Are CD players still fashionable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Is this a lot of us miss that we can’t even hear all the benefits of the high res formats and that CDs are in our hearing range so perfect really we all just want a much more dynamic and more detail sound from the recording

Without wanting to take your thread off topic, it's probably best to leave the well-worn hi-res debate for another thread, I just wanted you to understand that FLAC is only a lossless compression codec for storing audio files, a bit like TIFF is for photographs, it does not determine the quality of the audio :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ortofon 2m blue at the very minimum....oh and the (moving coil)audio technica atg ptgii sound great.....and it wouldn't be long before you start wanting to up the phono stage to move into moving coils...cause your a bit like me.lol.
The Yamaha A-S3000 has both and a really good phono stage but I’ve come very close buying a turntable a couple of times now

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Music has almost always been a virtual thing, always heard but never seen in physical format. So there is no longing to own it.

I get what you mean, in so far music itself does not have a physical manifestation, but actually owning an album on a physical format is a big deal for me, and always was.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Is this a lot of us miss that we can’t even hear all the benefits of the high res formats and that CDs are in our hearing range so perfect really we all just want a much more dynamic and more detail sound from the recording

Without wanting to take your thread off topic, it's probably best to leave the well-worn hi-res debate for another thread, I just wanted you to understand that FLAC is only a lossless compression codec for storing audio files, a bit like TIFF is for photographs, it does not determine the quality of the audio :)
ok but it would be nice to fully understand the differences between CDs and high-res streaming and what you really get out of it with the human hearing .*smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
newlash09 said:
Music has almost always been a virtual thing, always heard but never seen in physical format. So there is no longing to own it.

I get what you mean, in so far music itself does not have a physical manifestation, but actually owning an album on a physical format is a big deal for me, and always was.
totally agree a specially with vinyl when you open a nice gatefold album and read the lyrics and artwork

it really doesn't look like there's much room left on that equipment rack of yours for a turntable.lol,it's heavy jam packed.....but if you do decide to buy one...for your level of kit it ain't gonni be a cheap one....do it once do it right.....rega rp 6 -10 or a Michelle gyrodec.....oooooh.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
it really doesn't look like there's much room left on that equipment rack of yours for a turntable.lol,it's heavy jam packed.....but if you do decide to buy one...for your level of kit it ain't gonni be a cheap one....do it once do it right.....rega rp 6 -10 or a Michelle gyrodec.....oooooh.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
totally agree a specially with vinyl when you open a nice gatefold album and read the lyrics and artwork

+1. There's an experience that goes with buying CDs and particularly LPs that's beyond just the music itself. It's totally lost to the downloading / streaming generation. Their loss, and why should I care, and I don't, except that I begrudge the fact that the indifference of the masses is a threat in the long-term to the way I choose to buy new music. in so far as if me and my kind become too much of a minority, there won't be any new CDs and records any more.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
newlash09 said:

I get what you mean, in so far music itself does not have a physical manifestation, but actually owning an album on a physical format is a big deal for me, and always was.

Especially vinyl, I've seen my friends handle them more lovingly than their pets :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

ok but it would be nice to fully understand the differences between CDs and high-res streaming and what you really get out of it with the human hearing .*smile*

Very little difference, from the tests I have seen, there was one a with musicians, sound engineers etc. only 2 of the sound engineers could pick a difference and only at very loud volumes. Basically at normal listening levels I doubt anyone would hear a difference. One difference is noise floor is higher on 16 bit, not something you would notice on Black Sabbath but maybe on quiet classical music you may at high volume. Here is one test: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-ii.html

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
it really doesn't look like there's much room left on that equipment rack of yours for a turntable.lol,it's heavy jam packed.....but if you do decide to buy one...for your level of kit it ain't gonni be a cheap one....do it once do it right.....rega rp 6 -10 or a Michelle gyrodec.....oooooh.
You’re right there is no room on my rack it’s very full but I could buy a one shelf rack that’s just for a turntable that will go at the side of my rack or just mount the TV on the wall which would free up the top shelf on my main rack that would be the only way I could do it .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
MajorFubar said:
newlash09 said:

Especially vinyl, I've seen my friends handle them more lovingly than their pets :)
The old vinyl is the best and there is loads of it around quite cheap if you no what your looking for but not sure about modern vinyl as some of that can be compressed sounding but not with the old vinyl of the 1970-80s early 90s much more dynamic sounding .

insider9

Definitely not fashionable. Major has put it nicely in his comment. I personally disagree on streaming to certain extent but can understand this point of view. Vinyl is very fashionable. But so is listening to Jazz, single malt and cigars.

Sabbath, are you thinking of getting a turntable? Add a glass of Talisker put on Kind of Blue and light up a nice Cuban. Only then you're fashionable ;)

Oh and your going to have to swap Blacksabbath25 for MilesDavis59 *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm a CD and vinyl only man, though the CDs do get ripped. I refuse to subscribe to any streaming sites... I'm just not interested in them, I am totally fixed as to what groups I like so not taken with hearing something different every day. Rarely purchase new CDs now, generally used from the Bay, Amazon and Discogs... you can buy an awful lot of used CDs for £20 month. Was a shame that SACD never really took off as the few I own are excellent.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The old records are certainly going cheap. But everytime I consider vinyl and go watch a un boxing video, I get scared with all the complexity involved in getting it right. Tracking force, weight etc etc....not to mention different tone arms and cartridges. I love how cool and nostalgic they look. No proper hifi setup looks complete without a vinyl spinner. But too cumbersome, and technically complex for me. Unless there was something there, that came fully assembled and all I had to do was plug the wall wart and connect the leads.

It really isn't that hard to setup a budget deck newlash....the cart is usually already on....just have to put on the turntable and set the tracking weight....which isn't too difficult.......you were talking diy speaker builds not to long ago.lol...setting up a turntable would be a walk in the park compared to such a task.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Very little difference, from the tests I have seen, there was one a with musicians, sound engineers etc. only 2 of the sound engineers could pick a difference and only at very loud volumes. Basically at normal listening levels I doubt anyone would hear a difference. One difference is noise floor is higher on 16 bit, not something you would notice on Black Sabbath but maybe on quiet classical music you may at high volume. Here is one test: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-ii.html
That’s interesting so they tested 140 people to see if they could tell between 16bit and 24bit and no one could tell the differences between the 2 bit rates and most of them liked the 16bit but they thought it was 24bit so basically you can’t tell the difference

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
I'm a CD and vinyl only man, though the CDs do get ripped. I refuse to subscribe to any streaming sites... I'm just not interested in them, I am totally fixed as to what groups I like so not taken with hearing something different every day. Rarely purchase new CDs now, generally used from the Bay, Amazon and Discogs... you can buy an awful lot of used CDs for £20 month. Was a shame that SACD never really took off as the few I own are excellent.

Streaming is great for discovering and hearing new music, much I would have never have heard without it. As I said some new artists are not available on cd. Some are still expensive even used. Yes I have bought used cds for £1.27, I don't have many qualms about it, these artists are either dead or very rich and the record companies have had enough of my money.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

+1. There's an experience that goes with buying CDs and particularly LPs that's beyond just the music itself. It's totally lost to the downloading / streaming generation. Their loss, and why should I care, and I don't, except that I begrudge the fact that the indifference of the masses is a threat in the long-term to the way I choose to buy new music. in so far as if me and my kind become too much of a minority, there won't be any new CDs and records any more.

Yes, this is my real concern. As big H said earlier, some artists aren't releasing albums on CD and I've noticed even the price of a lot of market sellers CD's via Amazon have increased markedly.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts