsoPlug type device in that - his is a german made equivalent and it was much better with that device plugged into a socket than without it

I’ll try the Isoplug plugged into the Copperline hub thanks for that - at the moment it’s plugged into the other double wall socket.

I’d like to see the effects of a couple more Isoplugs around the house but I only paid £7 for mine, I’m not paying full price for one on my budget, do you know of any cheaper alternatives? I could probably build one easily enough if there aren’t any...

That demo looks quite impressive, I don’t know how significant 1 “unit of noise” is but it certainly is effective in zapping it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheapest ones I have seen are made by Tacima but not cheaper than £7.

I think you need 1 per power strip and 1 power strip per product.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Cheapest ones I have seen are made by Tacima but not cheaper than £7.

I think you need 1 per power strip and 1 power strip per product.

OK thanks for that, they’re certainly a bit easier to swallow than £110 for an Isoplug and usefully cheaper than the RA Silencers.

Listening to it today I think the “new” mains cables have improved things somewhat and I’m now happy with the sound again - this is with all the kit and an Isoplug plugged into the Copperline hub. After I’ve done all the mods on my list I think I’ll be getting another power strip and another plug in filter.

ellisdj said:
Video shows the effect of an isoplug

What noone does in these tests is then plug in other devices next to it and see how noise is there then. I wish I had one of those noise analysers but they are expensive
They needn't be costly. I've got one of these Belkin models and it is very informative. Surprising what contributes to noise, but equally what reduces it. Our old Sony telly reduced the noise my old Krell amp used to generate!

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/belkinpureav-mains-noise-sniffer-ps1999-free-pp

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They dont seem to sell that anymore - one website has it up for 239 notes and still no stock :)

They dont seem to sell the blue horizon one any more either lol

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes one of those would be mighty helpful, I believe Russ Andrews rents them out (but naturally charges an arm and a leg for it) but may be worthwhile for a one-off

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its funny watched a clip of Jeff Rowland talking yesterday about on of his new products a power supply with a bonkers amount of Caps in it.

His words are - nothing gets through with that - its amazing how much better the sound of a system is when you eliminate the noise on the mains hmmm

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
drummerman said:
Fred Scuttle said:
Nothing on the mains can have any effect on performance. You're all hearing placebo.

Now we know once and for all ...

Thats all very well but what if Placebo is not to your taste ? *wink*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMaycNcPsHI

If my system started playing nothing but Placebo I think I’d just have to unplug it full stop...

Nah only joking don’t mind them actually :D if it was though, surely in my case that would be like taking a placebo drug and it making the symptoms worse instead of better, which I don’t think is a thing?

Any additional mains conditioners will definitely be the last thing I do on this system as it stands anyway before I start thinking about changing speakers and/or components.

That PSU looks deeply impressive but something tells me I will never be able to own something like that!!

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Its funny watched a clip of Jeff Rowland talking yesterday about on of his new products a power supply with a bonkers amount of Caps in it.

His words are - nothing gets through with that - its amazing how much better the sound of a system is when you eliminate the noise on the mains hmmm

An amplifier would hum like the clappers if it couldn't eliminate the noise from the mains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts