Hifi shop (Audible fidelity Daventry) refusing to reimburse me, what to do ?

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

I've bought a Denon hoes from them.
They didn't have any in stock so I went home with a display unit.
They told me if I like it they'll send over to my place a brand new one once they got some in stock, If I don't like it they'll just send a transporter to pick it up and refund me.
I paid upfront.

Didn't like, call them, sent a transporter, the shop got it back, emailed me saying they would proceed to a full refund.

Since then they have been consistent blanking all my email, every time I call them they are telling me they will proceed to a refund blablabla

I live very far from the shop (4hours drive), so I literally have no time to get there.

That was 6 months ago and I am still waiting for a refund.

I'm really unsure what to do next, and above all I don't understand what they are trying to do ? Are they really trying to rip me off ? Given as far as I know it's a legit shop and not some dodgy thing operated from a shed in a back yard.

Anyone has ever experienced anything like this ?

Any input would be gladly appreciated.

Many thanks

K

keeper of the quays

1995 said:
Hi all

I've bought a Denon hoes from them.They didn't have any in stock so I went home with a display unit.They told me if I like it they'll send over to my place a brand new one once they got some in stock, If I don't like it they'll just send a transporter to pick it up and refund me.I paid upfront.

Didn't like, call them, sent a transporter, the shop got it back, emailed me saying they would proceed to a full refund.

Since then they have been consistent blanking all my email, every time I call them they are telling me they will proceed to a refund blablabla

I live very far from the shop (4hours drive), so I literally have no time to get there.

I'm really unsure what to do next, and above all I don't understand what they are trying to do ? Are they really trying to rip me off ? Given as far as I know it's a legit shop and not some dodgy thing operated from a shed in a back yard.

Anyone has ever experienced anything like this ?

Any input would be gladly appreciated.

Many thanks
Where are you? If in England? Go to trading standards..if no luck? Then write to them explaining that if they don't refund money you will take court action..£160? Fee for small claims court! If still nothing? Take them to small claims court..they will then have to explain themselves to a judge..they will lose..you get money back plus they have to pay the £160 court fee too! Simples

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Well I spoke to a friend who's a lawyer, he told me to get a sollicitor on the case.

The sollicitor gave me a free consultation where he looked into my case, I showed him the emails and phone calls etc

He told me I would easily win the case (nothing new here really), just have to pay him for 3 hours worth of work (50£ x 3) that would be reimbursed to me anyway with the full refund from the shop, he told he would probably even be able to get some kind of compensation since it's been 6 months now. And the whole "process" should not take more than few months.

But I'm just wondering, are there not any other way really then going through a solicitor...

Reminds me of the guys from Breaking bad... jeeez

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A long time ago (in a universe far, far away) I used to do a bit of debt collecting for the importers/distributors I did some work for.

Hi-fi dealers (like many businesses) can be quite reluctant to pay bills they consider unimportant, if a couple of phone call did not work then I used to do the following.

A brief visit to my local County Court to pick up a few 'official' forms for the small claims. This was a simple form setting out the details of what is owed. I would fill out the details of what was owing and sign the form.

I would then send a photocopy to the dealer with a covering letter saying something like...

"I have, today, prepared a County Court summons in the amount of £XXX plus costs which currently stand at £XXX. Unless I obtain from you full payment by return of post the Summons will be sent to the court for immediate execution".

The text might vary a little with the circumstances but is generally best not to go into too much detail. Just be clear that the money is due and you want it now. Send the letter and copy of the Summons by recorded delivery.

Many courts will give you a couple of forms for free if you ask nicely and so the only cost to you is the postage, worked pretty much every time for me.

jjbomber

1995 said:

They could be going bust. In that case you won't get your expenses back, so be wary of involving a solicitor anyway. Did you pay br credit card? You can get a refund straight from them. Much quicker and free.

K

keeper of the quays

Chances are a cogent letter from a brief should do the trick..you will need correspondence for the court in any event? If you went to small claims you will win..they seem quite stupid and may ignore solicitor letter? Write to them explaining what you intend to do..ring up court find out what fee is? Tell them they will have to pay that as well! Give it a month for them to respond..then issue the court summons ( it's a form, takes five mins to fill in) all the best.

K

keeper of the quays

davedotco said:
A long time ago (in a universe far, far away) I used to do a bit of debt collecting for the importers/distributors I did some work for.

Hi-fi dealers (like many businesses) can be quite reluctant to pay bills they consider unimportant, if a couple of phone call did not work then I used to do the following.

A brief visit to my local County Court to pick up a few 'official' forms for the small claims. This was a simple form setting out the details of what is owed. I would fill out the details of what was owing and sign the form.

I would then send a photocopy to the dealer with a covering letter saying something like...

"I have, today, prepared a County Court summons in the amount of £XXX plus costs which currently stand at £XXX. Unless I obtain from you full payment by return of post the Summons will be sent to the court for immediate execution".

The text might vary a little with the circumstances but is generally best not to go into too much detail. Just be clear that the money is due and you want it now. Send the letter and copy of the Summons by recorded delivery. 

Many courts will give you a couple of forms for free if you ask nicely and so the only cost to you is the postage, worked pretty much every time for me.
very good advice.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Some good advice in the above posts. I sent my builder a letter setting out the issues and what I considered was the reasonable resolution. Whatever the details of the case, a well written letter or form, that focuses their minds on what they need to do can be very effective.

But send it by Royal Mail Special Delivery - it's worth the extra cost over recorded delivery, as it tracks the letter every stage of the journey, and the recipient having to sign it also helps to re-inforce that you are serious about the situation.

K

keeper of the quays

One of my customers owes me £400 I wasn't going to bother with it! But think I will now..going to take Dave.co advice..that should concentrate their thinking..

D

Deleted member 2457

Shocking stuff! Definitely deserved to be named and shamed.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for the advices, much appreciated really

I have found a statutory form (it's a demand for payment), available on one of them .gov website to print. But unfortunately it will work only for debt superior or equal to 750£.

The sollicitor told me I can still use it to scare them, but if they dont pay I wont be able to proceed further as the amount of the debt is less than 750£. If it was more than 750£ and they dont settle the debt within 14days they litterally issue court order to the shop.

dave.co do you know if such forms exist involving sums less than 750£ ?

D

Deleted member 2457

1995 said:
Thank you all for the advices, much appreciated really

I have found a statutory form (it's a demand for payment), available on one of them .gov website to print. But unfortunately it will work only for debt superior or equal to 750£.

The sollicitor told me I can still use it to scare them, but if they dont pay I wont be able to proceed further as the amount of the debt is less than 750£. If it was more than 750£ and they dont settle the debt within 14days they litterally issue court order to the shop.

dave.co do you know if such forms exist involving sums less than 750£ ?
No, you send them a letter from trading standards after you speak to them on the phone first. They tell you which one to send there are quite a few on their website. Then normally they give you a refund, if not you go back to trading standards and ask for more advice. They keep a record of all the notes.

D

Deleted member 2457

1995 said:
Btw I do live in uk and paid with my credit card. How is getting a refund easier whether I pay by card or not ?
I think you can claim from your credit card company.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
1995 said:
Btw I do live in uk and paid with my credit card. How is getting a refund easier whether I pay by card or not ?
Give them a call.

Don't mess around with anything else. Do these 2 steps:

1) Call your credit card company and instruct them to take action.

2) You can apply for a small claims court online:

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

You'll pay a small fee which will be refunded to you by the dealer.

bigboss said:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
gel said:
1995 said:
Give them a call.

Credit card companies have 'dispute' departments. Just give them a call and explain the situation. I once got scammed online and I simply called my credit card company and they investigated and refunded my payment. Try this first, just the cost of a phone call and a bit of your time.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
bigboss said:

^^ This. Give your credit card company a call. They'll give you the money back once you've proved the item was returned and not refunded. Then one of two things will happen depending on their internal policies: they'll either write it off as bad debt not worth pursuing because their costs of pursuing the debt are greater than the money owed, or they'll be all over the shop like a plague of locusts. Either way it won't be your problem.

Good luck.

jjbomber

bigboss said:
Don't mess around with anything else.

The credit cards run the box system. They hold a company's funds for a certain amount of days, depending on the type of company. For example, holiday companies may have to wait 6 months to get their money, depending how long they have been trading, credit rating etc. Private detectives get paid out very quickly, so fraudulent holiday firms say they are private detectives! True story, happened to my sister. Back to the plot. The credit card firms will already have this pot from the company concerned and will take the refund out of that.

The £400 will be credited to your account straight away. Once the credit card have had their proof from both sides, they will make their final decision. Once you forward the email from them admitting they owe you the money, you will win the day.

AudibleFid

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Dear All,

This is Mark from Audible Fidelity. Firstly, I would like to thank all those who have participated in this thread...there is some very useful consumer information here.

I have checked our internal system and can see only one HEOS return since launch...so I may assume this is one and the same. Your refund was processed on 23rd Feb at 2:37PM following our last conversation with you. If there is an issue may I kindly ask you contact me directly using the below email;

mark@audiblefidelity.com

K

keeper of the quays

Mods? You are not doing your job! This isn't the first time someone has used this forum as a hammer to whack a shop! I strongly suggest you do not allow these types of threads in the future? As how can you possibly know what's true and what isn't? This forum is not a court of law and should not be used for such a purpose!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts