Are CD players still fashionable

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Problem with cheap vinyl is that is often worn.

Then you put a rubbish record to murder your lovely cart you spent so much on...
you can clean them and when looking for vinyl in old collectior shops you make sure the condition of the record is good before buying it

D

Deleted member 108165

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I knew there were other reasons I gave it a bye......and also the new vinyl I was buying...sounded just like my cd version.lol.....you really need to find good condition old stuff...and that gets expensive.

Agree with both of you, old records in mint condition are very expensive indeed.

insider9

And for desirable records in decent condition you have to pay. People selling records usually know their worth.

For many even brand new records don't sound as good CD, never mind old worn ones.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
totally agree a specially with vinyl when you open a nice gatefold album and read the lyrics and artwork

+1. There's an experience that goes with buying CDs and particularly LPs that's beyond just the music itself. It's totally lost to the downloading / streaming generation. Their loss, and why should I care, and I don't, except that I begrudge the fact that the indifference of the masses is a threat in the long-term to the way I choose to buy new music. in so far as if me and my kind become too much of a minority, there won't be any new CDs and records any more.

Yes, this is my real concern. As big H said earlier, some artists aren't releasing albums on CD and I've noticed even the price of a lot of market sellers CD's via Amazon have increased markedly.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
yes I’ve noticed that the prices have gone up on amazon for CDs and some I’ve ordered have taken longer to get as well and I not sure about this and this is just a feeling but old catalogue albums are not being made anymore so what ever left in the market place is what’s left so they have to buy that stock where ever they can as some of my orders came from Germany when you would think we would have them albums in the uk .

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
you can clean them and when looking for vinyl in old collectior shops you make sure the condition of the record is good before buying it

Not that easy mate, I've bought what I thought were pristine looking records only to find that they weren't on the first play. No amount of cleaning is going to resurrect a knackered record. I tend to stick with reputable dealers on Discogs for my used vinyl, where you have the right to return if it is not up to the advertised condition.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Problem with cheap vinyl is that is often worn.

Then you put a rubbish record to murder your lovely cart you spent so much on...

You can't really until you play it, yes you can see if it's scratched or warped but it may look ok but not sound it. Vinyl round my way is still very expensive.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Definitely not fashionable. Major has put it nicely in his comment. I personally disagree on streaming to certain extent but can understand this point of view.

My main beef with streaming is that by its nature it is transient, content can be taken away from you literally overnight, and as a subscriber you have zilch control of that whatsoever. Imagine finding out one day that eg 10% of your CDs had been taken away because the distributor or label decided they were no longer allowing access to those albums in your territory. You'd be fuming.

That won't ever change because the industry has been trying for countless years to more tightly control what you can and cannot access; they managed it with DVDs using region coding, but audio has always been problematic because CDs and LPs allowed no such control, other than trying to physically block grey imports and destroy illegal copies. Streaming is their answer from heaven.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Not that easy mate, I've bought what I thought were pristine looking records only to find that they weren't on the first play. No amount of cleaning is going to resurrect a knackered record. I tend to stick with reputable dealers on Discogs for my used vinyl, where you have the right to return if it is not up to the advertised condition.
there used to be a great vinyl shop I used to go to years ago he was purely a vinyl collectior shop and I brought a lot of my black sabbath albums in there .

he used to put the record on his turntable before I brought it and if I was happy I would buy it that was a great shop for a serious collector I paid £250 for a black sabbath first pressing of Masters of Reality mint with poster .

insider9

I absolutely get it, Major. It could be potentially frustrating. My gripe is some albums of the same artist aren't available as recorded on different labels.

However I'm listening to a lot of new music thanks to it. Right now playing new album by Django Django "Marble Skies". Never heard of the band, seen it mentioned on another forum as was looking for something new half hour ago. Not quite my cup of tea but not bad either to be fair. Not sure it would have many plays and the CD is £9.99.

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
there used to be a great vinyl shop I used to go to years ago he was purely a vinyl collectior shop and I brought a lot of my black sabbath albums in there .

he used to put the record on his turntable before I brought it and if I was happy I would buy it that was a great shop for a serious collector I paid £250 for a black sabbath first pressing of Masters of Reality mint with poster .

Yeah they've mostly disappeared now. £250! Good god man you really are a Sabbath fan *smile* Must admit that I've nearly paid a oner for one before, it was original and still sealed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:
Definitely not fashionable. Major has put it nicely in his comment. I personally disagree on streaming to certain extent but can understand this point of view.

My main beef with streaming is that by its nature it is transient, content can be taken away from you literally overnight, and as a subscriber you have zilch control of that whatsoever. Imagine finding out one day that eg 10% of your CDs had been taken away because the distributor or label decided they were no longer allowing access to those albums in your territory. You'd be fuming.

That won't ever change because the industry has been trying for countless years to more tightly control what you can and cannot access; they managed it with DVDs using region coding, but audio has always been problematic because CDs and LPs allowed no such control, other than trying to physically block grey imports and destroy illegal copies. Streaming is their answer from heaven.
the only positive thing I can really say about streaming is that it’s great for finding new music but I like to be in control of my collection I no where it is and I can play it anytime I like and it’s not costing me any money every month .

But in order to find new music I have to pay £10 a month just to raid the streaming library then ones I find new stuff I buy it on cd

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the only positive thing I can really say about streaming is that it’s great for finding new music but I like to be in control of my collection I no where it is and I can play it anytime I like and it’s not costing me any money every month .

+1 it's a fabulous resource for experiencing new music, be it truly new, or as most often in my case, just 'new to me' old music. I tend not to be interested much in truly new music. In fact I just looked at Now 99, and not only did I observe that 12 of the 45 tracks were not streamable in my territory (timing of that couldn't be better considering what I've just been complaining about) but I recognized maybe five artists.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Yeah they've mostly disappeared now. £250! Good god man you really are a Sabbath fan *smile* Must admit that I've nearly paid a oner for one before, it was original and still sealed.
well it was a first pressing and the first album on eBay with the Philips vertigo name on the record goes anywhere from £150-£800 And there wasn’t meany released with the vertigo Philips on the Center pressing and I’ve got one and never played it yet .

Think of streaming as money saved....how many albums have you went ahead and payed for without ever hearing it and just going on reviews.....I bought a shed load...and bought a shed load of crap.....now I can listen and listen again and decide for myself whether or not a album is good enough for me to buy....yes it's a tenner a month but I used to spend £30 a week on stuff I'd never heard before and will never listen to again.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

+1 it's a fabulous resource for experiencing new music, be it truly new, or as most often in my case, just 'new to me' old music. I tend not to be interested much in truly new music. In fact I just looked at Now 99, and not only did I observe that 12 of the 45 tracks were not streamable in my territory (timing of that couldn't be better considering what I've just been complaining about) but I recognized maybe five artists.
I am not really a big fan of modern music I’ve tried it all seem to went a bit **** after the 1990s for me with music I like everything backwards from the 1990s I am not saying there’s an odd band or singer that’s modern I like but it’s getting harder for me to find what I like now so I look backwards at bands or groups that I would have missed back in the day .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Think of streaming as money saved....how many albums have you went ahead and payed for without ever hearing it and just going on reviews.....I bought a shed load...and bought a shed load of crap.....now I can listen and listen again and decide for myself whether or not a album is good enough for me to buy....yes it's a tenner a month but I used to spend £30 a week on stuff I'd never heard before and will never listen to again.
yes I agree on that

streaming is good for finding new albums and that’s what I use it for really

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Yes, get what you're saying, but since having access to Spotify, I buy more CD's than ever... still buy the odd pup, but mostly good choices.

Mac

Macspur said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Yes, get what you're saying, but since having access to Spotify, I buy more CD's than ever... still buy the odd pup, but mostly good choices.

Mac

exactly...you know what you're buying Mac....you have had the chance via Spotify to listen to a piece of work before you hand over your cash to own the medium.....I have waited for a few albums that I normally would have bought....then I get a listen on a streaming site....nope that ain't the album I was expecting to hear...so I've saved the price of the streaming service for that month....but I also find a few that I really like and then buy even more . lol . it's swings and round abouts.eh!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
it really doesn't look like there's much room left on that equipment rack of yours for a turntable.lol,it's heavy jam packed.....but if you do decide to buy one...for your level of kit it ain't gonni be a cheap one....do it once do it right.....rega rp 6 -10 or a Michelle gyrodec.....oooooh.
Or spend a few hundred quid on a heavy Japanese direct drive from the 1970's or 1980's that'll sound like a bolt action rifle compared to the fuzzy round the edges Rega 6 or Gyro.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Are CD players still fashionable

Nope. You're very much in the minority now.

Most people either stream from the internet or they have their own local music files ripped or downloaded. Even hipsters aren't interested in CDs because they're not retro enough yet.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
Agree with both of you, old records in mint condition are very expensive indeed.
I pay an average of £2 per album for my mint condition vinyl.

Which is very expensive compared to the 80p average I pay for mint CD's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts